Utopia of the Seas story in todays paper

30 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Good thing the train starts running to Miami and Ft Lauderdale tomorrow - no interest in sailing on either Wonder or Utopia at all.

Glad everyone has so many options to suit their preferences here. I love Wonder and have no interest in taking the train (or any vehicle) down to South Florida when I can drive an hour to PC.

Also trying to sneak in an Allure cruise next month when she gets here if wife can make it work.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Glad everyone has so many options to suit their preferences here. I love Wonder and have no interest in taking the train (or any vehicle) down to South Florida when I can drive an hour to PC.

Also trying to sneak in an Allure cruise next month when she gets here if wife can make it work.

To each his own. We will never sail on either of those ships. Wonder was a massive disappointment. Loved Allure, but no way we will ever sail on a three night drink till you drop cruise.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

This is one of the reasons we've always loved Royal. There are so many different options for whatever type of cruise vacation you want. Wife and I alone, it's Radiance or Voyage/Freedom Class. Bring the kids, it's Oasis Class. Personally I don't love the big ships, but would sail on any of them if the timing and situation was right. It's just too bad their pricing has gotten so out of hand. We are seriously starting to consider a different type of vacation. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, orville99 said:

To each his own. We will never sail on either of those ships. Wonder was a massive disappointment. Loved Allure, but no way we will ever sail on a three night drink till you drop cruise.

Exactly. "To each his own" sums up cruising for me. So many options.... ships, food, activities. It's only logical that different people have different preferences.

The Allure we have on hold is actually a weird 5-night WED-MON cruise that goes to CocoCay and Labadee, which we like, but it was really the fact that it was a good deal and my teacher wife can possibly swing it without taking too many days off work (school is randomly off that Friday).

We rarely take short cruises but did do a 3/4 B2B last July and had no issue whatsoever with the atmosphere and we are definitely not party people. It felt like any other summer cruise to us. Lots of families, Solarium was pleasant, CocoCay was enjoyable as always, etc. It's unlikely we'd do it again unless the price was right but I'm not opposed to it.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We cruised Wonder last year in a grand suite. Originally we were booked on Harmony, but they changed the ship and we weren’t complaining since it was a brand new ship😁

We don’t routinely book GS but loved the “Suite Neighborhood “. We found we mostly only went down for the shows, maybe evening pizza, or a walk down the promanade. 
You may like it in the suite area.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Exactly. "To each his own" sums up cruising for me. So many options.... ships, food, activities. It's only logical that different people have different preferences.

The Allure we have on hold is actually a weird 5-night WED-MON cruise that goes to CocoCay and Labadee, which we like, but it was really the fact that it was a good deal and my teacher wife can possibly swing it without taking too many days off work (school is randomly off that Friday).

We rarely take short cruises but did do a 3/4 B2B last July and had no issue whatsoever with the atmosphere and we are definitely not party people. It felt like any other summer cruise to us. Lots of families, Solarium was pleasant, CocoCay was enjoyable as always, etc. It's unlikely we'd do it again unless the price was right but I'm not opposed to it.

We are extremely lucky that we’re retired so we can cruise when ships aren’t as crowded. We don’t usually cruise in the summer, it’s just so darn hot…same reason we don’t go to Disney much then either….although going Monday to see the new Moana exhibit and riding Soarin over California again!

• Like 3

Can't wait for the Utopia to come to PC.  As some of you know I am a big fan of the 4 day cruises, I don't care where to .  I don't find them to be booze cruises but maybe I just don't stay up late enough😇  I have 4 or 5  4 night ones on the Allure booked.  I cheated though and added a 3 day to one to make my first B2B

Edit I have zero interest in taking a 3-4 hour train trip down to Miami, then a bus or whatever to the port for a cruise when I live an hour from PC

Edited by molly361
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We don’t routinely book GS but loved the “Suite Neighborhood “.

My exact experience in June (was treated to a GS by a generous family member). It was amazing.

That said, while I didn't frequent the included venues as I normally do since were taking advantage of the suite perks, I'm very much looking forward to going back on Wonder and cruising frugally, like we normally do.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Good thing the train starts running to Miami and Ft Lauderdale tomorrow - no interest in sailing on either Wonder or Utopia at all.

If you have to go to the airport to catch the train isn't is easier/quicker and maybe the same price to just fly there?  By the time I get to MCO to catch a train I could be at PC

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

If you have to go to the airport to catch the train isn't is easier/quicker and maybe the same price to just fly there?  By the time I get to MCO to catch a train I could be at PC

Same, we’re south of OIA and it takes almost 40 min to get there and about an a hour twenty to get to PC from our house…..so we drive.

BUT our Odyssey TA next month will drop us off at FLL, so we’re taking an Amtrak to Winter Haven, then Uber home. We thought about renting a car, but this is less of a hassle.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I never said we would not sail out of PC, just not on either Wonder or Utopia. We currently have 18 cruises booked out of PC between now and April 2025 - just not on those ships.

As for travel to Miami or FLL, we currently hire an Uber Black Limo to get us to Miami or FLL and back, since we don't fly any more if we can avoid it. Once the train begins service tomorrow, we can pre-arrange to have Brightline send an Uber to our house to pick us up and take us to the MCO terminal, and pick us up at the FLL or Miami terminal and take us to the port and then reverse the process to get us back home at the end of the cruise. And, it is less cost to do that than it would be to fly from MCO to Miami not to mention the cost of spending a night in a hotel pre-cruise.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, orville99 said:

I never said we would not sail out of PC, just not on either Wonder or Utopia. We currently have 18 cruises booked out of PC between now and April 2025 - just not on those ships.

As for travel to Miami or FLL, we currently hire an Uber Black Limo to get us to Miami or FLL and back, since we don't fly any more if we can avoid it. Once the train begins service tomorrow, we can pre-arrange to have Brightline send an Uber to our house to pick us up and take us to the MCO terminal, and pick us up at the FLL or Miami terminal and take us to the port and then reverse the process to get us back home at the end of the cruise. And, it is less cost to do that than it would be to fly from MCO to Miami not to mention the cost of spending a night in a hotel pre-cruise.

Since you live in our general area, I’m curious how this will work and what will be the ultimate cost and time involved. Please post in this group, I’m very interested that they will send anUber and ultimately how long it will take from your house to Miami in hours.  

19 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Since you live in our general area, I’m curious how this will work and what will be the ultimate cost and time involved. Please post in this group, I’m very interested that they will send an Uber and ultimately how long it will take from your house to Miami in hours.  

Will do. We are very interested in seeing how well this actually works.

I did a mock booking, and the total cost shows as ~$700 round trip total for the two of us from MCO to Miami (including checked luggage), which is quite a bit less than two round trip flights from MCO to Miami, and about the same cost as we pay each way for an Uber Black Limo.

Here's the info from Brightline:

Get to the world’s top cruise ports in style.

Book a PREMIUM ticket, and you’ll get a complimentary Brightline+ ride, letting you start vacation at your door. Get picked up from your home or hotel, take the train, and take Brightline+ upon arrival to get to your cruise—all in one ticket.

With a PREMIUM ticket, you’ll also unlock access to exclusive station lounges, priority boarding, extra space, as well as complimentary drinks and snacks along the way.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

I did a mock booking, and the total cost shows as ~$700 round trip total for the two of us from MCO to Miami (including checked luggage)

Bummer, more expensive than I was hoping it would be. OIA (MCO) is about an an hour and 15 minutes from where I am in the Daytona area, and would consider giving it a shot if it wasn't too much more than driving down and paying the crazy parking prices at POM.

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

I did a mock booking, and the total cost shows as ~$700 round trip total for the two of us from MCO to Miami (including checked luggage), which is quite a bit less than two round trip flights from MCO to Miami, and about the same cost as we pay each way for an Uber Black Limo.

Book a PREMIUM ticket, and you’ll get a complimentary Brightline+ ride, letting you start vacation at your door. Get picked up from your home or hotel, take the train, and take Brightline+ upon arrival to get to your cruise—all in one ticket.

With a PREMIUM ticket, you’ll also unlock access to exclusive station lounges, priority boarding, extra space, as well as complimentary drinks and snacks along the way.

I didn’t know how to add the ride from the house to the airport, I see you have to book the higher price train ride for that, but paying the higher price includes the house pickup or was there an additional cost??

9 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I didn’t know how to add the ride from the house to the airport, I see you have to book the higher price train ride for that, but paying the higher price includes the house pickup or was there an additional cost??

Couldn’t get Tom that point - probably because they aren’t live to MCO yet. The point to point pickup is in the price. Supposed to be backed out of the total once you actually book.

• Like 1

We go to Disney a lot (DVC members) so I’m ecstatic to have a new ship on these short sailings that are easy to add on to a week at Disney. We were on Indy last year (and it was great, of course), but I’d love a new, Oasis-class ship with more activities for the kids. 

We are doing Wonder after Disney next year but it’s a splurge for our 15th wedding anniversary. Otherwise, a 4-nighter would be perfect. Utopia costs more than Indy did but they are competing with the Disney Wish, honestly. Far cheaper than Wish. 

• Like 2

On 9/21/2023 at 6:35 PM, pyrateslife4me84 said:

We go to Disney a lot (DVC members) so I’m ecstatic to have a new ship on these short sailings that are easy to add on to a week at Disney. We were on Indy last year (and it was great, of course), but I’d love a new, Oasis-class ship with more activities for the kids. 

We are doing Wonder after Disney next year but it’s a splurge for our 15th wedding anniversary. Otherwise, a 4-nighter would be perfect. Utopia costs more than Indy did but they are competing with the Disney Wish, honestly. Far cheaper than Wish. 

We’re also DVC Members…. °o°

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 11:30 AM, orville99 said:

I was a little taken aback by the cost frankly. I was seriously looking into it for our February cruise out of PE. We have a house in Lake Nona. We will probably just rent a car one-way each way. That will run about $225, Not fond of the drive but for about $500 I'll do it. Cruise leaves PE on a Sunday so the drive down that morning isn't too bad. It's an intriguing option, though.

I would be interested in your experience.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

8 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

I was a little taken aback by the cost frankly. I was seriously looking into it for our February cruise out of PE. We have a house in Lake Nona. We will probably just rent a car one-way each way. That will run about $225, Not fond of the drive but for about $500 I'll do it. Cruise leaves PE on a Sunday so the drive down that morning isn't too bad. It's an intriguing option, though.

I would be interested in your experience.

mac_tlc

When I told my husband the price he said we’ll just drive. We don’t cruise much down there but have a cruise in Miami next year. I’m wondering why don’t you drive and park? Wouldn’t that be much less then $500?  We don’t mind taking Amtrak down, we may look into that