Live from the Rotterdam, 14 day Jewels of the Baltic

VMax1700

27 minutes ago, pedirn said:

Is this the basic or upgraded internet?

I rechecked speeds a few moments ago and DW's (basic) and mine (premium) were similar speeds.

I always understood that there was no difference in speeds only the sites that could be accessed etc.

• Like 5

Tomorrow is Copenhagen.  Although the Copenhagen Port Authority, for the last few months, has shown us docking at Langelinie, the Daily Program that has just been delivered states that we will dock at Oceankaj.  

Langelinie is much closer to the city than Oceankaj.  It would appear that there is no other cruise ship docked at Langelinie, so why are we kicked out to Oceankaj?

At least the Red Sightseeing bus has a stop at Oceankaj when cruise ships are docked there.  There is also the offer of a paid shuttle bus.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

The internet is like greased lightning!

Screenshot_20230924_131814_Speedtest.thumb.jpg.f2a5c8b94ca82d3feca2223ad5557eeb.jpg

That’s GREAT news 🙂 

The Paella,

(no saffron version 😉)

20230924_124954.thumb.jpg.cc684679eaf06c6419e0de2dbf60899e.jpg

No saffron in the paella = it’s not real paella 😉 

DD DH was a paella afficionado and I made it often - I bought the “gold” (saffron) whenever I was in Spain.  It was a must for true paella.

• Like 4

Today is our first Sea Day and tonight is the first Dressy Night, so the MDR has the 150th Gala Dinner.

Here are the menus.

Day2LidoLunchp1.thumb.jpg.ff81e32670582496d2b66dae50851e05.jpg

Day2LidoLunchp2.thumb.jpg.eb40f5758fef56ea5f05626bca32d1c1.jpg

Day2LidoDinnerp1.thumb.jpg.f48ad4c4c1b3d85e173de28e4a7b8e65.jpg

Day2LidoDinnerp2.thumb.jpg.806d77722f97126d885a154ab9ee8d78.jpg

Day2Gala150thp1.thumb.jpg.44e4302489e820e3634b719faca133bf.jpgDay2Gala150thp2.thumb.jpg.9949dd9c683f1b5017abac04611b0409.jpgDay2Gala150thp3.jpg.8003d29294e9d86b8378cae8b6051069.jpg

lido_lunch_day_2.pdf 259.09 kB · 0 downloads

lido_dinner_day_2.pdf 244.04 kB · 0 downloads

gala_150th_winter_2023.pdf 3.39 MB · 3 downloads

Is the dinner menu club orange or MDR or both?

10 hours ago, Mary229 said:

@VMax1700  thank you for posting your journey.  We will be on the Rotterdam next September for this exact cruise and this is very helpful.  Could you mention, as you go, which ports provided free or paid shuttles?  Thank you. I am bookmarking this thread for planning.

Tomorrow in Copenhagen we are docking at Oceankaj which is about 4 miles outside the city centre.  Until recently the port website had shown us docking at Langelinie, which is closer to the city.

There is a shuttle bus offered at a cost of $14.95 round trip (multiple uses).  It goes to the metro station.

I also know from previous experience (last month) that the Red Sightseeing bus will be available at Oceankaj.

HAL are also offering tickets for a HOHO bus service and the price is $34.95

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, kazu said:

No saffron in the paella = it’s not real paella 😉 

DD DH was a paella afficionado and I made it often - I bought the “gold” (saffron) whenever I was in Spain.  It was a must for true paella.

Absolutely.  It looked really strange and was not like the paella I am used to eating.

It was like a 'white Soul singer'. oops, can I say that these days?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

38 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

A bit of gooooogling and it seems that 'Equinix' who appear to be the provider, are a EU company, so it may not be as good in Mid Atlantic.

Well time  will tell.  Seems strange now that we are getting all this “improved” internet if we have dead space.

On the Prinsendam - crossing the pond - the most I would lose was about 5 hours or so.  It will be what it will be I guess.

Thanks 🙂 

• Like 2

We were on a day trip of Copenhagen after returning from our MSC cruise from Hamburg. While on the canal boat tour I saw a cruise ship docked at Oceankaj. From it's silhouette I could tell it was a HAL Pinnacle-class in the distance. Now back with the hotel-provided WiFi I see that it was the Rotterdam. It is our elusive HAL ship as we have cancelled bookings twice - but trying again for April!

• Like 4

@Mary229

In post #55 I mentioned the shuttle bus for Copenhagen and the HoHo bus.  There were two different HoHo buses available at the dock.  City Sightseeing and Red Sightseeing.  

The Red Sightseeing were not taking cash or cards and all charges were posted to your onboard account.  The staff said that if we had pre booked then of course it would be honoured, but they could only charge onboard accounts for walk ups.  Suited us as we have a lot of OBC to get through.

To return to the ship from Central Station area (Red Bus stop #1) to Little Mermaid stop and then transfer to included Red Sightseeing Shuttle to the ship took 1 hour.  Some pax were not able to board our bus at some locations because it was full.  Also we did not have to wait for the shuttle as it was just about ready to go when we boarded.  Just mentioning this so that you can plan timings!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

@Mary229

In post #55 I mentioned the shuttle bus for Copenhagen and the HoHo bus.  There were two different HoHo buses available at the dock.  City Sightseeing and Red Sightseeing.  

The Red Sightseeing were not taking cash or cards and all charges were posted to your onboard account.  The staff said that if we had pre booked then of course it would be honoured, but they could only charge onboard accounts for walk ups.  Suited us as we have a lot of OBC to get through.

To return to the ship from Central Station area (Red Bus stop #1) to Little Mermaid stop and then transfer to included Red Sightseeing Shuttle to the ship took 1 hour.  Some pax were not able to board our bus at some locations because it was full.  Also we did not have to wait for the shuttle as it was just about ready to go when we boarded.  Just mentioning this so that you can plan timings!

Perfect.  Shuttles and hop ons make independent touring so much easier.  Thanks you. I have posted a link to your thread on my roll call too.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

We were on a day trip of Copenhagen after returning from our MSC cruise from Hamburg. While on the canal boat tour I saw a cruise ship docked at Oceankaj. From it's silhouette I could tell it was a HAL Pinnacle-class in the distance. Now back with the hotel-provided WiFi I see that it was the Rotterdam. It is our elusive HAL ship as we have cancelled bookings twice - but trying again for April!

It will be worth the wait!

Greetings from Rotterdam to you 👋

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

It will be worth the wait!

Greetings from Rotterdam to you 👋

Greetings from Copenhagen, and late tomorrow will be Virginia. We have been trying since April 2022 to sail on the Rotterdam. Actually it has been three cancellations as I forgot about the 150th anniversary Transatlantic.

• Like 4

People have mentioned about the Rotterdam having the lifeboats repositioned to make it possible for Panama Canal transits etc.  Koningsdam can not usually sail the canal due to lifeboat overhang and had to receive special permission to sail to Port Everglades through the canal at the onset of Covid to join the other ships in 'storage' for the duration.  I understand that Nieuw Statendam is very similar.  However they changed the operation system for Rotterdam and the lifeboats/tenders are now stored further inboard than those on Koningsdam.  They slide out on beams.

Rotterdam tenders at inboard storage position

(ignore the reflection in the verandah glass)

DSCN3204.thumb.JPG.90758ad66f1798a0f9c1dc557ef8769c.JPG

And fully extended seaward to be lowered.

DSCN3201.thumb.JPG.22859f5ef42df815102c720d4d32c67f.JPG

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1