Live from the Rotterdam, 14 day Jewels of the Baltic

VMax1700

Just a few notes that need to be posted.....

Laundry was sent in on Sunday evening (at room service time) and returned Monday evening when we returned from dinner.

Although there were notices and bins in Amsterdam terminal and no Single Use Plastic bottles were permitted to be carried on, we have found that we have been able to bring on plastic bottles of water at ports of call.  Most we have brought on is 4 x 500ml today, but no one seems interested.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Years ago on the Veendam, I was at the Amsterdam terminal and was about to 

board the ship. They were going through purses back then. They took my PseudoFed because it was "drugs." I said I needed it for my hay fever. They said "where's the prescription?" I said it was over the counter. I finally convinced them that I needed 

the pills for my allergies and they gave it back to me. I don't take that any more,

so it's not an issue now.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 4:37 PM, VMax1700 said:

A short video of tonights Bier Festival at  der Lido Pool Bier Haus!

There was a fantastic atmosphere and everyone was enjoying it.

Great video, thanks. Just curious, was there an extra charge for this Octoberfest event?

@VMax1700, I see you are in Helsinki, Finland today.  I work with the Finns daily and travel to Helsinki, Finland a couple of times a year.  It is a lovely place to visit.  Below is a picture of MS Rotterdam sitting in port in Helsinki today.  I look forward to seeing your updated posts about Helsinki.  

Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 7.34.04 AM.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, pmjnh said:

What was your day like...did you do an excursion?

Yes, we did a tour called 'Helsinki by land and sea'. There were 4 busses for this tour. It was raining here at the pier, but stopped by the time we boarded the ferry type boat for the 90 minute ride around the bay. Saw a bunch of neat buildings on these small islands. Upon docking we had 30 minutes to explore the market and then it was back in the bus to continue the tour. We stopped a couple of times for short times.  It was very well done. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We enjoyed Helsinki today.  It was Ellen's first visit but I have been here a few time previously on business as a guest of one of the large Finnish conglomerates, so it was a bit different today to ride the Hop on Hop off bus 🤣

We just rode the bus and alighted in the centre then walked to the various locations before taking the bus back to the ship.

Although it was misty and wet in the morning, by midday the rain had stopped and the last of the autumn sunshine was warming our bones.  As we got back to the ship, the wind got up a bit, and now as we are out to sea, there is a nice bit of movement of the ship.

• Like 9

@Mary229

Just to update you on the situation in some of the ports.

Riga would be an easy walk into the old town.  It is quite small.  The HoHo bus was just at the end of the pier.  There was not a shuttle option. I did not see any taxis at the pier.  It really is very close to the centre.

Talinn was further from the dock.  It was walkable, but too long a distance for us and it is a very busy ferry terminal with many road works going on.  Taxis were available, but only outside the port gates.  We used the shuttle $14.95 round trip and it left us just at the entrance to the old town.

Helsinki centre was a good distance from the dock.  There was the option of the Red HoHo bus (either book direct or book through the ship) or a shuttle $12 return.  There were taxis available a short distance from the ship (maybe 100 yds).  Also there was an ATM on the pier beside the ship.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

What do others onboard think about our Captain Bas van Dreumel?

I have heard very little from him, except his perfunctory sounding mid day location announcement.  To me he sounds a little short on personality compared with the likes of Rens van Eerten, Noel O'Driscoll, Eric Barhorst and others.  I am sure he is an excellent master, but there does seem to be little interaction.  Or am I leading a sheltered existance on this voyage?

• Like 5

We were on the Rotterdam for the August 26th sailing. I found the Captain very difficult to understand when he made his announcements. Crew said he is very nice.  We also found the ship very crowded. The shore ex dept really seemed to be struggling.

Have you played trivia or done any games? We really liked Tomas who ran those things on our cruise. Also our favorite bar waiter was Cliff, who is mostly in Billboard.

33 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

That is so annoying! 

Could it have fallen and one of the staff just picked it up?

Maybe, but we spoke with our stewards and they didn't know. In the big scheme of things, it's minor, but needed to vent.  

Meanwhile, Stockholm is stunning this morning. 😍 

• Like 2