A confirmed Britannia Cruiser tastes the Princess Grill

rafinmd

That is a pathetic example of a grilled ham and cheese sandwich.  For one thing, it looks like it never saw a grill, griddle, or frying pan.  I think they used toasted bread.  For shame, Cunard!

9 minutes ago, alc13 said:

That is a pathetic example of a grilled ham and cheese sandwich.  For one thing, it looks like it never saw a grill, griddle, or frying pan.  I think they used toasted bread.  For shame, Cunard!

That's part of the problem with ordering off menu, you have to be able to explain exactly what you want. It's a little unfair to expect one cruise line to be able to replicate another's specialty. 

Grilled cheese sandwiches aren't really a thing in the UK so if you don't want to risk an experiment probably best to stick to what Cunard chefs know they can make. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, alc13 said:

I have to agree that that was a pretty sorry looking Ham and Cheese Sandwich.

Maybe something is being lost in translation.   Wonder one were to order a Ham and Cheese Toastie  whether it would turn out.   Any pub I've ever ordered delivered a beautiful sandwich as below.

image.thumb.jpeg.70adec231ff8773f7e04c12e4937b3b4.jpeg

• Like 5

I believe that in he UK a toastie, or toasted sandwich, is a sandwich already made, and then put under the grill to toast both sides, or in a special toastie maker, which does the same thing.  Definitely not fried.  Is that different from what it would be in the USA?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I believe that in he UK a toastie, or toasted sandwich, is a sandwich already made, and then put under the grill to toast both sides, or in a special toastie maker, which does the same thing.  Definitely not fried.  Is that different from what it would be in the USA?

and yet in the Saturday Times colour supplement a couple of weeks ago, The Times food editor gave his version of a toastie which was sort of pan fried in a ridged griddle pan.

Many versions of the same thing. 🙂

• Like 2

Day QM2-4, Tuesday, October 3, 2023, Sept Isles, Quebec(NOT)

Crystal Serenity is at sea from Sydney to Quebec with an ETA of 5PM.

I rose about 5:15 and headed out to the Grills Deck about 6.  There was already vivid color behind us although it would be almost half an hour until sunrise.  When I returned at sunrise it looked like the start of a perfect day.  Right!

1stlt1003.jpg
I had decided today would be the day to do a load of laundry and I was stationed at the deck 8 laundrette about 7:15 (They open at 7:30 but usually earlier than that).  The steward unlocked the door at 7:20 and I started my wash.  The timer said 40 minutes and I decided to take a walk around the ship.  I went down to 7 and walked to the forward door.  It was a lot windier than I expected but I headed out anyway and as I rounded the bow it got worse.  I tried to come back in by the port side front entry and could barely get the door open.

The wash was done about 8 and after moving the load to the dryer I retreated briefly to my room.  That was about the time Captain Hashmi came on the PA and indicated our visit to Sept Iles would be scrubbed.  The dryers worked quite quickly and were finished about 8.  

I discovered that a blog reader had been trying to contact me and wanted to get together for a bit of a chat.  9:30 at the Commodore Club came up but I got out of breakfast almost at 9:30 and called their room to suggest 10:30.  With no answer I guessed they might have been waiting for me and that turned out to be true.  We had a nice long chat and when we finished I picked up the day’s supplemental programs, although nothing came up of great interest to me.

Lunch was primarily a spaghetti dish.  It seems like portions of most items are sensibly smallish with the apparent exception of pastas, where I always now ask for a half serving.  It was the first time I was able to finish a pasta dish.  After lunch I walked around the aft of the promenade deck.  While I have not completely circled the ship on the deck I have walked the distance today between inside and outside options.

lunch03.jpg
There are lots of options for afternoon tea on QM2.  After enjoying it in the Grills Lounge yesterday today I opted to go to the Queens Room for a scone.  It was significantly more crowded than the Grills Lounge but there was a live pianist.  Afternoon tea is also available in Kings Court and apparently as room service.

queentea.jpg
I went down to the dining room about 7:15, and 2 of my tablemates were getting to desert and another had recently arrived.  The other 2 arrived a while after I did so at various times I saw everybody.  My choices for the evening were Chilled Cantaloupe Soup, Chateaubriand, and Baked Alaska.

dishes03.jpg
It was later than usual when I got back to my room but I divided the rest of my evening between organizing photos and packing.

My parting shot relates to events at table 108.  Somehow, one of my tablemates mentioned the old movie “Somewhere in Time” and how it had been filmed at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, wondering what the place was like.  It turned out that in my travels with Blount Small Ship Adventures I had cruised to Mackinac Island several times and even gone ashore for the night on a 2005 cruise, getting lunch at the Grand Hotel.  I went to dinner armed with photos of the Grand and also of the Hotel where I had spent the night.  Funny how a simple remark can lead a surprise.

The Supplementary program for October 3:

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2023/10/supplement03.pdf

And the Daily Programme for October 4:

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2023/10/programme1004.pdf

Roy

• Like 11

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

The difference may be that a grilled cheese sandwich is pan-fried in melted butter.  If you spread soft butter on both sides of a sandwich before putting it under the grill it would probably come out the same.  

1 minute ago, alc13 said:

The difference may be that a grilled cheese sandwich is pan-fried in melted butter.  If you spread soft butter on both sides of a sandwich before putting it under the grill it would probably come out the same.  

The whole thing, whichever version, sounds absolutely horrible. I’ve never seem the point of melted cheese.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

The whole thing, whichever version, sounds absolutely horrible. I’ve never seem the point of melted cheese.

Oh, but you are all missing the most important part with those grilled cheeses....

A bowl of really good tomato soup!! 

When I was still teaching, that was one of the only lunches that I could count on from the cafeteria!

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

Oh, but you are all missing the most important part with those grilled cheeses....

A bowl of really good tomato soup!! 

When I was still teaching, that was one of the only lunches that I could count on from the cafeteria!

Why is that?

A quick lunch in the US often has a grilled cheese 'toastie' with a bowl of tomato soup. Is it a recognised duo?

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

Why is that?

A quick lunch in the US often has a grilled cheese 'toastie' with a bowl of tomato soup. Is it a recognised duo?

Absolutely! Most Americans can't swallow a grilled cheese without that tomato soup!!!

I actually like to dip mine, but that's me....giggle!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1