MDR breakfast menu

liberty176

Does anyone have any tips or hacks for the MDR breakfast menu?  We'll be on the Emerald in December.  We loved our B2B on the Discovery last December, but found the breakfast menu to be pretty basic compared to other lines (like HAL).  Plain pancakes, plain waffles, etc.  and just one rotating hot dish (that, as non-meat-eaters, we usually can't eat).  Not sure if it was because the Discovery was new or larger, but they were unwilling to prepare anything off menu or even tell me the specials of the day (despite having a list).  We are in a regular mini suite, not club class.

I also find Princess MDR breakfast menu pretty limited, but on the Emerald last month I asked for and got sliced avocado with whole wheat toast, with poached eggs on the side, so I could assemble my own avocado toast. Unfortunately I didn’t realize they would do this until the 17th day of a 19 day cruise, lol. Avocado is nowhere on the menu. I think the toast was actually multigrain. Whole grain seems scarce on Princess.

A lady next to us also ordered the James Beard French toast (if you like the sweet things) even though it wasn’t on the menu for breakfast. It was on the lunch menu only as a brunch item. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Oxo said:

Thanks for this link. I have been checking out Celebrity and NCL menus as I have cruises coming up with them and you can really see the difference from pre-pandemic menus there. Lots less choice. Glad to see Princess still has a great menu!

2 minutes ago, Albinroo said:

Thanks for this link. I have been checking out Celebrity and NCL menus as I have cruises coming up with them and you can really see the difference from pre-pandemic menus there. Lots less choice. Glad to see Princess still has a great menu!

Been on Celebrity Apex and NCL Prima this past year. Breakfast was excellent and many choices on both!

Happy Cruising! 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Senga said:

Just wondering what everyone NORMALLY eats for breakfast!  Even "basic" in the MDR is more than we have at home so I'll never complain.  😂

That raises a question I haven’t thought about since I got off the ship three weeks ago.  My regular breakfast is often a bowl of Cheerios with fruit and almond milk.  I know I can get nondairy milks at the IC for coffee.  But can I order nondairy milk with my cereal in the MDR?  I’ve never seen it on the menu or in the buffet either.

My other regular breakfast is eggs, home fries and bacon or sausage.  And I am happy to order that all cruise long. 

8 hours ago, Senga said:

Just wondering what everyone NORMALLY eats for breakfast!  Even "basic" in the MDR is more than we have at home so I'll never complain.  😂

When I eat breakfast at home, it's bacon with two or three eggs, hollandaise sauce and toast. Or poached eggs, hollandaise and Canadian bacon with a side of toast. 

Or a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich.. 

And yes, I make it and clean it all up myself.  

I would prefer to enjoy the same on vacation. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

That raises a question I haven’t thought about since I got off the ship three weeks ago.  My regular breakfast is often a bowl of Cheerios with fruit and almond milk.  I know I can get nondairy milks at the IC for coffee.  But can I order nondairy milk with my cereal in the MDR?  I’ve never seen it on the menu or in the buffet either.

My other regular breakfast is eggs, home fries and bacon or sausage.  And I am happy to order that all cruise long. 

I have ordered soy milk in the past. 

• Like 1

Any chance to get some fresh pineapple anywhere for breakfast?

On 10/2/2023 at 4:55 PM, Senga said:

since I usually skip lunch (specially on non-sea days) it’s typically for me fresh fruit (pineapple), yoghurt, poached or soft boiled egg, salmon,bagel with cream cheese, avocado (if available)and a cappuccino

With the limited breakfast menu I might be looking at grabbing something at the IC for breakfast on non sea days to be honest

on sea days I would add French toast or waffles in the mix 

We don’t eat bacon or sausage, but we do occasionally have poached eggs on whole wheat toast.  Most of the time it’s oatmeal or muesli with fruit.  I also enjoy a waffle with cottage cheese and berries.  And coffee!  I prefer latte or cappuccino.

4 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

We don’t eat bacon or sausage, but we do occasionally have poached eggs on whole wheat toast.  Most of the time it’s oatmeal or muesli with fruit.  I also enjoy a waffle with cottage cheese and berries.  And coffee!  I prefer latte or cappuccino.

So, which do you prefer: MDR, buffet or IC?

I let my wife select our breakfast venue because it’s a more important meal for her than it is for me.  She likes the IC muesli and since I can get an Americano next door, I’m satisfied.

But breakfast in the MDR just screams “vacation” to me (even though I’m retired).  Breakfast in the buffet says “business trip”. I’m not sure what message I get from the IC.

Rarely do we eat in the buffet for any meal.  It’s just not appealing to us.  We like to sit at a table with a tablecloth and linens and order off of a menu.  So nice to be served first thing in the morning and such a lovely way to start the day.  I often order something not on the menu, like the waffle, cottage cheese and berries, with no problem.

We both love the IC, but not for breakfast.  The food is delicious but I hate wandering around holding a tray to find a seat and the having to go back if you forget something.  For daytime snacks on the go, it’s perfect!

Try the MDR and I’ll be surprised if it doesn’t become your favourite reakfast venue.  Your wife, I’m sure, will enjoy it very much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lady Arwen said:

Rarely do we eat in the buffet for any meal.  It’s just not appealing to us.  We like to sit at a table with a tablecloth and linens and order off of a menu.  So nice to be served first thing in the morning and such a lovely way to start the day.  I often order something not on the menu, like the waffle, cottage cheese and berries, with no problem.

We both love the IC, but not for breakfast.  The food is delicious but I hate wandering around holding a tray to find a seat and the having to go back if you forget something.  For daytime snacks on the go, it’s perfect!

Try the MDR and I’ll be surprised if it doesn’t become your favourite reakfast venue.  Your wife, I’m sure, will enjoy it very much.

We have.  But her priorities at breakfast are fiber and hot tea. I like protein and grease, maybe a few carbs, and strong smooth coffee. And I can survive half the day on just the coffee.  I agree about the menu/tablecloth/server and being led to a table.  The experience is considerably elevated over the other two options (we are not room service people). I’ve never seen the MDR crowded at breakfast, although we’ve never gone on disembarkation day. So, in a word, ambiance is what makes it better. But sometimes she’s in a hurry - she only weighs 100#, so needs fuel right after waking. And we feel comfortable in the IC or vicinity, after rising and getting dressed without a high degree of primping.  I feel compelled to make myself more presentable for breakfast in the MDR because of the atmosphere.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

We have.  But her priorities at breakfast are fiber and hot tea. I like protein and grease, maybe a few carbs, and strong smooth coffee. And I can survive half the day on just the coffee.  I agree about the menu/tablecloth/server and being led to a table.  The experience is considerably elevated over the other two options (we are not room service people). I’ve never seen the MDR crowded at breakfast, although we’ve never gone on disembarkation day. So, in a word, ambiance is what makes it better. But sometimes she’s in a hurry - she only weighs 100#, so needs fuel right after waking. And we feel comfortable in the IC or vicinity, after rising and getting dressed without a high degree of primping.  I feel compelled to make myself more presentable for breakfast in the MDR because of the atmosphere.

I love that cruising offers us so many options and there’s always something for everyone.  Happy sailings to you both!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, schnapperin said:

Any chance to get some fresh pineapple anywhere for breakfast?

since I usually skip lunch (specially on non-sea days) it’s typically for me fresh fruit (pineapple), yoghurt, poached or soft boiled egg, salmon,bagel with cream cheese, avocado (if available)and a cappuccino

With the limited breakfast menu I might be looking at grabbing something at the IC for breakfast on non sea days to be honesT

I don’t consider the MDR menu “limited”; SO many choices.  I order orange segments (on the menu) and pineapple (not shown on the menu) every morning so that won’t be an issue.

46 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

I let my wife select our breakfast venue because it’s a more important meal for her than it is for me.  She likes the IC muesli and since I can get an Americano next door, I’m satisfied.

But breakfast in the MDR just screams “vacation” to me

Just ask the manager on your first morning to arrange it and the IC muesli will be waiting every day.  This way you both get what you want in a nice, relaxed setting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Senga said:

I don’t consider the MDR menu “limited”; SO many choices.  I order orange segments (on the menu) and pineapple (not shown on the menu) every morning so that won’t be an issue.

Just ask the manager on your first morning to arrange it and the IC muesli will be waiting every day.  This way you both get what you want in a nice, relaxed setting.

Yes!  Great advice!

I am on vacation when cruising....so I like a small bowl of grits with butter and sugar, extra crispy hashbrowns with ham, mushrooms and a drizzle of cheese, scrambled egg (just one) with a touch of cheese and hot sauce, a sausage link or patty, fresh OJ and a glass of very cold Whole Milk.  EACH AND EVEY DAY........feed me until you have to roll me out................LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I enjoy being seated at a table with linens and nice flatware and glassware.  But breakfast in the MDR is a once-a-cruise experience for me.  

As a tea drinker, I hate that I will be offered coffee multiple times before lukewarm water is brought.  

I usually find the pancakes cold and the butter frozen.

The eggs are often poorly cooked and cold.

In the buffet, I pour hot water into two tea cups immediately and let it steep while I get OJ and food.  The pancakes are still cold, but my eggs are warm and properly cooked.  My muffin or bagel comes right out of the toaster, so it is hot.

Instead of “wasting” 90 minutes in the MDR, my buffet breakfast takes about 40 minutes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Instead of “wasting” 90 minutes in the MDR, my buffet breakfast takes about 40 minutes.

That's why we stopped going to the DR for breakfast. It just takes much to long for us. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

That's why we stopped going to the DR for breakfast. It just takes much to long for us. 

We like the DR for breakfast.  Ate 9 out of 10 breakfasts at a table for two.  In and out in 30 minutes.  Eggs were always hot.  Did not eat pancakes, French toast, nor baked items.  Do not drink coffee or tea.  Milk was always cold.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I enjoy being seated at a table with linens and nice flatware and glassware.  But breakfast in the MDR is a once-a-cruise experience for me.  

As a tea drinker, I hate that I will be offered coffee multiple times before lukewarm water is brought.  

I usually find the pancakes cold and the butter frozen.

The eggs are often poorly cooked and cold.

In the buffet, I pour hot water into two tea cups immediately and let it steep while I get OJ and food.  The pancakes are still cold, but my eggs are warm and properly cooked.  My muffin or bagel comes right out of the toaster, so it is hot.

I don’t think an MDR breakfast for us has ever taken more than 45 minutes.  We have had prompt service and the MDRs we’ve selected were never full.  Never a problem with food temperature either. Sorry your experience was so different. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

We like the DR for breakfast.  Ate 9 out of 10 breakfasts at a table for two.  In and out in 30 minutes.  Eggs were always hot.  Did not eat pancakes, French toast, nor baked items.  Do not drink coffee or tea.  Milk was always cold.  

Wow, your quick. We've always found that it takes as much a 5 minutes just to flag down someone to get another Danish (and their always cold). The IC warms them up in the microwave.

It's so much faster at the buffet. we can be in & out in no time in usually less than 40 minutes. 

If you really like to be served then the DR is the way to go.