Make sure your luggage floats

bitob

Sounds like poorly trained forklift drivers it all goes in big cages that are lifted off by fork lift trucks (FLT). Unless Cunard staff have overloaded the cages. It can only be poor training and supervision. Maybe the supervisors failed to turn up due to the floods? and it was just left to the FLT drivers to unload and a failure of a plan. Bad luck but not the end of the world folks.

No, it's not the end of the world but to be fair to those whose luggage has gone into the drink, it's easy to say that from an arm chair perspective.

Whilst I'm, in the 'probably not Cunard's ultimate responsibility' camp, it's still very, very upsetting. I have clothes which are cruise only now and with the best will in the world no matter how well insured I am, cannot be replaced and I would be very upset.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

No, it's not the end of the world but to be fair to those whose luggage has gone into the drink, it's easy to say that from an arm chair perspective.

Whilst I'm, in the 'probably not Cunard's ultimate responsibility' camp, it's still very, very upsetting. I have clothes which are cruise only now and with the best will in the world no matter how well insured I am, cannot be replaced and I would be very upset.

Also it makes a bit of a difference whether they are immediately fished out and slightly soggy or lost forever in the storm.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NE John said:

While we can all be Cruise Critics of Cunard, stop blaming Cunard for everything bad that happens while docked at a port. Port Authorities and others control more of a cruise experience than one thinks. 

Absolutely. I’m surprised nobody has blamed Cunard for the storm yet. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

30 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Do people these days still pack electronics or medications in bags given to porters or checked with airlines?     Hopefully everything lost could be replaced.   LV bags are asking to be stolen wherever they are.

Yes, some people do pack meds in checked bags. When there was a storm last winter and flights were delayed/cancelled, I saw a couple interviewed on the news complaining that they couldn't get their luggage and their meds were in there. My first thought was NOBODY does that! But, obviously, some people do. Electronics, meds, jewelry stay with me. I get a little worried if my carry-on has to go into luggage storage under the bus for an airport shuttle. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Yes, some people do pack meds in checked bags. When there was a storm last winter and flights were delayed/cancelled, I saw a couple interviewed on the news complaining that they couldn't get their luggage and their meds were in there. My first thought was NOBODY does that! But, obviously, some people do. Electronics, meds, jewelry stay with me. I get a little worried if my carry-on has to go into luggage storage under the bus for an airport shuttle. 

I go one better. I have a substantial  but elegant leather rucksack and that stays on my shoulder oron my lap and does not leave my side until we get on the ship. My ipad also goes in it.

The reverse happens when we disembark until we are in the car.

• Like 3

Ports America runs the operations of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal: https://www.portsamerica.com

The terminal’s land is owned by the Port Authority of NY/NJ, leased to the City of NY, and operated by Ports America. So…who’s responsible for this lost luggage incident? Too many cooks in the kitchen!
I worked in local Brooklyn politics dealing with waterfront issues and my wife worked for the Port Department of the Port Authority of NY/NJ dealing with port pilots, Coast Guard, and shipping lines for 25 before retiring. I still follow these waterfront issues. 

I mentioned this before - - Cunard plays no role once port pilots get onboard to steer the ship to the dock or when various coast guards tell the Master if, when, and where any ship can enter a port. 

We can complain about Cunard’s inconsistent WiFi, lukewarm food, dress code compliance etc, but all this other stuff is way beyond Cunard’s control. That goes for any shipping concern: passenger, cargo, and even military. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Yes, some people do pack meds in checked bags. When there was a storm last winter and flights were delayed/cancelled, I saw a couple interviewed on the news complaining that they couldn't get their luggage and their meds were in there. My first thought was NOBODY does that! 

I quite often (weekly?) re-do urgent prescriptions for people with delayed baggage, typically from flying. Some people do it because while liquid medicines can go through hand luggage screening, it's still a hassle in some airports with doctor's letters. Luckily for UK airports the liquids rule is due to be abolished in summer 2024. Others do because they just take a lot of medicines, it's not so unusual for people to be on 20 plus tablets a day, and these people often get large boxes - patients often prefer to take the whole box with them. And some people just aren't physically able to carry a lot so keep hand luggage down to a minimum.

The other thing that catches people out: house keys, car keys, any notes made of parked vehicles and codes for burglar alarms and entry gates. If you go away for a few weeks you tend to forget things!

The Athens Convention and some related EU regulations which still apply in the UK are intended to both protect Cunard - by limiting liability - and passengers - by providing protection. But I'm thinking that some people travel with jewellery and things like photos, it would be horrific to lose something like a wedding ring this way, beyond any financial concern.

• Like 4

I keep toying with the idea of air tags . I must admit I am relieved to see my  luggage appear. I keep saying they are a waste of money as I never fly but for piece of mind they are on the ship or quayside would be good. I wouldn’t put anything valuable in a suitcase. Like many others I do have cruise only clothes shoes etc… I hope everyone gets everything sorted. It reminds me of a story I read once years ago . A lady was at the desk because her luggage had not made it onboard. Also in the queue was the actress Liz Dawn who played Vera Duckworth in Coronation Street. On overhearing the lady’s dismay she only had a few clothes to wear and no evening wear, she invited her to her cabin to borrow items from her  wardrobe until her own luggage turned up. What a kind generous offer. 

Edited by Winifred 22
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

I keep toying with the idea of air tags . I must admit I am relieved to see my  luggage appear. I keep saying they are a waste of money as I never fly but for piece of mind they are on the ship or quayside would be good. I wouldn’t put anything valuable in a suitcase. Like many others I do have cruise only clothes shoes etc… I hope everyone gets everything sorted. It reminds me of a story I read once years ago . A lady was at the desk because her luggage had not made it onboard. Also in the queue was the actress Liz Dawn who played Vera Duckworth in Coronation Street. On overhearing the lady’s dismay she only had a few clothes to wear and no evening wear, she invited her to her cabin to borrow items from her  wardrobe until her own luggage turned up. What a kind generous offer. 

Hope Jack's vest wasn't in her wardrobe!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, NE John said:

While we can all be Cruise Critics of Cunard, stop blaming Cunard for everything bad that happens while docked at a port. Port Authorities and others control more of a cruise experience than one thinks. 

That may well be very true but when mistakes/accidents happen, surely someone must be taken into account and reimburse you for your loss. It was most certainly not the passengers fault their luggage ended up in the sea.

4 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

That may well be very true but when mistakes/accidents happen, surely someone must be taken into account and reimburse you for your loss. It was most certainly not the passengers fault their luggage ended up in the sea.

No doubt and I’ll be interested also to see who steps up to make those unfortunate people affected by drowned luggage whole. 

• Like 1

Passengers have no recourse with port and stevedores. They have no legal duty to passengers. They do have a legal duty of care to Cunard 

our contract/ relationship is with Cunard and we look to them for compensation. Cunard can look to port to recover if it wishes to

basic contract law

i have AirTags in all my bags. One of the lost bags recently turned up at the pier. It is showing its location in intervals. No one from Cunard is there to contact people if bags were recovered (which they promised to do) and the office handling claims for Cunard is closed for the weekend. Really?

they don’t seem to be too concerned 

Edited by bitob
  • Like 5

I think it’s the amount of compensation that concerns me 

this was not a one week Caribbean cruise with luggage filled with tshirts and shorts. We spent 18 nights in queens grill and we dressed up every night. We like expensive clothes and some items were purchased during our travels. Many items are irreplaceable. One fabulous beaded evening bag was hand made in Paris for my mother. Priceless . Of course providing receipts will be impossible. 

some folks packed jewelry and they were freaking out and crying. We know better. 

right now it’s a hot mess. Luckily I have a great ta with fabulous connections. He is taking the lead. 

what should they have done?  I’m guessing there 30 or so cabins affected. So simple.
They should have had someone call each guest to reassure them that everything possible was being done to retrieve the baggage. They should have had a rep at the pier when luggage was recovered to inform the owners. We all filled out detailed paperwork. And the claims center should be open. They get an f for how they are handling this 

5 hours ago, seasickphil said:

Insurance by the traveller plays a major role here.

And for anyone with real jewellery, it should never be packed regardless of what it is and should always be kept on your person or in your handbag when embarking or disembarking. Surely people wouldn't pack jewellery in a suitcase and check it in for air travel? I know I do not.

• Like 5

I’m dismayed and disappointed with what has been described regarding Cunard’s reaction to this mess.  I expected them to step up in a much better way than bitob has described.

When people are disembarking they generally are heading for the airport so following up with luggage that is eventually found and returned to the pier requires Cunard’s intervention. And Cunard serving as a liaison with impacted guests is just customer service 101.

I hope bitob that you will keep us posted on your experience and let us know how it gets resolved with Cunard.  I wish you all the best with this unfortunate situation.

Ouch, that is a disapointing way to end a sailing for sure.

We were on this sailing, but we did Fast Track and self-disembarked at 7:05am (it was scheduled for 7:15a-7:45a, but when we got to Deck 3 at 7:05a it had already been going for some time), so we missed all of this luggage fiasco. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Carnevale said:

I’m dismayed and disappointed with what has been described regarding Cunard’s reaction to this mess.  I expected them to step up in a much better way than bitob has described.

When people are disembarking they generally are heading for the airport so following up with luggage that is eventually found and returned to the pier requires Cunard’s intervention. And Cunard serving as a liaison with impacted guests is just customer service 101.

I hope bitob that you will keep us posted on your experience and let us know how it gets resolved with Cunard.  I wish you all the best with this unfortunate situation.

Thanks. I should know more tomorrow. 

Someone asked if there was a video.

This happened before anyone was allowed to disembark.

What makes matters worse, when we said we could not find 2 of our bags in the appropriate section. we were told they were still unloading bags and they would likely be off soon.THEY DID NOT TELL US THAT BAGS WENT INTO THE WATER.  It was not until I went up the line and prodded for more information that I learned what happened.