Formal Nights On Cruises to Norway

mlbcruiser

Wondering if formal nights on Princess cruises in Norway are less formal like they are on Princess cruises in Alaska. Actually, we were just on Royal Caribbean in Alaska and it also seemed less formal than formal than we have seen on cruises to other areas.  Formal nights seem to be becoming less formal across-the-board anyway in recent years. Since Norway is going to be cooler and likely wetter than many warmer areas, I’m thinking people may carry the casualness over a little bit into formal nights a bit but we’ve never cruise to Norway, so I’d like to hear the experience of those who have if it was only moderately priced, main stream cruise line.

Thanks for any info!

Here is a video from last year aboard the Sky Princess for a Norway cruise on a Formal Night.

Look in the background and you can see that some are dressed as Princess requests and some dressed casual. Personally, I'd at least wear a wool sportcoat and slacks because as you say, it can get cold there going out on deck before or after dinner.

https://youtu.be/_aOTVkYoZTY?feature=shared

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

Here is a video from last year aboard the Sky Princess for a Norway cruise on a Formal Night.

Look in the background and you can see that some are dressed as Princess requests and some dressed casual. Personally, I'd at least wear a wool sportcoat and slacks because as you say, it can get cold there going out on deck before or after dinner.

https://youtu.be/_aOTVkYoZTY?feature=shared

Ha !  Actual evidence,  that a % of the cruisin' crowd does go all in on formal night.  

• Like 4

As you have real concerns about dressing formally, you should pack those formal clothes so that you can please the others on board who prefer to dress that way.

I've never been on a Norway trip but would still dress down comfortably as I do for all other Princess cruises, but that decision is up to you. 

• Like 2

We were on the 14 day Norway on Sky in August. My impression was that there were MORE people dressed 'fancy' than on some of our other cruises. I think it was because a high percentage of the  people were Brits---many of whom may have driven to the port.

DH wore a long sleeved shirt with a tie--no coat. I dressed 'nicely'. We did not feel out of place as certainly many others were dressed similarly.

Wear what you are comfortable wearing and have luggage space to bring.

• Like 2

Thanks for the information. And the video link. Believe it or not, I won’t be uncomfortable if I’m not really dressed up. No I won’t go as a slob. Then I would feel out of place. I try to at least make sure I am wearing something that is a little bit nice and not what I would wear around on a daily basis. But just like one of you mentioned, I have heard other people and even read that Europe tends to be more dressy. So I’m not surprised to hear that. We have never sailed from England, but have from Spain and Italy, and I would say formal nights tend to be a little more formal on those cruises as well. i’m not sure how many formal nights are on a 60 night cruise but I am guessing maybe three? We used to dress up a lot for a formal night in our earlier years of cruising. However, we are older now and we all know what the luggage restrictions are. My husband’s  often just used a dress shirt and tie to serve as his formal wear. Or a Guayabera shirt in the Caribbean. Thanks for the input everyone!

• Like 1

I did the trip to the midnight sun (Norway).  You could tell the Brits from the US by how they dressed on formal night.  The Brits would come prepared with formal wear and the colonists (USA) would dress down.  It did not change the atmosphere or food because I chose the later.  The sun was up for three days.

Edited by satxdiver
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, satxdiver said:

I did the trip to the midnight sun (Norway).  You could tell the Brits from the US by how they dressed on formal night.  The Brits would come prepared with formal wear and the colonists (USA) would dress down.  It did not change the atmosphere or food because I chose the later.  The sun was up for three days.

Think we were on the same cruise. Amazing how warm it was at North cape and than as soon as we turned south temp was down to low 50's.

On 9/23/2023 at 6:52 AM, MissP22 said:

As you have real concerns about dressing formally, you should pack those formal clothes so that you can please the others on board who prefer to dress that way.

I've never been on a Norway trip but would still dress down comfortably as I do for all other Princess cruises, but that decision is up to you. 

You can still dress nicely and be comfortable, I do it all the time.  I don’t understand why people think it’s either way one or the other.  Unless, of course,  you plan on wearing your gardening shorts and an old tshirt and Crocs with socks.  Honestly, you don’t need a cocktail dress and stilettos or a tux to look nice and feel comfortable.  You might even enjoy it!  

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

You can still dress nicely and be comfortable, I do it all the time.  I don’t understand why people think it’s either way one or the other.  Unless, of course,  you plan on wearing your gardening shorts and an old tshirt and Crocs with socks.  Honestly, you don’t need a cocktail dress and stilettos or a tux to look nice and feel comfortable.  You might even enjoy it!  

As soon as anyone posts that they don't care to dress formally, others immediately chime is with comments like they'll be wearing raggedy T shirts, shorts, baseball hats and such which isn't the case in most instances. 

Our formal clothing is pretty much the same as on casual evenings, which is not a suite jacket for my husband or heels & cocktail dress for myself. I haven't worn heels in over 40 years, especially on a cruise ship. 😉

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

As soon as anyone posts that they don't care to dress formally, others immediately chime is with comments like they'll be wearing raggedy T shirts, shorts, baseball hats and such which isn't the case in most instances. 

Our formal clothing is pretty much the same as on casual evenings, which is not a suite jacket for my husband or heels & cocktail dress for myself. I haven't worn heels in over 40 years, especially on a cruise ship. 😉

Women who wear high heels on a cruise ship is asking for trouble.  The ship can and does have movement from side to side sometimes without warning.  I quit wearing a tie back in the 90's at work so sure won't wear one now.  Also in all my jobs as a professional engineer I never was requited to wear a suit or even coat.  So for me to cruise, a tie or coat is out of the question.  

36 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

Women who wear high heels on a cruise ship is asking for trouble.  The ship can and does have movement from side to side sometimes without warning.  I quit wearing a tie back in the 90's at work so sure won't wear one now.  Also in all my jobs as a professional engineer I never was requited to wear a suit or even coat.  So for me to cruise, a tie or coat is out of the question.  

I think everyone should wear what they want, but there is nothing dangerous about high heels for women who are accustomed to wearing them.Ships officers all wear them on formal nights and dancers have worn them for the trickiest steps requiring the most balance forever. Cruise ships are way too stable to require flat rubber soled shoes at all times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

I think everyone should wear what they want, but there is nothing dangerous about high heels for women who are accustomed to wearing them.Ships officers all wear them on formal nights and dancers have worn them for the trickiest steps requiring the most balance forever. Cruise ships are way too stable to require flat rubber soled shoes at all times.

When we first started cruising and up until a few years ago I wore very 👠 high heels every single night and never once lost my balance even in rocky seas.  I could run through an airport in heels faster that most people in sneakers.  However, that darn arthritis in my knees ended that.  There are times still when I just wish I could.  

1 hour ago, satxdiver said:

Spoken like a man who has never worn high heels!  lol. Never underestimate a woman and her footwear. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

When we first started cruising and up until a few years ago I wore very 👠 high heels every single night and never once lost my balance even in rocky seas.  I could run through an airport in heels faster that most people in sneakers.  However, that darn arthritis in my knees ended that.  There are times still when I just wish I could.  

Spoken like a man who has never worn high heels!  lol. Never underestimate a woman and her footwear. 

could be an offsetting foul since most men are ignornt in the ways of  form and fashion. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, david63 said:

If I was even hint at that to my wife I would be in danger of loosing certain parts of my anatomy☹️

Smart man.  Never come between a woman and her shoes.  Unless you’re saying “ooooh, la la”  say nothing.  lol