BBQ in Gavelston?

juanarcin

Will be on Allure this October and will be staying in Gavelston for a nite pre cruise. I've always wanted to try Texas BBQ (beef ribs specifically) but have only had the airport stuff during layovers. Hoping someone might know of a good spot in Gavelston. Unfortunately I'll only be there for a night so I'm thinking venturing too far out of Gavelston wont be an option. I'm staying directly south of the port against the opposite beach if that matters. thanks!

13 hours ago, juanarcin said:

Will be on Allure this October and will be staying in Gavelston for a nite pre cruise. I've always wanted to try Texas BBQ (beef ribs specifically) but have only had the airport stuff during layovers. Hoping someone might know of a good spot in Gavelston. Unfortunately I'll only be there for a night so I'm thinking venturing too far out of Gavelston wont be an option. I'm staying directly south of the port against the opposite beach if that matters. thanks!

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I'm sure someone will have an idea for you, just saying that I've lived in Texas all of my 76 years and I've never had beef ribs! When I think of barbecue I think brisket.

There is a chain, State Line BBQ that has magnificent beef ribs.  Locations include El Paso, Austin, San Antonio.

As I've told many, once you've had BBQ beef ribs, you'll throw rocks at pigs.

I just googled and found a handful of BBQ places on the island. Having not eaten at them, I can't specifically recommend one, but you probably won't regret it. And yes, get the brisket 🙂

Of course, last time I was in Houston I was at an airport hotel without a car, so ended up Ubering to Pappas. Yes, I know it's a chain and there is much better, but it solves the craving 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

This wont help the OP, but The epicenter for the best Texas BBQ is Central Texas. I guess there may be good BBQ in Galveston, but I never heard of it. And I have never even seen beef ribs in any BBQ place in Texas.

You have to keep in mind that BBQ styles are a very regional thing and what one person likes another may not care for.

But the best advice I have seen on this topic is....get the brisket...

Doug

41 minutes ago, spunks said:

This wont help the OP, but The epicenter for the best Texas BBQ is Central Texas. I guess there may be good BBQ in Galveston, but I never heard of it. And I have never even seen beef ribs in any BBQ place in Texas.

You have to keep in mind that BBQ styles are a very regional thing and what one person likes another may not care for.

But the best advice I have seen on this topic is....get the brisket...

Doug

State Line BBQ is in several locations in Texas and they certainly do have beef ribs.  

IMHO, beef ribs are far superior to pork.