Live from the Rotterdam, 14 day Jewels of the Baltic

VMax1700

Before I post the menus for day 3 I must relate a small story regarding day2.  Mostly we eat in Lido and we were really looking forward to the offering of Lemon Sole Flamande with tomato-basil concassee. There wasn't any! Even though it was on the menu and the little plastic sign was on display at the relevant station, there was no soul, sorry sole!

So straight on to the app and 'Let us know' to register disappointment with no sole, and ask why they publish incorrect menus.

Well this morning at 7.45am the Lido Manager phoned me (he got his revenge ok!) and apologised for having no sole (I am enjoying this!) and said it was a 'supply chain issue and would I like a bottle of wine by way of apology?  So tomorrow is 15 drinks plus 1 bottle 😁

• Like 11
  • Haha 8

Can anyone tell me how I can find out how much credit I have remaining for shore ex?  It was easy in the weeks prior to boarding as it showed on the website and manage booking, but since boarding I cannot find it anywhere.

Even the app, which prior to boarding showed a header of "Promotional Credits Available" now no longer shows it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

So straight on to the app and 'Let us know' to register disappointment with no sole, and ask why they publish incorrect menus.

Well this morning at 7.45am the Lido Manager phoned me (he got his revenge ok!) and apologised for having no sole (I am enjoying this!) and said it was a 'supply chain issue and would I like a bottle of wine by way of apology?  So tomorrow is 15 drinks plus 1 bottle 😁

That's awesome!

• Like 1

Thanks @VMax1700 for this Live!

After being away from sailing on HAL for many, many years, we just booked onto the Rotterdam TA & Norway!  BUT ... not until 2025!!!☹️

However, we are so excited and, of course, are now wanting to absorb everything we can about this ship and about HAL now operates.

Your Live Review is giving us an amazing amount of info!

You mentioned above about the "15 drink limit" ... is there a way in the app to track this drink count on a daily basis?  

We will continue to follow along ... enjoying very much!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Robkat said:

Thanks @VMax1700 for this Live!

After being away from sailing on HAL for many, many years, we just booked onto the Rotterdam TA & Norway!  

Not sure if this helps but we hadn't sailed with HAL for about 20 years but we just sailed on the Rotterdam in August and really enjoyed it. So much that we are looking at the Rotterdam for next March. For us the Music Walk was great.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Tonights entertainer was Rubén Vilagrand, an illusionist and visual artist.  He was very entertaining and didn't speak a word during the performance.  Worth watching if you get the chance.

He was really good!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retired 07 said:

Thanks so much for this excellent “live from”, we board the Rotterdam the day you get off.  I’m assuming the daily programs and menus should be pretty much the same. Hope you’re having a great cruise!

Menus will basically be the same, but wait for my comments about the German Bierfest menu that was presented tonight!

• Like 4

We did the HOHO  in Copenhagen yesterday too. We walked out to one parked on the street and were able to use our cc. 

I heard at dinner that the shuttle to the metro was a bad experience.  There were many stairs to climb and only one kiosk to purchase tickets. 

Rhonda 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Robkat said:

You mentioned above about the "15 drink limit" ... is there a way in the app to track this drink count on a daily basis?  

Not that I can find.  But I don't think I have come next or near to the limit.  Even with Fresh OJ at breakfast, a couple of wines at lunch, a couple of good coffees during the day and a plethora of drinks with dinner, I still had a couple of Remy Martin's before bed and the only charge was $4 odd for over the $11 limit.  

Confession:  I do use DW's card occasionally as she does not have such a  high volume requirement. 😉

Edited by VMax1700
wine affected spelling!
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Not that I can find.  But I don't think I have come next or near to the limit.  Even with Fresh OJ at breakfast, a couple of wines at lunch, a couple of good coffees during the day and a plethora of drinks with dinner, I still had a couple of Remy Martin's before bed and the only charge was $4 odd for over the $11 limit.  

Confession:  I do use DW's card occaisionally as she does not have such a  high volume requirement. 😉

Thanks.  

We aren't too worried about it, but thought that being able to always see a current update would be a handy and nifty thing!  

We also thought that fresh juice and specialty coffees didn't count towards the daily 15 count?

In any case, continue to enjoy and thanks again for the time you're taking to write this review!

Edited by Robkat

Last night (Monday Night) was the Mariner Reception for 3/4/5 star and President's Club.  It was very well attended, plenty of drinks and nibbles offered.  We sat with a lovely couple from California who had just been in Ireland and had a very pleasant evenings converstation.

I did notice that the Captain did not seem to make an appearance at the event and it was left to Karlyn the CD to welcome all.  

• Like 5

Today, Tuesday we were in Warnemunde, Germany.

A lot of cruisers headed to Berlin but we stayed local.

Now, when East Germany is mentioned to me, I immediatly think of concrete silos, grey skies, and Michael Caine playing Harry Palmer in Len Deighton's novel The Ipcress File.

This pre conception was born out when I opened our drapes this morning and looked out on a grey industrial area with reclaimed and derelict areas.

DSCN3213.thumb.JPG.8c8a2791b71d0e69e2f4de5dc1d77499.JPGimage.thumb.jpeg.0b6cab08491da6402295c7290045263a.jpeg

But over on the port side of the ship it was like a fairy godmother sprinkled goodness across the landscape.....

20230926_112121.thumb.jpg.542a6ecfa67fb3d393bf02bac6553210.jpg

20230926_115348.thumb.jpg.7a446e72e8576f6d5569b0d5441b732e.jpg

20230926_112223.thumb.jpg.443bdd35bbdb3ce1b4133fb689520e42.jpg

20230926_120026.thumb.jpg.5e57ffce39fa7c95eb302eb459e2a88e.jpg

Wonderful organ music playing in the church.

We really enjoyed the day here.  A bit of a surprise!

Edited by VMax1700
I don't know what day it is!
  • Like 14

Tonight in the Lido was German Bierfeast and all styles of German food and cooking were represented.

What was most enjoyable was the way they had turned the Lido Pool area into a Hofbrauhaus complete with tables and the Rostock Warnemunde Brass Band.

DSCN3218.thumb.JPG.66b6be48b960b981bd8ca0df42376199.JPG

DSCN3219.thumb.JPG.fc0b7f55bf898e19ed9c6046ea937d87.JPG

DSCN3220.thumb.JPG.8e53311a3e1bfd6cfdbf012f0d4c595c.JPG

DSCN3222.thumb.JPG.537df8a7ae487b6473a295cbad391fde.JPG

DSCN3221.thumb.JPG.76f2929f50e0df197a9988a7703b3c04.JPG

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

That's quite a menu! It would be really difficult to choose1

• Like 2