A confirmed Britannia Cruiser tastes the Princess Grill

rafinmd

On 10/4/2023 at 9:19 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I have to admit that all of the wonderful pictures Roy has posted are very exciting to me.  

I know all of our tastes differ but wondering how the fish in Queens Grill is.   Would love to have Dover Sole - one of my favorites. 

Celebrity server 3 or 4 different types of Sea Bass (with different names - Black Sea Bass, Baramundi  etc)  I enjoy it but they taste pretty much the same to me.

I just looked at a few of the menus from QG from our Dec 22 crossings.   Dover Sole is available any night just let them know by lunch.   The lunch entrees always included a fish.   The one I am looking at includes Pan fried Barramundi, Confit of Duck leg, Grilled Double Sirloin Steak, Spaghetti Carbonara, and Kung Pao Cauliflower.   There are four appetizers and one soup and one salad and special soup of the day plus four choices of dessert not counting the ice creams.    A normal dinner has four appetizers, two special salads and two soups, four entrees (grilled 28 day aged rib eye, Red Thai King Prawn Curry, Chickpea Dumplings and Pumpkin and Courgette Noodles) plus four desserts and ice cream.    Even with this we always ordered something off menu so If it’s onboard you can have it.   Can’t imagine ordering a grilled cheese sandwich but the bread and rolls onboard are wonderful as is the cheese trolley.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I just looked at a few of the menus from QG from our Dec 22 crossings.   Dover Sole is available any night just let them know by lunch.   The lunch entrees always included a fish.   The one I am looking at includes Pan fried Barramundi, Confit of Duck leg, Grilled Double Sirloin Steak, Spaghetti Carbonara, and Kung Pao Cauliflower.   There are four appetizers and one soup and one salad and special soup of the day plus four choices of dessert not counting the ice creams.    A normal dinner has four appetizers, two special salads and two soups, four entrees (grilled 28 day aged rib eye, Red Thai King Prawn Curry, Chickpea Dumplings and Pumpkin and Courgette Noodles) plus four desserts and ice cream.    Even with this we always ordered something off menu so If it’s onboard you can have it.   Can’t imagine ordering a grilled cheese sandwich but the bread and rolls onboard are wonderful as is the cheese trolley.

I'm sure we won't go hungry.   We enjoy smaller portions than many want on a cruise and the pictures we have seen so far are very appetizing.

While I generally would not order a grilled cheese sandwich,  I did order one once on Celebrity on a long 6 week cruise.  Was in the mood for some comfort food.   The Chef went over the top and made it using 3 varieties of cheese from Specialty Dining Cheese cart.   It was incredible.

Having lived in Europe there are many that the locals see as comfort food that leave other cultures scratching their heads.   One never knows until they try it.     Think Baked Beans on Toast.

I will never forget the look on our kids face when they ordered pizza and the waitress asked if they wanted baked beans on them.  LOL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm sure we won't go hungry.   We enjoy smaller portions than many want on a cruise and the pictures we have seen so far are very appetizing.

While I generally would not order a grilled cheese sandwich,  I did order one once on Celebrity on a long 6 week cruise.  Was in the mood for some comfort food.   The Chef went over the top and made it using 3 varieties of cheese from Specialty Dining Cheese cart.   It was incredible.

Having lived in Europe there are many that the locals see as comfort food that leave other cultures scratching their heads.   One never knows until they try it.     Think Baked Beans on Toast.

I will never forget the look on our kids face when they ordered pizza and the waitress asked if they wanted baked beans on them.  LOL.

Nothing wrong with comfort food.

I have made mention before of a fellow diner who was so fed up of 'fine foods'. he ordered hot dog and fries with all the trimmings for dinner on a Formal night.

We were salivating at the smell of the fried onions and the glorious look of the meal! Sometimes, a grilled cheese sandwich or a hot dog and fries beats out the most formal of dinners! 🙂

• Like 4

Day CS8. Friday, October 13,2023,  Bayonne, Disembark and home

Queen Mary 2 is in Brooklyn

qm2nyc.jpg

Getting back to my QM2 Experience, I don’t really expect to be able to return but I return at least in principle a dedicated Britannia passenger.  It’s not a really simple decision and everyone will have their own answer.  For one thing, there are 2 “grading” systems that have some effect on the experience, grade of cabin and World Club (past passenger) level.

With respect to the physical facilities, there are only 3 areas of the ship that are not open to all passengers.  I did enjoy the Deck 11 Grills Deck but there is ample open aft deck space on other levels of the ship.  The Grills Lounge was nice but I equally enjoy the lovely Queens Room and many other lovely public spaces on the ship.  I hardly used the Concierge Lounge.

The other aspect is some other perks.  The main ones are priority boarding, and I can remember from my early years some LONG queues but as World Club Diamonds that is no longer the case.  Almost all cruise lines have priority boarding for their top cabins so Cunard is right in the mainstream there.  In many other areas Cunard is among the most egalitarian of the mainstream with very few (I think less than 10) suites getting priority tendering, and don’t have many of the differences you see on some cruise lines like reserved sections in the theater. 

I enjoyed the chilled soups as a special request but dining in Britannia is perfectly fine.  In summary, Britannia on Cunard is one of the top experiences among mainstream cruise lines and I see no need to go beyond it.  Your mileage may vary.

Roy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3