Q&A with President Laura Hodges Bethge

rmedistro

35 minutes ago, truckswain said:

Please go on your cruise with an open mind.  The "nickel-and-diming"  has been over exagerated on these boards.  You will notice that 90% of the comments come from people who have not cruised since the restart and many not for several years.

umm, we cruised April/may 2023, 10 days and end of January 2023, 9 days.  

8 hours ago, truckswain said:

Please go on your cruise with an open mind.  The "nickel-and-diming"  has been over exagerated on these boards.  You will notice that 90% of the comments come from people who have not cruised since the restart and many not for several years.

Not that you care but on this forum, if you were to search the posts of every person who has complained, you'd they that about 90% of us HAVE sailed on X since the restart.  However, I do agree that one should keep an open mind and that nickel and diming are very subjective.  We sail on Carnival the second most so I'll use them as an example.  For Carnival complimentary eateries, on their newest ships in addition to the MDR, buffet, and burgers, they have complimentary BBQ, fried chicken, poolside casual Mexican, three street food stations, and a sit-down Asian/Mexican and Italian

• Like 4

On 9/27/2023 at 3:58 PM, commodoredave said:

I just watched the Q&A with CEO Laura and found her to be completely charming, as well as her host, Andrea. 

While these types of canned discussions can be too scripted and promotional, this was not the case here -- I found the range of topics and candid responses to be refreshing. 

Was everything covered and to my complete satisfaction. No. Did I walk away feeling better about X and their future? Yes.

I look forward to more Q&As with Laura in future. It's far more than many other lines are doing.

I watched it yesterday and I agree with you.  Very well done IMO.  I enjoyed the Q&A and appreciated the effort.
I felt even better about Celebrity and it’s future as a result.  

Well done, Celebrity.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I watched the interview several days ago and have been mulling it over before commenting.

I enjoyed Laura Hodges Bethge as a person. She has energy and ideas. But I have concluded that she is a bit of an iron hand in a velvet glove. What do I mean by that? She says things that make us feel warm and fuzzy, but, when really thinking about the message, one grows chilled.

Her message, in my opinion, was "We did this for you. This is what you wanted. Why are you complaining? Why are you not grateful?" Essentially its a guilt trip. It creates a need in many of us to defend our positions and justify our reasons for not being happy with Celebrity.

I understand that a business needs to make money and that is her key responsibility. I also understand that I have no obligation to support a business. i have done 8 cruises with Celebrity since the restart and have 8 more scheduled. But the nickel and diming is starting to get to me and I am thinking that I want a cruise experience that is a little more all inclusive. I need to try something different.

• Like 21

On 9/26/2023 at 1:38 PM, patty1955 said:

Elite Plus here and we never got the email asking for questions.

I'm not sure how they made their selections.  I actually received two requests for questions.  The odd thing is that I'm Elite merly by the fact that I'm Diamond Plus on Royal.  I've only just booked my first Celebrity cruise (Alaska) as all of the cost cutting at Royal has final crossed the line and now it looks like all of the great things I've heard about Celebrity are being eliminated as well (thank you Jason Liberty).  My Alaska sailing hasn't happened yet and due to all of the changes that Celebrity is making, I've moved on and booked one Oceania cruise and another Regent cruise.  Royal Caribbean Group (RCG) has made it clear that they, after almost 40 years sailing with them, no longer value my business as they believe there are many other people who will fill the vacancy after I leave.  That may be true right now but I've been through enough economic cycles to know that after the Covid pent up demand waines and the economy cools, RCG will see a decline in demand and once again will come looking for their repeat cruisers, unfortunately, I may need to tell them that due to the changes I've made, I've needed to cut them. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Jjohnb said:

I'm not sure how they made their selections.  I actually received two requests for questions.  The odd thing is that I'm Elite merly by the fact that I'm Diamond Plus on Royal.  I've only just booked my first Celebrity cruise (Alaska) as all of the cost cutting at Royal has final crossed the line and now it looks like all of the great things I've heard about Celebrity are being eliminated as well (thank you Jason Liberty).  My Alaska sailing hasn't happened yet and due to all of the changes that Celebrity is making, I've moved on and booked one Oceania cruise and another Regent cruise.  Royal Caribbean Group (RCG) has made it clear that they, after almost 40 years sailing with them, no longer value my business as they believe there are many other people who will fill the vacancy after I leave.  That may be true right now but I've been through enough economic cycles to know that after the Covid pent up demand waines and the economy cools, RCG will see a decline in demand and once again will come looking for their repeat cruisers, unfortunately, I may need to tell them that due to the changes I've made, I've needed to cut them. 

Honest question - I see this posted a lot. 

Understandable if you don't think the food is up to par, prices are too high, itineraries are boring and so on. Then it's time to move on to where you presume the grass is greener. But how does this correlate to loyalty and your business no longer being valued? Or are you just mad in general?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Honest question - I see this posted a lot. 

Understandable if you don't think the food is up to par, prices are too high, itineraries are boring and so on. Then it's time to move on to where you presume the grass is greener. But how does this correlate to loyalty and your business no longer being valued? Or are you just mad in general?

I see it as being taken advantage of and not valuing me as a loyal customer (of RCG).  I booked an Aqua class cabin with Celebrity based upon the current offerings at the time, they gladly took my non-refundable deposit but have no qualms with eliminating a majority of the Aqua class perks, downgrading the quality of the food and so many other changes.  While it may be within their legal rights to do so per the cruise contract, it is not how you treat your loyal customers.  Change is a reality and we need to embrace it but so many significant changes is a clear choice between profits and respecting your loyal customers.  Laura Hodges Bethge can try to sugar coat things but the reality is the changes have been made and as of now, very few have been rolled back.  She was incharge of Royal's shared services center, she is a bean counter (like Jason Liberty) that specializes in cutting cost and that is what she's been doing at light speed.

Edited by Jjohnb
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Jjohnb said:

I see it as being taken advantage of and not valuing me as a loyal customer (of RCG).  I booked an Aqua class cabin with Celebrity based upon the current offerings at the time, they gladly took my non-refundable deposit but have no qualms with eliminating a majority of the Aqua class perks, downgrading the quality of the food and so many other changes.  While it may be within their legal rights to do so per the cruise contract, it is not how you treat your loyal customers.  Change is a reality and we need to embrace it but so many significant changes is a clear choice between profits and respecting your loyal customers. 

I am curious what Aqua class perks they took away? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tudy said:

Her message, in my opinion, was "We did this for you. This is what you wanted. Why are you complaining? Why are you not grateful?" Essentially its a guilt trip. It creates a need in many of us to defend our positions and justify our reasons for not being happy with Celebrity.

Well said.  Making customers the bad guy or to have to overthink things is not what a vacation provider should be actively doing.  One wants a hotel company to have thought through the hotel, one wants restaurants to think through the menu, a resort company to think through the lodging, food and beverage, and environment, and one wants a cruise company to think through all of that plus more categories like logistics, entertainment, etc., so the experience is as stress free and perfect as possible.  Celebrity is requiring too much work, too wishy washy on what is included down to lying about menu changes and avoiding fessing up to cutbacks on quality, etc. 

And, at the same time trying to claim they want customers to think of being homey and warm cookies, which entirely misses the point of a vacation on a line that has been positioned and has designed ships for elevated experiences and service.  Not toll house cookies.  

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Peteymil said:

I am curious what Aqua class perks they took away? 

Following are just the changes that I'm aware of but there could be more:

There is no longer a tray with apples and pears on embarkation

They no longer provide herbal tea every day in cabin

They no longer provide a daily tray of canapes

They no longer provide a welcome bottle of champagne

They no longer provide the individual bottles of upgraded shampoo, shower gel etc

They replaced the tote bag with a smaller one

They no longer provide a sea pass card holder

They apparently eliminated the pillow menu

They do not have the yoga mats and in-room fitness items available

While some of these items may seem trivial, in the aggregate it's quite a lot to take away after you accepted a non-refundable deposit based on your toting that these things would be available.

Edited by Jjohnb
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Jjohnb said:

I see it as being taken advantage of and not valuing me as a loyal customer (of RCG).  I booked an Aqua class cabin with Celebrity based upon the current offerings at the time, they gladly took my non-refundable deposit but have no qualms with eliminating a majority of the Aqua class perks, downgrading the quality of the food and so many other changes.  While it may be within their legal rights to do so per the cruise contract, it is not how you treat your loyal customers.  Change is a reality and we need to embrace it but so many significant changes is a clear choice between profits and respecting your loyal customers.  Laura Hodges Bethge can try to sugar coat things but the reality is the changes have been made and as of now, very few have been rolled back.  She was incharge of Royal's shared services center, she is a bean counter (like Jason Liberty) that specializes in cutting cost and that is what she's been doing at light speed.

I'm still missing the direct connection to loyalty or maybe I view this too pragmatically. The issue reads more of a value proposition versus valuing you personally as a customer. Between significantly increased food, labor, fuel and debt costs, something had to give or there would be no product to offer at all. The only other option is to increase price significantly which would also (and already has) resulted in offending people. Maintaining the 2019 status quo does not work in 2023. 

26 minutes ago, Jjohnb said:

Following are just the changes that I'm aware of but there could be more:

There is no longer a tray with apples and pears on embarkation

They no longer provide herbal tea every day in cabin

They no longer provide a daily tray of canapes

They no longer provide a welcome bottle of champagne

They no longer provide the individual bottles of upgraded shampoo, shower gel etc

They replaced the tote bag with a smaller one

They no longer provide a sea pass card holder

They apparently eliminated the pillow menu

They do not have the yoga mats and in-room fitness items available

While some of these items may seem trivial, in the aggregate it's quite a lot to take away after you accepted a non-refundable deposit based on your toting that these things would be available.

We were in aqua 2 weeks ago and I got the sea pass card holder, I used the yoga mat that was in my room, and I had the champagne, but you had to ask for it. Same with the pillows, I just ask.

I haven't had a tray with apples, pears, or tea in my cabin in years.  

Although I didn't care for the canapes, they are gone, as you say. The other couple things don't bother me, but someone else may be bothered.

15 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Maintaining the 2019 status quo does not work in 2023. 

Celebrity is not maintaining the status quo from 2022 or early 2023, or among the fleet, based on first hand experience and reports.  Many current passengers bought what was being sold earlier in time, too.  To the extent they have a cohesive plan on cutbacks and revenue, the rollout using deny, confuse, double talk, distraction, etc., also hasn't helped.   It's not even close to being explained well at this point. 

All anyone wants is what they expected, which in part, was an experience start to finish when they are not insulted, gaslit, have to pull up screen shots of bullet points for features, and then find out that the crew is getting squeezed on total comp due to tip changes, the butler who was a last light of defense to getting what one wanted was fired, the meat is strange cuts from the freezer, the options are gone, and so on.  

Have never seen anything close and consistent on the Dis boards or sister RC board and went back deep before buying our first cruise in 2022.  Many crap on Chapek at Disney, and other stuff their, but very little and nothing systemic about the experience being a waste of time and money, or general sentiment of regret.  Same on the RC board.  Lots of that here and elsewhere about Celebrity since 2023, and especially since May-ish.  And, not during the 2021-2022 return to full capacity when supply chain and staffing were more legitimate reasons for product issues.  Quite simply, Laura is presiding over an inferior product. 

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tudy said:

I watched the interview several days ago and have been mulling it over before commenting.

I enjoyed Laura Hodges Bethge as a person. She has energy and ideas. But I have concluded that she is a bit of an iron hand in a velvet glove. What do I mean by that? She says things that make us feel warm and fuzzy, but, when really thinking about the message, one grows chilled.

I understand that a business needs to make money and that is her key responsibility. I also understand that I have no obligation to support a business. i have done 8 cruises with Celebrity since the restart and have 8 more scheduled. But the nickel and diming is starting to get to me and I am thinking that I want a cruise experience that is a little more all inclusive. I need to try something different.

"Iron fist in a velvet glove"  IMO does not mean hard and cold in action...warm and fuzzy in word.  In business life that phase was applied to me...the intent was 'you get things done, but in doing so, you're polite and caring'.  Guess anyone can interpret these sayings according to their own life experiences.

28 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

I'm still missing the direct connection to loyalty or maybe I view this too pragmatically. The issue reads more of a value proposition versus valuing you personally as a customer. Between significantly increased food, labor, fuel and debt costs, something had to give or there would be no product to offer at all. The only other option is to increase price significantly which would also (and already has) resulted in offending people. Maintaining the 2019 status quo does not work in 2023. 

You are correct, the price of the Alaska cruise I booked now costs over 150% of what I booked it for.  I understand inflation but have we seen inflation of 150%?  And since they have raised prices so drastically, why do they also need to cut costs and offer a significantly diminished product from what was originally promised?  Could the answer be that, at the moment, demand is up and they are greedy?  If it's the later, I would like Jason Liberty to tell me when he'll begin paying dividends again to shareholders?  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

Celebrity is not maintaining the status quo from 2022 or early 2023, or among the fleet, based on first hand experience and reports.  Many current passengers bought what was being sold earlier in time, too.  To the extent they have a cohesive plan on cutbacks and revenue, the rollout using deny, confuse, double talk, distraction, etc., also hasn't helped.   It's not even close to being explained well at this point. 

All anyone wants is what they expected, which in part, was an experience start to finish when they are not insulted, gaslit, have to pull up screen shots of bullet points for features, and then find out that the crew is getting squeezed on total comp due to tip changes, the butler who was a last light of defense to getting what one wanted was fired, the meat is strange cuts from the freezer, the options are gone, and so on.  

Have never seen anything close and consistent on the Dis boards or sister RC board and went back deep before buying our first cruise in 2022.  Many crap on Chapek at Disney, and other stuff their, but very little and nothing systemic about the experience being a waste of time and money, or general sentiment of regret.  Same on the RC board.  Lots of that here and elsewhere about Celebrity since 2023, and especially since May-ish.  And, not during the 2021-2022 return to full capacity when supply chain and staffing were more legitimate reasons for product issues.  Quite simply, Laura is presiding over an inferior product. 

Like I said, you can choose to take it personally or a bit more pragmatic. One look at their operating expense vs revenue percentage tells the story. Until that drops 20% tightening the belt will continue to happen. It's pretty clear where part of the problem is. 

There are lots of other cruises lines to choose. It's an optional vacation. No one is forcing you into the corner. If our next cruise doesn't meet expectations, off we go. 

image.png.27607419bd9ce4166bc5f4788081e892.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulh84 said:

Like I said, you can choose to take it personally or a bit more pragmatic. One look at their operating expense vs revenue percentage tells the story. Until that drops 20% tightening the belt will continue to happen. It's pretty clear where part of the problem is. 

It's personal when they take money months and years in advance, and inherently once you're on its not like one can leave for a different hotel room, restaurant, menus, service level, etc.  And, as each day gets closer to a cruise, one can't find other options for the same time.  They also penalize cancelations, and inherently can't accommodate changes due to limited capacity.  There's a degree of trust needed, and Celebrity hasn't been meeting it's side of the equation.  Hiding the webinar to only certain people, tracking logins with the CC number, avoiding food and other issues, not presenting a vision, and lying about menu changes and making lame excuses for cookies makes it worse.  But, is reflective of a cultural rot at the corporate level and indifference to the customer experience. 

And, if they were to fold, they probably keep everyone's money. 

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, RichYak said:

Oh John, I was being cheeky and now you've gone and ruined it with logic. 🤣

Sorry Rich. You caught me before my Kirk & Sweeney's kicked in. 

8 hours ago, paulh84 said:

I'm still missing the direct connection to loyalty or maybe I view this too pragmatically. 

It has been my assumption that all of the questions came from Captain's Club Members which are the "most loyal customers."  Then again my logic may be flawed.