A confirmed Britannia Cruiser tastes the Princess Grill

rafinmd

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Why is that?

A quick lunch in the US often has a grilled cheese 'toastie' with a bowl of tomato soup. Is it a recognised duo?

Classic Friday lunch for Catholic kids back when we didn't eat meat on Fridays.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, esrs said:

Yes, that one does, but I  thought we were talking about grilled cheese in general.  Never mind!

I think the original request was for a ham and cheese grilled cheese sandwich several days/posts ago and then we got into a general discussion about culinary differences !

I bet @rafinmd is sorry he bothered now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, lincslady said:

I believe that in he UK a toastie, or toasted sandwich, is a sandwich already made, and then put under the grill to toast both sides, or in a special toastie maker, which does the same thing.  Definitely not fried.  Is that different from what it would be in the USA?

My husband is from Scotland and we lived in Ireland for 3 years.   All toasties I have had are grilled with lots of butter until golden brown and cheese fully melted.   Definetly not fired.   

I think in America that  a fried sandwich might be called a Monte Cristo

This Monte Cristo sandwich with ham, turkey, and Swiss cheese slices is dipped in an egg and milk mixture and fried to a golden brown. A hot alternative to the usual lunch or snack. Try it with berry jam on the side.

5 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Thanks for the update, that Chateaubriand looks suspiciously like a well done slice of Beef Wellington. 

I agree.    Are you able to order the Chateaubriand to desired temperature.   We enjoy it medium rare.

The desert has me salivating.

Edited by Jim_Iain

Wow, so I knew before that many of our British friends don’t like peanut butter and now know many don’t like grilled cheese and tomato soup. These are staples of American school lunches growing up. 
I guess some in the UK wonder why we don’t like Marmite! 
I very much enjoy all the British sourced food on Cunard. We can all agree on that. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NE John said:

Wow, so I knew before that many of our British friends don’t like peanut butter and now know many don’t like grilled cheese and tomato soup. These are staples of American school lunches growing up. 
I very much enjoy all the British sourced food on Cunard. We can all agree on that. 

I love a grilled cheese 'toastie' and I love tomato soup but together? Not a common combo over this side of the pond.

I also LOVE peanut butter, but a jelly and peanut butter sandwich? What's that all about! 😀

Sorry Hattie! 🥴

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, NE John said:

I love tomato soup, just not with a toasted sandwich.

• Like 2

I’m from this side of the pond and am with Mudhen. Real comfort food is tomato soup (Heinz cream of) with a toasted cheese (with/without ham) buttered on the outside and fried till crispy brown. Dipping dependent on mood - either way a mood lifter.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I love a grilled cheese 'toastie' and I love tomato soup but together? Not a common combo over this side of the pond.

I also LOVE peanut butter, but a jelly and peanut butter sandwich? What's that all about! 😀

Sorry Hattie! 🥴

Peanut butter and jelly plus add Nutella. Pure decadence!

3 hours ago, NE John said:

This Brit loves peanut butter, and tomato soup accompanied by a cheese toastie! Had my first Reuben a coupe of years ago in DC and have become slightly obsessed with them now 😀

• Like 3

On 10/2/2023 at 2:34 PM, rafinmd said:

Those who know me know I have been obsessed with “Come From Away”.  There was a documentary put out by a Canadian agency on the same subject, called “You Are Here: A Come From Away Story” that has rarely been available in the US but I did find it in Canada so much of my time was spent watching the video.  Awesome!

I'm very much enjoying your reports Roy. I adore Come From Away. I've seen it twice in London and it is touring the UK in 2024 so I'll be going to see it again. The documentary sounds very interesting. 

• Like 2