Just back from the Summit - MDR review

vickykay

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic."

vickykay was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Hi everyone.  We just returned from our NE/Canada cruise on the Summit.  There has been so much controversially regarding changes in the main dining room menus I though I would just post our thoughts. Food of course, is very subjective so I’m just providing information and our thoughts and how things compared to our cruise on the Eclispe this past May.  For the most part, everything we ordered was very good to excellent.  Excellent applies to the prime rib and the beef brochette.  I was able to order a baked potato instead of the mashed potatoes.  Yes, I think Celebrity could be a little more creative regarding potatoes as well as the veggie sides which was carrots and geeem beans with almost every dish.  We missed some of our favorites ( branzino, trout, beef tornadoes on the first chic night) but we’re very happy to find duck on the menu the second ice night ( not on the app). Usually the chef added another entree or appetizer that was not on the app.  There is a significant reduction of appetizers, with salads, a soup or two and maybe a real appetizer all grouped together.

Desert choices were very good ( the Sacher torte amazing!). We did go to two speciality restaurants ( and one in Portland) on days when we thought the menu was not to our liking.  The OV Cafe for breakfast and lunch was the same as we have always experienced.  We especially appreciate the variety of Indian foods and love love the chicken salad.  We did not experience any shortage of wait staff in any venue.

We throughly enjoyed our cruise and spent three days in Quebec instead of going to P.E.I. to avoid the hurricane.  The three warm and sunny days in Quebec more than made up for the foggy day in Bar Harbor.

We thought Manual was an excellent cruise director, personable and often seen around the ship.  We went to all but 2 shows and thought they were all excellent.  

Happy to answer any questions.

Vicky

• Like 13
  • Thanks 8

Thanks for the review, one in a line of them from people who consider, in their subjective view but based on personal experiences, that the food isn’t that bad on Celebrity. Maybe not brilliant but perfectly adequate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Thanks for the review, one in a line of them from people who consider, in their subjective view but based on personal experiences, that the food isn’t that bad on Celebrity. Maybe not brilliant but perfectly adequate.

We were on the Summit cruise just before the one you were on and found everything as you described.

I'm on Eclipse tomorrow. 

• Like 1

We also were on the Celebrity Summit New England 9/10 to 9/21 cruise.  One night I was not feeling it for the entrees. So I asked for the children’s menu and ordered the Margarita pizza and was pleasantly surprised that it was thick crust and delicious. (Not a fan of the thin crust served on the ocean view buffet)

Edited by fenton04
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, vickykay said:

Hi everyone.  We just returned from our NE/Canada cruise on the Summit.  There has been so much controversially regarding changes in the main dining room menus I though I would just post our thoughts. Food of course, is very subjective so I’m just providing information and our thoughts and how things compared to our cruise on the Eclispe this past May.  For the most part, everything we ordered was very good to excellent.  Excellent applies to the prime rib and the beef brochette.  I was able to order a baked potato instead of the mashed potatoes.  Yes, I think Celebrity could be a little more creative regarding potatoes as well as the veggie sides which was carrots and geeem beans with almost every dish.  We missed some of our favorites ( branzino, trout, beef tornadoes on the first chic night) but we’re very happy to find duck on the menu the second ice night ( not on the app). Usually the chef added another entree or appetizer that was not on the app.  There is a significant reduction of appetizers, with salads, a soup or two and maybe a real appetizer all grouped together.

Desert choices were very good ( the Sacher torte amazing!). We did go to two speciality restaurants ( and one in Portland) on days when we thought the menu was not to our liking.  The OV Cafe for breakfast and lunch was the same as we have always experienced.  We especially appreciate the variety of Indian foods and love love the chicken salad.  We did not experience any shortage of wait staff in any venue.

We throughly enjoyed our cruise and spent three days in Quebec instead of going to P.E.I. to avoid the hurricane.  The three warm and sunny days in Quebec more than made up for the foggy day in Bar Harbor.

We thought Manual was an excellent cruise director, personable and often seen around the ship.  We went to all but 2 shows and thought they were all excellent.  

Happy to answer any questions.

Vicky

Vicky, it’s great to see your post. Glad to hear you had a good cruise. Thanks for the MDR food report. We will be on Summit this April. 

David

Hi David,

We wore the name tags you had kindly made and sent to us last year at sail-a-way and received many compliments!  

I neglected to add that the ship is very light and bright, especially in the public areas since the make over.   And very little to none KH clutter, especially in the cabin. The Party Band, the Seagulls was one of the best we have seen.  

Vicky

2 hours ago, vickykay said:

Hi David,

We wore the name tags you had kindly made and sent to us last year at sail-a-way and received many compliments!  

I neglected to add that the ship is very light and bright, especially in the public areas since the make over.   And very little to none KH clutter, especially in the cabin. The Party Band, the Seagulls was one of the best we have seen.  

Vicky

Thanks for letting me know about the tags. I hope you and your husband have many more cruises in the future to use them!  By the way, when and where is your next cruise?

We were also on the same Summit cruise as Vickykay and agree with her comments about the food and ship. We enjoyed  the variety and quality of food offered for breakfast and lunch in the ocean view cafe and main dining room. We purchased a 3 specialty dinner package pre cruise at a great sale price, and enjoyed the combination of eating dinner in the main dining room, Tuscan Grill, and Le Petit Chef. Excellent variety of entertainment and activities on board.

Edited by marys350
  • Like 1

We were also on this 9/10 Summit sailing and agree that the entertainment, crew, enrichment speakers, Cruise Director, and ocean view cafe food were all excellent. Our only disappointment was with the new limited menu selections in Blu and we were ordering off main dining room menu most nights. The entire staff and service in Blu was excellent as always. Tuscan was also excellent. 

I have them every day as a starter on all our cruises for  the last 20+ years. One of my highlights, after a few days the waiters don’t bother to ask they just  bring them. I would be so sad if the discontinued them. It’s the only time I ever eat them. It’s dipping the bread into the garlic sauce that’s the filler. 

• Like 2

Yes, escargot on the Summit last week.  You might be able to ask for a double portion.  People were doing that with the shrimp cocktail. 

David, our next cruise is on the Ascent September 2 next fall.  But will probably look for something this winter to the Caribbean.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vickykay said:

You’ll have a great time. Enjoy!

We'll be joining JCMass on the same cruise and are getting very excited. Thanks so much for this post. It helps put some worries to rest and amps up our excitement.

Come to think of it, amping up our excitement even further may not be a good idea. These last 5 workdays are going to be hard enough to get through as it is. 😆

If you’re looking for lobster rolls, the I’d recommend the West End cafe in Bar Harbor, right across the street from the tender drop off.  They had a special which we shared with and extra bowl of clam chowder ( also excellent).  Also Dimillos in Portland.  I never had a lobster roll with so much lobster!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vickykay said:

If you’re looking for lobster rolls, the I’d recommend the West End cafe in Bar Harbor, right across the street from the tender drop off.  They had a special which we shared with and extra bowl of clam chowder ( also excellent).  Also Dimillos in Portland.  I never had a lobster roll with so much lobster!  

Totally agree on the West End Cafe..............my wife had the lobster roll special - I had the haddock au gratin casserole............both excellent and we both had the clam chowder (Mmmmmm good) and the blueberry pie with vanilla ice cream (fantastic)!!!!! We missed DiMillo's but have eaten there before and it is great.