On Splendor Now

pappy1022

We're onboard now, having boarded in Copenhagen and are leaving tomorrow. I have a garden variety cold....Other than the last couple of days our weather had been abysmal. Rain, cold, SERIOUS wind and some sort of odd stuff that fell out of the sky in Glasgow...mist? fog? dew? .Actually my husband spotted a few stray flakes early one morning. I KNOW I, along with probably a lot of other people who got a cold, probably got one there. Wind was blowing the dog off the chain!

Anyway, I'm not blaming Regent, the nice waiter, passengers, anyone for how I got the damn thing!

Yes, there may be a couple of covid casualties, out there and the usual number with the GI thing or a respitory bug, but my guess is the common cold. Of course NOBODY gets just that anymore. I guess it has to be something more exotic.....just me sayin'...(giggle!)

• Like 9

8 hours ago, flossie009 said:

………. and that passerby decides it is a good idea to share private information on social media 🙄

Actually, the identity of the Covid patient was not revealed. So, private Information was not shared.

Thanks to the OP for the heads up. Thanks to the pax who got themselves tested, and removed themselves from public exposure.

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 2

We have just left  the Splendor. I wish they had been more "up front" about the situation. As we all know that when stories start in the rumor mill they get exaggerated. Our butler was mum as were all those we asked. My husband and I will get tested once we get home. There were many who seemed to have upper respiratory issues not sure if RSV or Covid.....🤨

We were on board Splendor in Greenland, during August, when several people had "cold symptoms".  General consensus was that it was exactly that and having heard a few express the wish that they had thought to bring simple cold/flu medication with them (because such things are surprisingly difficult to obtain at reasonable cost whilst on board) I left a little note in the roll call for the cruise following ours.  We never thought it was anything more than that and saw/heard nothing more suspicious or alarming.  It's hard to work out what more "they" can do about such things, beyond the general, everyday advice to maintain sensible hygiene - wash hands frequently and to be responsible and stay out of public areas when feeling poorly.   Whatever the reason, the general advice is the same.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Boatie 1 said:

We have just left  the Splendor. I wish they had been more "up front" about the situation. As we all know that when stories start in the rumor mill they get exaggerated. Our butler was mum as were all those we asked. My husband and I will get tested once we get home. There were many who seemed to have upper respiratory issues not sure if RSV or Covid.....🤨

Cruise line staff are "discouraged" from discussing it...on all cruise lines that I am aware of.

2 hours ago, Gilly said:

We were on board Splendor in Greenland, during August, when several people had "cold symptoms".  General consensus was that it was exactly that and having heard a few express the wish that they had thought to bring simple cold/flu medication with them (because such things are surprisingly difficult to obtain at reasonable cost whilst on board) I left a little note in the roll call for the cruise following ours.  We never thought it was anything more than that and saw/heard nothing more suspicious or alarming.  It's hard to work out what more "they" can do about such things, beyond the general, everyday advice to maintain sensible hygiene - wash hands frequently and to be responsible and stay out of public areas when feeling poorly.   Whatever the reason, the general advice is the same.

Good advice. We will take some cold and cough medicine on our Mariner cruise. I don’t understand why everything is COVID or RSV …why not assume an old fashion cold until proven differently. 

• Like 4

On 9/22/2023 at 8:38 PM, cruiseluv said:

Has nothing to do with masks. I was referring to the fact that the ship staff is discussing the passengers medical condition apparently in the hallway, within earshot of a passerby. Not cool

Actually if you read pappy's post it doesn't say anything about the crew discussing anything. He stated that he walked by the cabin near his and "they were delivering meds specific to COVID and telling the person to stay isolated for the remainder of the trip."  It indicates they were giving meds and instructions to the passenger in his or her cabin.  No where does he indicate the crew was discussing it in the hallway. 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Actually if you read pappy's post it doesn't say anything about the crew discussing anything. He stated that he walked by the cabin near his and "they were delivering meds specific to COVID and telling the person to stay isolated for the remainder of the trip."  It indicates they were giving meds and instructions to the passenger in his or her cabin.  No where does he indicate the crew was discussing it in the hallway. 

That is worst in my opinion. If Covid they should n’t have been in the cabin but outside handing the stuff over. If they weren’t talking about the meds how does he know they were for Covid?!That sounds even more mosey to me. 

3 hours ago, rcandkc said:

Good advice. We will take some cold and cough medicine on our Mariner cruise. I don’t understand why everything is COVID or RSV …why not assume an old fashion cold until proven differently. 

That is what we always did in the past. Both meds for cold and gastric illnesses. Too many times in the past the ship has sounded like a TBWard after about a week or the buffet has disappeared. Nothing has changed really. The advice to stay healthy is exactly the same as it always was! Wash hands often, stay in you cabin if you are sick, get the vac if there is one…..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cwn said:

That is worst in my opinion. If Covid they should n’t have been in the cabin but outside handing the stuff over. If they weren’t talking about the meds how does he know they were for Covid?!That sounds even more mosey to me. 

I don't disagree with you at all.  Not being there I have no idea how the medicine was identified or comments overheard.  So I figured I'd pass on how I read comment and point out that the way I read it, the crew was not talking in the hallway, but likely, as you said, not in the cabin but giving instructions and delivering medicine at the door. 

Edited by papaflamingo

On 9/22/2023 at 10:16 PM, cruiseluv said:

Wow, so much for privacy!

The name of the person was never identified and I have no clue who it was. I was just letting people on future cruises to come prepared because it is out there and spreading quickly.

• Thanks 1

I wonder if Regent will need to take Splendor off line for some time for a deep cleaning?  It will be making its TA to Miami in November and will need to pass CDC inspection then.  High numbers of cases of either norovirus or COVID would impact its score.

2 hours ago, loriva said:

I wonder if Regent will need to take Splendor off line for some time for a deep cleaning?  It will be making its TA to Miami in November and will need to pass CDC inspection then.  High numbers of cases of either norovirus or COVID would impact its score.

I am not even sure that ships outside of CDC jurisdiction need to report cases or even have to test suspected cases.

Here is what we saw and heard as we were walking down the hall toward our cabin. The Regent person was standing outside the cabin door talking to a person who was inside the cabin. He was explaining to the unidentified cruiser how much and when to take Paxlovid. We heard him say Paxlovid and we all know this is a drug to help minimize the impacts and length of illness from COVID. The previous evening, the captain announced that several people had reported respiratory illness. The next day, every ship employee was wearing a mask. We noticed that a few of the employees that we interacted with every day weren’t’ t seen anywhere on the ship. Mask usage by cruisers increased but it was still a minority of the passengers. From that day forward, they announced that everyone should be washing their hands thoroughly and using hand sanitizer often. You can believe what you want to believe but there was no doubt in our minds that multiple people with COVID were on the ship. Again, the only reason I reported this was for the people coming on board after our cruise was done, so that they could be prepared to whatever extent they deemed necessary. Our cruise enjoyment was not impacted. We wore masks on the tenders, buses and anywhere lots of people were congregated in close proximity. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

I was quarantined with Covid for 5 days last October on a Celebrity transatlantic. My husband overlapped me by one day, so one or the other of us was trapped in the cabin for 10 days. There was no way to keep it a secret. You could tell by the dishes outside the door (no one allowed in), the person taking our temps and handing us meds at the doorway, and the dirty linens we had to leave in sealed plastic bags outside the door, among other things - like the crew in hazmat suits that had to clean the cabin when we finally got out or the person with the fogger who walked us from the med center . Privacy goes out the window when you are in quarantine. But there were no announcements of the number of cases by the captain or discussion by the crew. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lorimay said:

I was quarantined with Covid for 5 days last October on a Celebrity transatlantic. My husband overlapped me by one day, so one or the other of us was trapped in the cabin for 10 days. There was no way to keep it a secret. You could tell by the dishes outside the door (no one allowed in), the person taking our temps and handing us meds at the doorway, and the dirty linens we had to leave in sealed plastic bags outside the door, among other things - like the crew in hazmat suits that had to clean the cabin when we finally got out or the person with the fogger who walked us from the med center . Privacy goes out the window when you are in quarantine. But there were no announcements of the number of cases by the captain or discussion by the crew. 

There won't be any announcements on any cruise lines for the same reasons they don't test for it anymore. We are living with it. Just assume there is Covid on every ship and take whatever precautions you and your doctor feel are necessary. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

There won't be any announcements on any cruise lines for the same reasons they don't test for it anymore. We are living with it. Just assume there is Covid on every ship and take whatever precautions you and your doctor feel are necessary. 

Quite right. I’ve picked up Covid on two different cruises now. It’s out there everywhere.

22 minutes ago, cruisinchrissy said:

Quite right. I’ve picked up Covid on two different cruises now. It’s out there everywhere.

I did, too.  Could have been onboard...or while on an excursion or in port somewhere ...or on the flight.   Pretty much impossible to know when or where.

• Like 3