Skagway: Renting a Car vs Train with Kids?

Generator515

Heading mid July on the Ruby Princess with two kids (9 and 5) and seeking any advice on best bet with kids. The kids want a sled dog meet and Skagway seems to be the port but wife and I interested in the scenery. 

with the above said wondering if driving might be best. Gives us ability to visit Tutshi camp rather than Caribou where I believe it is only a quick stop. 

on top of that it seems we’d be able to stop at the suspension bridge and still make it as far as emerald lake. Does that sound right?

any thoughts on the above? Would be sad to miss the train but we did do the Durango one last summer and while kids liked it they weren’t over the top. 

We took an 8 year old and 3 year old on the train this last summer. My 8 year old enjoyed it enough to make it worth it. We went out on the little outside area a few times. I got one of my old digital cameras for him so he could take some photos and video. My 3 year old fell asleep. So, do with that info what you will. 

10 years ago on my honeymoon we rented a jeep and drove to Emerald Lake and it was a nice calm day of scenery and snackings on food in the jeep and pulling off whenever we wanted to for photos, etc. If we ever go back on an Alaskan cruise, I'd do this again instead of the train. But the train was the best option for us this time with kiddos. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

I agree with the above response. It is cheaper to rent a car and do your own tour. ( prices have gone up for rentals but I think it would still be cheaper).

It is, in large part because the railroad is overpriced. A significant downside, of course, is that if one drives, then full attention must be given to the road and operating safely, thereby severely diminishing opportunities for the vehicle driver to sightsee.

On 9/17/2023 at 9:54 AM, Generator515 said:

Heading mid July on the Ruby Princess with two kids (9 and 5) and seeking any advice on best bet with kids. The kids want a sled dog meet and Skagway seems to be the port but wife and I interested in the scenery. 

with the above said wondering if driving might be best. Gives us ability to visit Tutshi camp rather than Caribou where I believe it is only a quick stop. 

on top of that it seems we’d be able to stop at the suspension bridge and still make it as far as emerald lake. Does that sound right?

any thoughts on the above? Would be sad to miss the train but we did do the Durango one last summer and while kids liked it they weren’t over the top. 

The kids would be best in a car.  You can stop along the road, take your snacks, and have a fun time.

Murray’s Guide to the South Klondike Highway is a great source for what to see along the way.  It has not been updated since Covid (and probably won’t be due to Murray’s health issues).  I just googled it and I think you may be able to download it for free.  It tells you what you will or may see along the way.  We saw a bear eating dandelions at the exact spot that Murray’s guide said a bear sighting might happen.  Get the car rented now and plan to pick it up as soon as the rental place opens.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GTJ said:

It is, in large part because the railroad is overpriced. A significant downside, of course, is that if one drives, then full attention must be given to the road and operating safely, thereby severely diminishing opportunities for the vehicle driver to sightsee.

There aren’t a lot of cars and busses on the road.  It’s more like scenic country driving.  If you see cars stopped along the side of the road, the occupants may be quietly watching a bear in its native habitat.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

The kids would be best in a car.  You can stop along the road, take your snacks, and have a fun time.

Murray’s Guide to the South Klondike Highway is a great source for what to see along the way.  It has not been updated since Covid (and probably won’t be due to Murray’s health issues).  I just googled it and I think you may be able to download it for free.  It tells you what you will or may see along the way.  We saw a bear eating dandelions at the exact spot that Murray’s guide said a bear sighting might happen.  Get the car rented now and plan to pick it up as soon as the rental place opens.

Thank you for mentioning Murray’s Guide! It’s an awesome resource! I’ve rented a mini van for our stop in Skagway in July. My husband and I will be traveling with our teenagers and his elderly parents, and it seems like a better option for us than the train. My in-laws would enjoy the train, but my kids would probably be bored. The train would also be an expensive nap for my husband (source: past scenic train rides). Lol.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Generator515 said:

Thanks all. Decided in driving and booked my rental with Klondike Electrif this morning since Avis was not available. Never driven electric so not excited for that as well. 

Awesome,please update your experience with the electric car.  We decided to rent from them for our Alaska trip in July. (Previously used DIY jeep and had a blast!)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

Awesome,please update your experience with the electric car.  We decided to rent from them for our Alaska trip in July. (Previously used DIY jeep and had a blast!)

I will also hopefully be there in July so a race to see who updates first. Thanks again. 

• Like 1

Still 10 months to go but kids are excited about the choice to drive. Right now my planner stops are: suspension bridge, tutshi dog sledding and emerald lake. Certainly would welcome any other thoughts on top priorities with kids. 

I have bookmarked And planned to print Murray’s guide already. 

• Like 1

Remember to leave time for the return trip, unexpected stops along the way, slow scenic driving, filling the car up with gas before you return it, and enough time to get back on board before the ship sails!    Did you request a visitor’s guide from Skagway visitor’s bureau yet?  

Edited by oaktreerb
  • Like 1

Thankfully - many times Skagway is a very long day in port.

Carcross maybe worth stopping. Sort of like an old town. If anything - to get ice cream.

There is a small desert up there near Emerald Lake. 

Outside of Skagway - there is a cemetery. Probably better for older kids.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Just back from Skagway last week.  Rented a Hyundai IONIQ 5 electric from Klondike cars and it was great.  Plenty of room for 2 kids. You have the day to yourself to go to Emerald lake. You can stop at suspension bridge and Carcross.  It was great, I was going to do the train but changed and so glad I did.  Ioniq5 is so fun to drive and a great car.  Say hello to Nicole the owner.  They are great

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bobrxlex said:

Just back from Skagway last week.  Rented a Hyundai IONIQ 5 electric from Klondike cars and it was great.  Plenty of room for 2 kids. You have the day to yourself to go to Emerald lake. You can stop at suspension bridge and Carcross.  It was great, I was going to do the train but changed and so glad I did.  Ioniq5 is so fun to drive and a great car.  Say hello to Nicole the owner.  They are great

Did you see one of their mustangs? Do you think you may sit up higher in the IONIQ? We have rented a mustang but would love your thoughts!

• 2 weeks later...

We are traveling with 11 in July 2024 (6 adults and 5 kids ages 5-11). The parents made the decision not to do the train and I think for us it's a good call. We need some activity!! My husband and I previously rented an SUV from Avis in Skagway but it was just the two of us. For next summer though, we booked Midnight Sun Excursions - a private van tour that will fit all of us. It has great reviews for anyone looking for a private tour rather than driving yourselves. We are doing the 7-hr. Yukon tour which parallels the train. But we'll be able to stop at Carcross for lunch and on to Emerald Lake with stops for panning for gold, the suspension bridge and a dogsled camp. We're excited about this excursion! 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 6:41 PM, Luv2cruz1000 said:

Did you see one of their mustangs? Do you think you may sit up higher in the IONIQ? We have rented a mustang but would love your thoughts!

Yes, and I have rented one.  They are in great shape, and Klondike is the only private car rental I recommend in Skagway as an alternate to Avis.  

Definitely go the car rental option.  The sites are beautiful.  I have gone as far as Whitehorse, but I do not recommend it.  There wasn't much to see there and unlike most Canadian cities, I found the people to be very cold and unwelcoming.  

However, do try to make it to Carcross.  It's a quirky little village with a cool history.  If you do have time to go a little further than Carcross, the Robinson Roadhouse is a neat little historical site to visit. If you make it that far, that should be your turnaround point.   

18 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Yes, and I have rented one.  They are in great shape, and Klondike is the only private car rental I recommend in Skagway as an alternate to Avis.  

Definitely go the car rental option.  The sites are beautiful.  I have gone as far as Whitehorse, but I do not recommend it.  There wasn't much to see there and unlike most Canadian cities, I found the people to be very cold and unwelcoming.  

However, do try to make it to Carcross.  It's a quirky little village with a cool history.  If you do have time to go a little further than Carcross, the Robinson Roadhouse is a neat little historical site to visit. If you make it that far, that should be your turnaround point.   

I would also recommend the Robinson Roadhouse ghost town as the turn-around point.  Kids can get a kick out of the old buildings, and the very noisy protesting marmots that populate the site.  

I'd also stop at the Carcross Desert for something quite unexpected in the north.  

https://maps.app.goo.gl/28BBe7nK24QG9Z67A

bb952dbb91779875f6afe2afdc9d5d41.jpg

Edited by Gardyloo
  • Like 1

When you are in a car you stop wherever you want to stop as stay there as long as you wish.  If you are on a train you stop if and when they decide to stop and you have to get back on board when they leave.  This difference is the reason that I do not do trains.  In other words in a car you can sightsee.  In a train you only get to whiz by and hopefully see.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 1:30 PM, bobrxlex said:

We have rented e bikes from them in May 2022 and have reserved the IONIQ for next September.  They are a great company to work with.  I did price cars and figured this was my best option (no gas refill!).  

• Like 1