Live from the Rotterdam, 14 day Jewels of the Baltic

VMax1700

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from VMax1700! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

VMax1700 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Everything comes to and end and the European cruising season is certainly ending soon!  

Today we embarked Rotterdam in Amsterdam for her last European cruise of the season before she heads back across the pond to Florida.

I know that there are many onboard this cruise who are staying on for the next cruise to go home at sea level and not at 38 thousand feet, but unfortunately we are not soo lucky.  Maybe next year!

I will update as often as I can and as long as internet is reliable.  Currently using data through my phone's hot spot.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

We received the dreaded 'Itinerary Change' email yesterday, but it only related to departure time from Stockholm.  It has been brought forward to 3pm so that we can do the scenic cruising of the archipelago in daylight!  Should be nice!

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

We received the dreaded 'Itinerary Change' email yesterday, but it only related to departure time from Stockholm.  It has been brought forward to 3pm so that we can do the scenic cruising of the archipelago in daylight!  Should be nice!

That is a good change especially as you will have had an overnight in Stockholm.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bethcb said:

Who are the entertainers on your ship? We board Oct 7. 

I will be posting the daily program which will show the entertainment.

Is there a particular entertainer/venue you are enquiring about?

• Like 2

We flew into Amsterdam on Thursday evening with KLM, flight time from Cork was 95 minutes.   We took a taxi from the taxi rank into our hotel which cost €83.  Pricey, but I checked pre booking a taxi and it was about €60 and we would then have had the hassle of getting up one floor to departures and then finding our driver amongst the melee of departing pax, so I am reasonable ok with the price.  

For those interested Amsterdam Schiphol was busy but efficient.  We made a quick pit stop for the bathroom on the way to Passport control and by the time we reached the baggage carousel our baggage was circulating.

• Like 8

We stayed at Grand Hotel Amrath which is located near Centraal Station and across the river from the Doubletree and Sea Palace restaurant.  It is a protected building (previously a shipping company) and an example of the Amsterdam School of Architecture.

It was ok, but once and done.  Interesting to see the ceilings and panels.

Some views from our room:

20230923_084316.thumb.jpg.8967883d907af3e3d3346d32a6b361b5.jpg

20230923_084321.thumb.jpg.b6c2afee6769424b027fbae969715e2f.jpg

20230923_084326.thumb.jpg.a405b701c10fcb852295a6a37f564510.jpg

• Like 10

Embarkation was very quick and painless.

We had been given a check in time of 2.30pm but we turned up at 12.30 and used the priority channel.  

First thing was that those who had put the luggage tags on their baggage were sent directly to the guys stacking the baggage whereas those who had not attached luggage labels were put to one side until they were properly labelled.

There were no health questionnaires.

We stood in front of the facial recognition/camera and punched two buttons and we were through!

Lots of signs saying that single use bottles are not permitted on board and anyone holding a bottle was directed to one of the numerous bins to dispose of the bad boy.  I had an empty 500ml plastic bottle and a full 1.5litre bottle of water in my back pack.  I still have them.  They went through the scanner and no one raised an eyebrow.

20230923_123742.thumb.jpg.2263f75d6ff09743ff03b42af74f20e0.jpg

Next step was on to the ship, where upon our boarding passes suddenly disappeared from the App and instead showed an error message.  I just could not recover them.  The S.O. asked if I had a paper boarding pass.  "No" said I.  "It's your App, so its your problem".  A quick look at our passports and a check that our lovely likeness was the same as on his screen and we were onboard.  It was several hours before the boarding pass reappeared on the app!

• Like 8

The sailaway from Amsterdam is really nice.  Cruising down towards the locks took two hours and then we were into the open sea, where we are rocking oh so gently tonight.

20230923_192433.thumb.jpg.99f0f7a9a33c13eccb0055c84754b986.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.939b9b4390b5c7f139cad218b851c64e.jpeg

20230923_192503.thumb.jpg.857cc248a333bdad3cfed2bed4408c73.jpg

It was after 8pm before the pilot disembarked, so that was 3 hours he was on.  Probably not too cheap an operation.

20230923_201052.thumb.jpg.ed727fd5a24373d9a31897277a797771.jpg

As you can see, dusk was falling.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I will post the Daily Programs tomorrow as I must get to bed as it is almost midnight and my glass slippers are killing me.   Don't want the Rotterdam to turn into the Pumpkindam. 😁

So, goodnight from all us lucky souls on the beautiful Rotterdam.👋

• Like 11

42 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

The Lido also had crackers (of sorts) for the cheese. 

20230923_184705.thumb.jpg.65645c4aebd947b306444f1286c78d56.jpg

@kazu

Thanks Colin.  I was thinking of either bringing some or buying in Amsterdam.

From the choice I see there I may still do so 😉 

• Like 3