Make sure your luggage floats

bitob

11 minutes ago, bitob said:

I’m not sure they would be enough to keep them working when submerged for days but worth a try. 

My thoughts also but then again what are the odds that any of our bags would be dropped into a river.    Also from the poster that can see theirs on the dock it doesn't seem to be helping reunited them to their owner.

I have also ask my ta to inquire if the wet luggage can go by truck if the owner is in US 

I used luggage forward to send my one undamaged  bag home. It took 5 days. Cunard has a relationship with luggage forward. It could take an eternity for the luggage to dry out. More time for mildew to set in 

11 hours ago, bitob said:

I have also ask my ta to inquire if the wet luggage can go by truck if the owner is in US 

I used luggage forward to send my one undamaged  bag home. It took 5 days. Cunard has a relationship with luggage forward. It could take an eternity for the luggage to dry out. More time for mildew to set in 

I am so hopeful for you, and the others, caught in this mess. I can only imagine how I would feel in this situation, and I think you are handling it well.

I appreciate you letting us follow along. 

• Thanks 1

Update

My TA is with the head of Guest Relations of Cunard on QM2

That person is checking with thePort Authority today to get update on returning bags to affected passengers.  Ground transfers are in the mix.

Slow and steady

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We were also on this crossing. We left the ship at our allotted time . We hadn’t heard any info about how bad the weather was. After waiting for taxis or Uber we decided to walk out of the area and see if we could catch a ride. We managed to do that and arrived at our Newark hotel drenched . Once we got home to Halifax,Nova Scotia it took a day or so to dry out our luggage .I hope you get your luggage soon and you are able to salvage some contents. We will make sure we have luggage covers for our next trips. We already use Air tags.

• Like 1

Update

Oh how I LOVE my Airtags

Only working in one of the 2 bags but I know both bags are together.

They just moved from Pier 12 to a nearby address which I looked up and turns out it's a Fedex shipping center.

Hopeful

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Chart Room Princess said:

Great news. Hope your items are salvageable.

Thanks

I'm hoping the washable stuff can be saved

Already bought new luggage!!!  LOL

I'm on the phone with Luggage Forward to try to find out if they are the entity shipping the bags home

• Like 1

I called Fedex to see if they could locate my luggage at the Brooklyn facility and give me tracking numbers.  The local Fedex facility cannot be called directly.

Catch 22

I need the tracking numbers to get info about my bags

They asked me who created the labels.

Ridiculous – Port staff?  Cunard?

Someone from Cunard should have contacted the recipients and given us the tracking numbers when the labels were created.

This has been handled so poorly.

5 hours ago, bitob said:

Update

Oh how I LOVE my Airtags

Only working in one of the 2 bags but I know both bags are together.

They just moved from Pier 12 to a nearby address which I looked up and turns out it's a Fedex shipping center.

Hopeful

I love seeing some forward movement in this. Hopeful as well....

Would I be asking for too much in hoping that you will be sharing photos of the condition of your luggage and items when you receive them?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terry&mike said:

I love seeing some forward movement in this. Hopeful as well....

Would I be asking for too much in hoping that you will be sharing photos of the condition of your luggage and items when you receive them?

If you really want to see . . .

I am hoping the bags arrive this week

I will be away next week.  My husband will be home but I told him NOT to open them

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/9/2023 at 10:02 AM, BTV said:

We were also on this crossing. We left the ship at our allotted time . We hadn’t heard any info about how bad the weather was. After waiting for taxis or Uber we decided to walk out of the area and see if we could catch a ride. We managed to do that and arrived at our Newark hotel drenched . Once we got home to Halifax,Nova Scotia it took a day or so to dry out our luggage .I hope you get your luggage soon and you are able to salvage some contents. We will make sure we have luggage covers for our next trips. We already use Air tags.

The idea of luggage covers is interesting.  I am guessing they provide some protection from rain.  Not sure if they would be effective if a bag is submerged in the river.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bitob said:

If you really want to see . . .

I am hoping the bags arrive this week

I will be away next week.  My husband will be home but I told him NOT to open them

Absolutely, but only if you feel like sharing after you examine the contents and see how you feel. I am sensitive that although my curiosity is peaked by this, these are your things and this mess of a situation is your reality. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bitob said:

The idea of luggage covers is interesting.  I am guessing they provide some protection from rain.  Not sure if they would be effective if a bag is submerged in the river.

I'm sorry for your trouble and know this won't help in the current situation but I post it in case it is of assistance to anyone else.

I pack my clothes in compression storage bags - not because I want to squeeze more stuff in my case but just so that if the case gets wet, the clothes remain dry. The bags must by definition be waterproof because they are airtight - if not, they won't stay compressed. 

You don't even need to compress them (although I do, by sitting on them) - you are essentially packing into heavy duty sealed plastic bags.

I buy ones as close to the size of my case as I can, then just layer them in flat - a convenient and quick way of keeping everything organised and tidy in the case.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I use compression bags for some items. Great. But like luggage covers I’m not certain they would be totally effective if a bag is fully submerged for a period of time 

I hope none of us ever has to find out

• Like 1

Update 

I have a FedEx tracking number 

Expected delivered 10/17

obviously going by truck 

claims department supposed to contact everyone but I’ve heard nothing.  My contact reached out and got tracking number 

Edited by bitob
  • Like 5

I still have heard nothing from claims despite being assured I would

I have no idea if they are shipping only one bag or 2

One bag may still be at bottom of Hudson River

Worst of all, my contact cannot find out anything!!!!  She works for customer relations.  it's an abomination.

I have no respect whatsoever for Cunard.  This has been handled with the greatest incompetence.  They really do not care.  No continued record keeping once ship docked.  They have no intention of figuring out what was recovered and what was not and notifying passengers.  This was EASY to do.  They collected a list of all missing bags (with descriptions) and passenger contact information when we disembarked.  That, apparently, was the end of it.

I am frustrated.  I have done more work to try to track down my bags than Cunard.  I am also angry.  There is no excuse for their utter disregard of their passengers.

8 hours ago, bitob said:

I still have heard nothing from claims despite being assured I would

I have no idea if they are shipping only one bag or 2

One bag may still be at bottom of Hudson River

Worst of all, my contact cannot find out anything!!!!  She works for customer relations.  it's an abomination.

I have no respect whatsoever for Cunard.  This has been handled with the greatest incompetence.  They really do not care.  No continued record keeping once ship docked.  They have no intention of figuring out what was recovered and what was not and notifying passengers.  This was EASY to do.  They collected a list of all missing bags (with descriptions) and passenger contact information when we disembarked.  That, apparently, was the end of it.

I am frustrated.  I have done more work to try to track down my bags than Cunard.  I am also angry.  There is no excuse for their utter disregard of their passengers.

You're 100% right!  It's so obvious by now how little respect and care Cunard shows for their passengers.

I can understand that mistakes and accidents happen.  But how you deal with them and address the problem is very showing.  Absolutely unacceptable for the Company pretending to be the industry leader.

After 13 days they've sent to us our two large suitcases by truck.  They both were 50 lb. prior to the incident.  Now, according to Fedex, they are 64 and 73.5 lb.  Can imagine how much water they ship to us!  I doubt much survived inside.  Formal clothing, expensive prescription medication, some irreplaceable family memorabilia, one piece of art (painting), gifts from Europe for our grandson, etc.  Most likely all lost!

I am just wondering is there any will on part of our fellow passengers to make it more public somehow?  Shame on Cunard!

• Like 3

I have to ask why you packed those things in your luggage ?

Cunard website advises -

"On Board.

On your final night on board you will be asked to pack your luggage and leave it outside your stateroom.

We recommend that you do not pack valuables, fragile items and medication. "

• Like 5

Cunard took the responsibility for returning bags to us when we disembarked -- not the Port Authority.

Cunard rep made the list and took the information.  She promised we would be contacted if and when bags were located.  That did not happen.

They have done nothing.

There is nothing "abnormal" about packing formal clothes and memorabilia and gifts in a suitcase.  Those are not "valuables."  Packing jewelry is insane.

After I make a claim and get reimbursed, I plan to do something.  Not sure what

My TA is furious.  I am no longer patient.

I still do not know if both bags were recovered

I suspect only 1 was

Not a single person from Cunard has contacted me even though I was told they would.

I have a bag coming -- weighs way too much -- must be water weight.

I really am not upset about the contents of my bags.  That's life.  Its stuff.

I am really angry about the way Cunard has treated those of us whose luggage ended up in the river.

They do not care.  Full stop.  Period.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I have to ask why you packed those things in your luggage ?

Cunard website advises -

"On Board.

On your final night on board you will be asked to pack your luggage and leave it outside your stateroom.

We recommend that you do not pack valuables, fragile items and medication. "

The answer is quite simple.  In our age we can not carry heavy luggage and we were assured by Cunard representative on board that ALL our luggage will be safely delivered to the pier.  BTW this was exactly our expectation as well.

And if you've read my post, we are mostly upset not just by this misfortunate incident but by the way Cunard handled this whole situation.  Absolute lack of care and timely information.

• Like 3

The answer is quite simple.  In our age we can not carry heavy luggage and we were assured by Cunard representative on board that ALL our luggage will be safely delivered to the pier.  BTW this was exactly our expectation as well.

And if you've read my post, we are mostly upset not just by this misfortunate incident but by the way Cunard handled this whole situation.  Absolute lack of care and timely information.