It’s Killing Me To Not Book Another Cruise

laudergayle

I do very much want to cruise in February and/or May ‘24.  But, I must resist.  First because I don’t want to be beyond final payment when NCL introduces their “for your convenience “ ‘24 changes.  Last year, we had two cruises in Q1 ‘23…that changed significantly from booking till after final payment.  Side note:  Delta just gutted their loyalty program “to make it easier (to follow, certainly not earn)”…mega uproar.

But the larger driver of this self-inflicted pain…NCL cruise prices are too high. And their European itineraries are too long for those who can’t afford (time or cost) of 10+ day cruises.

So here we sit, patiently (not) waiting for mid-January to book that NCL cruise we have earmarked in our vacation planning, all the while checking a viable competitive cruise line (MSC).

Time will tell.

Okay…I realize this post is an op-ed (loved the daily home-delivered newspaper).  I also know we could book and request FCC…but, not convinced NCL is our cruise line for 2024+.  

This post is as much for us NCL loyalists as it us for the NCL corporate monitors.

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 11

43 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

I do very much want to cruise in February and/or May ‘24.  But, I must resist.  First because I don’t want to be beyond final payment when NCL introduces their “for your convenience “ ‘24 changes.  Last year, we had two cruises in Q1 ‘23…that changed significantly from booking till after final payment.  Side note:  Delta just gutted their loyalty program “to make it easier (to follow, certainly not earn)”…mega uproar.

But the larger driver of this self-inflicted pain…NCL cruise prices are too high. And their European itineraries are too long for those who can’t afford (time or cost) of 10+ day cruises.

So here we sit, patiently (not) waiting for mid-January to book that NCL cruise we have earmarked in our vacation planning, all the while checking a viable competitive cruise line (MSC).

Time will tell.

Okay…I realize this post is an op-ed (loved the daily home-delivered newspaper).  I also know we could book and request FCC…but, not convinced NCL is our cruise line for 2024+.  

This post is as much for us NCL loyalists as it us for the NCL corporate monitors.

I agree. I’ve been looking at cruises for the first 3 months of next year and as a solo traveller the prices seem crazy! So much more than this year. Waiting patiently to see what the future holds! 

• Like 3

We got excited on our Greece cruise on the Jade in August and booked Egypt for 16 days for 2024 but once we got home we realized we can't do a 16 day cruise and that cruise was going places we really didn't have a desire to go to. Plus the cost! $10,000 for a balcony!

So we started looking at other cruise lines and found MSC has what we want port of call wise so we jumped ship on NCL and applied for loyalty match with MSC and a substantial savings so Egypt here we come!

But we did book Africa with NCL for Jan 2025 as they have the ports of call we are interested in, we really enjoy NCL but yes the prices are getting out of control so we will continue to look at other options

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mcmomny said:

But we did book Africa with NCL for Jan 2025 as they have the ports of call we are interested in, we really enjoy NCL

We like NCL, too.  But…our recent 4-day MSC trial was really enjoyable .

We also have a 2025 NCL cruise booked for Lisbon, Canary Islands, Morocco (Casablanca…bucket list).   It’s 9 days…which is the max we can do on an international cruise.  We’re watching the prices and competition.  

• Like 3

I have NCL cruises booked through 2025 and they are all at reasonable prices.  I book early and often.  By booking early, I don't have to "worry" about noise like the DSC going up (again).  I also have the promos locked in.  I really don't understand what the fuss is about.  If another cruise line offers a better value for you, then book it now! 😎

• Like 9

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

Time will tell.

It's not the "for your convenience" changes that worry me it's the changes made as part of their "sail and sustain program". And I swear they are going down the same road to the bottom as the airlines so don't be surprised if they gut their lattitudes program. But NCL is not the only line doing this. Every time I browse another lines site it's more of the same. Sign of the times I guess.

• Like 3

And RCL changed 2 months of Panama Canal cruises (to-from Colon) to southern Caribbean "for the travelers convenience".   Colon isn't the big travel destination, and flying there simply to visit ports you can reach from San Juan or Miami isn't a convenience.

RCL CEO has stated that they want to close the "cruise price gap" compared to land vacas.  Read that as they are raising their rates.  All others will follow.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yakcruiser said:

It's not the "for your convenience" changes that worry me it's the changes made as part of their "sail and sustain program". And I swear they are going down the same road to the bottom as the airlines so don't be surprised if they gut their lattitudes program. But NCL is not the only line doing this. Every time I browse another lines site it's more of the same. Sign of the times I guess.

Delta recently gutted their latitudes program called Skymiles

now these days there is no such thing as brand loyalty. there is no more perks for being a past passenger on airlines/cruises 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mskaufman said:

Are the anticipated changes just to the loyalty program or do we expect changes to what is included in the cruise fare or promotions.

They have not announced any new changes lately. we are just speculating. I would not bet on any changes being for the good though.

• Like 1

Hear Hear 😳 😟  Anyone holding their breath for the upcoming exciting new entertainment from NCL promised this summer - end of September around the bend, Fall is in the air. 

All the little things that didn't matter, or shouldn't are adding up and not seeing anything to cheer about, really.  One change is 99% certain ahead for 2024 - DSC will be going UP again ... COLA. 

The grass aren't necessary greener across the ocean with the competition ... and I am not cheering about all this, far from it.  Apparently, Haven still selling out despite sky high prices and minimum asking bids, plus the live bidding frenzy - more for less.  Must be lucrative with the group chartering business too. 

OP aren't the only household that hit that full stop button on cruising lately or at least pause to question, what the heck is one buying.  The Joy's CTN next January and February, I mean ... urrrh, TA is dirty cheap ... long sea days lover, nice prices out there - especially if one is near Miami or close enough to Florida. 

Sadly, perhaps not, inflated and elevated prices are out there just about anywhere you look - nicer land hotels, if you haven't look or price them lately - sit down firmly first before you click on the keyboard. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, yakcruiser said:

And I swear they are going down the same road to the bottom as the airlines so don't be surprised if they gut their lattitudes program.

i'm sure they'd like to, but the challenge for NCL in gutting the latitudes program is that, unlike airlines, the loyalty status is incrementally earned over a lifetime, whereas airline elite status is earned every year based on the prior year's travel and/or spend. (airlines have lifetime status options, as well, but they are generally earned at 1 and 2 million lifetime miles and until you get there, you still have to earn status the old fashioned way.)

airline status is now largely earned and calculated by how much you spend. NCL does that in a way by rewarding extra latitudes points for staying in a suite and the haven, but the person who spends 8K on a ten day cruise earns essentially the same points as one who spends 30K. that's something for them to potentially look at.

• Like 1

We  wanted to take a cruise this January or February of 2024. We are sapphire with NCL and have had some lovely vacations that I feel were worth the money. However....February of 2023 on the Getaway  we experienced what MIGHT happen again if we did that. Overcrowding, ridiculous pricing (that's on me), cancelled ports, late arrivals, noise and chaos. And we were in the Haven! I jus can't chance it again. Makes me sad. Hopefully things will settle down and return to what it used to be.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Time will tell.

Try another cruise line.  If the price and itinerary fit, you may find you will like a little variety in your cruise menu.

I understand about the NCL European itineraries.  They are a bit longer.  But, I've seen some really good deals on them, too.

My hope is that NCL will offer some of the coupons they sent out in the middle of this year.  That netted some great deals in Alaska (and Europe) which I took advantage of.

• Like 1

First, I wish you many, many cruises that are affordable and enjoyable! Don't tell anyone else, but I really think you should change your framing of booking a cruise. Instead of booking several months out, book within the two to three month timeframe, especially if you don't care about the Haven. Four out of our five sailings have been booked within final payment. I will admit the one booked outside of final payment was the cheapest cruise we took - coupons helped with that. 

I'm not sure how flexible you can be, but if you're able to be flexible, then waiting is the best possible thing. I won't argue with anyone who claims otherwise. I just know we have saved considerable amounts of money by waiting for that pesky final payment to go away. We actually could have saved an extra $1,500 if we had waited to book our upcoming cruise by two weeks. Haven was still available and the price dropped $750 per person. Shoot! We should have waited. 

I will agree with you that prices are absolutely outrageous for many of the cruise lines, not just NCL! Why people keep booking (far out) in these conditions is beyond me. I guess they just like giving NCL their hard earned money. So, wait until December to book your February cruise. I know it's a long way away, but start monitoring prices on three to five cruises you really want and I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised. We always have been. And, you'll probably know what horrors the C-Suite as NCL (NCLH) are going to inflict upon their guests.

I doubt you'll ever find me voluntarily subscribing to the book early mantra espoused by others. But, hey, I'm not going to knock it if it works for them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

book within the two to three month timeframe

Lol…that’s what’s killing me.  I am an over-planner… having this blank canvas in my head knowing what I want and not being able to create it.

I wrote this post yesterday…and guess what, an Alaskan cruise I have been following for months now just dropped pp price almost in half with this new sale…and the $250/$500 cruise first sale is on right now. And…we’re going to use our NCL card points to upgrade to a balcony which is $1300 pp more than the OA we booked.

I’m elated…Vancouver to Seward, mid-May, balcony…after the CF down payment we owe a little less than $2000. Probably the best deal we’ve ever gotten on NCL.

Yay me🤩

• Like 10

On 9/22/2023 at 1:17 PM, laudergayle said:

Lol…that’s what’s killing me.  I am an over-planner… having this blank canvas in my head knowing what I want and not being able to create it.

I wrote this post yesterday…and guess what, an Alaskan cruise I have been following for months now just dropped pp price almost in half with this new sale…and the $250/$500 cruise first sale is on right now. And…we’re going to use our NCL card points to upgrade to a balcony which is $1300 pp more than the OA we booked.

I’m elated…Vancouver to Seward, mid-May, balcony…after the CF down payment we owe a little less than $2000. Probably the best deal we’ve ever gotten on NCL.

Yay me🤩

This is amazing!! Haha, so much for not booking a cruise, eh? So happy you're heading to Alaska!! Which ship will you be on? 

I'm not sure I'm an over-planner. I'm definitely an over-consumer of content. I claim this helps me, but I really don't know that it does. No Excel tables and pivot sheets or handmade calendars here. The info all lives in my head which is a giant sieve! 

But really, so happy you were able to find a great (and affordable) Alaska cruise. First time up there?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

This is amazing!! Haha, so much for not booking a cruise, eh? So happy you're heading to Alaska!! Which ship will you be on? 

I'm not sure I'm an over-planner. I'm definitely an over-consumer of content. I claim this helps me, but I really don't know that it does. No Excel tables and pivot sheets or handmade calendars here. The info all lives in my head which is a giant sieve! 

But really, so happy you were able to find a great (and affordable) Alaska cruise. First time up there?

It really was a pleasant surprise to find this price drop…and for the date and cabin category we had been watching…it was meant to be (lol).  And, final payment is not until Jan. 15.  It is the 5/13 Jewel.  We did the Bliss in May 2022 which has short times in port…that and we saw most of Alaska from our cabin due to Norovirus.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2023 at 1:17 PM, laudergayle said:

Yay me🤩

You did your homework and now it paid off. Very happy for you!

This past May/June, I was on the Jewel B2B Vancouver to Seward to Vancouver and loved it. The sailing back to Vancouver was less than half the price of the flight back from Anchorage and I was able to avoid a 13 hour flight, so it was a no brainer.

One can still find good deals on NCL.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, laudergayle said:

It really was a pleasant surprise to find this price drop…and for the date and cabin category we had been watching…it was meant to be (lol).  And, final payment is not until Jan. 15.  It is the 5/13 Jewel.  We did the Bliss in May 2022 which has short times in port…that and we saw most of Alaska from our cabin due to Norovirus.  

Fares can drop again. I priced the Alaskan cruises last year and found the Jewel to offer the best value, at least for a solo. It was my first time sailing the Jewel. I loved the ship, the crew and of course the itinerary. I can be persuaded for a redo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Oh no! After one of our cruises, I came back with COVID and my husband came back with Norovirus. Our house was a hilarious disaster of sick for a week! Here's to hoping for a healthy Alaska return, full of adventure! Now start saving up for those pricey shore excursions. 

Jewel is a ship I would consider at some time in the future. All the reviews seem to be fantastic!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

One can still find good deals on NCL.

Flexibility is one of the other element when these deals pop out at you (us ...) 

DW and I having our usual continental breakfast at home this morning, looking at spam (email) from an online TA offering free DSC (gratitudes is the term they use) for 7 night sailings or longer, first 2 guests, balcony and above, exclude sailaway rates - most NCL ships ... except Viva & Prima.  OMG, more TA bargains, 10 days or more for less, some much less than the average 7 nights donut runs out of Miami, some are last minutes but others aren't.  (refer to "NCL Insiders" so some of you probably know this)  If we weren't already committed near term already.  

• Like 3