Mashed potato in MDR

Crazy planning mom

I believe the scoop of mashed potatoes is mainstream for MDR dishes from what I read. This is reinforced when I look at the menu on the app. Silhouette centric maybe..maybe..I hope I am misperceiving. Imagine most dishes nightly come with mashed potatoes….come on Silhouette…we can do better!

1 hour ago, Guera53 said:

I believe the scoop of mashed potatoes is mainstream for MDR dishes from what I read. This is reinforced when I look at the menu on the app. Silhouette centric maybe..maybe..I hope I am misperceiving. Imagine most dishes nightly come with mashed potatoes….come on Silhouette…we can do better!

It is not just Silhouette.  Celebrity updated their menus in mid August and most options seem to be downgrades.  I am on Millie next month and the menu shows mashed potatoes every night with at least half of the entrees.  Not sure if the app menu used to show other side options but I see nothing as far as individual sides.

3 hours ago, Guera53 said:

Ive only seen mashed potatoes listed with the classic entrees. This is on Beyond.

4 hours ago, ijscheer said:

But if someone experienced something on one sailing, then it IS "fact."  The fact is that they experienced it.  Perhaps you really meant "..reporting it as policy or fleetwide."

Yes, of course that is what I mean.  It is fact that they experienced it, but the way people often word it does not relate specifically to their own experiences.  They report it as if it were how Celebrity does things across the board.  It's all in the wording.

I was on RCCL last April and with the menu changes, we only saw mashed potatoes all week.  I wondered if they were from real potatoes or if they were instant potatoes. They were served with a round scoop.  We could only get a different side from the sides on the menu and there was never a different potato dish.  One night, all the sides were rice and served with a round scoop. We could not order outside of the menu. I started out thinking the new menus might be OK, but as the week progressed, I felt the choices were so limited if you did not want the side with what you ordered.  We booked Celebrity hoping this would be different.  It seems like it is on some ships.  

Dinner in the main dining room used to be something I looked forward to.  Why cruise lines are dumbing down the food is something that makes me want to look for a different cruise line or a different vacation. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

It is not just Silhouette.  Celebrity updated their menus in mid August and most options seem to be downgrades.  I am on Millie next month and the menu shows mashed potatoes every night with at least half of the entrees.  Not sure if the app menu used to show other side options but I see nothing as far as individual sides.

Individual sides is only something Silhouette does, they (still) have a slightly expanded MDR menu. 

it’s true that everyone’s experience and interpretation of those experiences will be different. But it’s a fact that the menu has recently changed and not everyone is fully aware to the extent of it. 

I would send the mashed potatoes back to the chef and let him know that I though that I was on a cruise ship and not dining in a school cafeteria.

I don't have an exact date, but it has been quite a few years since I have had mashed potatoes...

If you like them fine,  but fine dining?  Not coming close.  Cafeteria dining?  Furrs?  Yes.

Edited by NMTraveller

Instead of mashed potatoes, they will serve* (with 24 hour notice):

french fries

Pommes Frites

julienne fries

scalloped potatoes

baked potato (maybe an up-charge)

boiled potato

potato salad

cubed raw potato

Only kidding. Eat your mashed potatoes and lump it! 😁

As a very minor shareholder, I want them to squeeze every penny profit then can out of cruisers.  And they're doing an EXCELLENT job of it.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I would send the mashed potatoes back to the chef and let him know that I though that I was on a cruise ship and not dining in a school cafeteria.

I don't have an exact date, but it has been quite a few years since I have had mashed potatoes...

If you like them fine,  but fine dining?  Not coming close.  Cafeteria dining?  Furrs?  Yes.

They'll just trash your unwanted food and grab you another one