Australia/New Zealand worth it? Any advice/thoughts?

DaisyUK

Hi, we are considering a 30-day cruise on Symphony in January. Neither of us has ever visited Australia or New Zealand and I am trying to get a feel as to whether it's worth the very long journey or not. Wondering whether any of you who have experienced this part of the world on a cruise think it is unmissable, or whether there are better options closer to home? I realise as I'm typing this that it's very broad question, but nevertheless any insights/advice would be most welcome.

Daisy,  visits to both Australia and New Zealand are well-worth the effort to get there from Texas.  I think your distance/traveling time is not too much greater than ours (in the sense of world travel).

We spent 3 weeks in Australia (on a land tour) the first time we went -- loved all of it.

Next visit was an Auckland to Sydney segment of a Serenity World Cruise -- saw lots of NZ and some Australian places we hadn't been previously -- loved all of it.

So, from this side of the Atlantic Pond and halfway across our continent, you get at least our two votes to "just do it".   Bob & Bob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Do it! They are both wonderful countries to visit whether by ship or overland - or both! You can expect some rocky seas if you cross between the two. 

If it's not obvious fly biz - ideally on a ME airline wioth a stopover there - Abu Dhabi ideally.
If you require a Passepartout I can make myself available - given some notice (10 minutes would be adequate).

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We love visiting both countries and we could do it over and over and over.  

Just as we love Europe we love these two places.

I highly recommend it.

Each time we return we've been fortunate to revisit places but see new ones and there is so much to see and do.

What makes them special is their natural beauty, the people, and also that they are remote.

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I assume you are looking at the January 4th cruise from Sydney to Bali.  We are booked on this cruise and this will be our second time for the cruise around New Zealand.  If you haven’t been there it is definitely worth going.  We have been to Australia several times and we think the long flights are just part of the experience.  

• Thanks 1

Australia and New Zealand are both fabulous and are particularly well suited to cruising since most of the cities are on the coast.  And you speak the language!

"When you see the Southern Cross for the first time...You understand now why you came this way...."

Seriously..when you go spend some time on a clear night star gazing! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are booked for this same 30 night B2B cruise with 4 nights in Sydney ahead of embarkation.  Excited for NYE in Sydney.  First time for us in Australia and our port calls will all be first time for us except for Auckland.  Looking forward to meeting you if you decide to join.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with all the suggestions so far. 

If you choose to go please very much consider getting there early enough to enjoy NYE in Sydney Harbor it is simply amazing. We did it through Crystal on a special excursion while we were on Symphony for NYE into the new year of 2017. Awesome experience!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, seasack said:

If you choose to go please very much consider getting there early enough to enjoy NYE in Sydney Harbor it is simply amazing. We did it through Crystal on a special excursion while we were on Symphony for NYE into the new year of 2017. Awesome experience!

We were on that excursion and I certainly wouldn’t call it awesome I’m afraid - but it’s certainly something we’ll never forget! That particular NYE excursion was very memorable - sadly for all the wrong reasons - it was poorly executed by Crystal who ended up compensating guests $1000 each 

We witnessed an actual fight between two guests over a seat on one of the two excursion tenders. They ran out of champagne on one. Basically they chose a local provider for the tenders who was certainly not up to Crystal's standards. Hopefully that never occurs again. I do stress this was old Crystal so there’s no reason to believe it would happen again 

We did a NYE cruise on another providers boat (Captain Cook Line - Sydney 2000) last year and there was no comparison - food and atmosphere was 10x better. If the OP is organising a private NYE cruise to enjoy the fireworks let me know and I’d be happy to give you details (ironically I put Crystal friends who were here in 2017 onto that option and they loved it - while we floated around on subpar crowded Crystal excursion boats with inadequate seating, toilet and catering facilities 

Re cruising and land in Australia and New Zealand - particularly on Crystal we’ve done several itineraries in the area and Sydney to Bali or reverse on multiple lines including Crystal, we live in Sydney and are from NZ. It’s a great easy way to see a variety of ports - but do try and spend sometime pre cruise to do one or two areas in depth. It’s unfortunate that the cruise you’re looking at doesn’t appear to include cruising the other fjords in Fiordland except Milford Sound - Crystal’s cartographers need a lesson as they’ve com0etely missed that detour off their map! 

I can see the 30 days is a combo cruise - Sydney to Sydney cruise around NZ - https://crystalcruises.com/cruises/none-csy-017-240104 - with the one after, on 21 Jan I wouldn’t bother with it if your objective is to see Australia and NZ although an overnight in Cairns is good. The rest of the itinerary is good though if you want to experience some different places like Aloutau and Komodo and ending in Bali gets you close to Singapore to head home (I’d recommend looking at Singapore Airlines Business class for an air option - they are great and the service superb)   - https://crystalcruises.com/cruises/none-csy-013-240121

An alternative would be to finish in Sydney and consider a land tour to include the Indian Pacific or Ghan trains (if you can get on at short notice) or explore parts of Australia like Adelaide or South East Queensland - you could easily spend 2 weeks doing that 

You have a lot of options depending on your interests and ability to understand land based touring - happy to help with itinerary suggestions 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Midtowngal said:

We are booked for this same 30 night B2B cruise with 4 nights in Sydney ahead of embarkation.  Excited for NYE in Sydney.  First time for us in Australia and our port calls will all be first time for us except for Auckland. 

You’ll have a ball as Sydney does NYE so well

Let me know if you want help planning your 4 days in Sydney - selecting the right NYE cruise is important and as you’ve probably found out hotels get very expensive and busy around NYE

57 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

You’ll have a ball as Sydney does NYE so well

Let me know if you want help planning your 4 days in Sydney - selecting the right NYE cruise is important and as you’ve probably found out hotels get very expensive and busy around NYE

Thank you very much for the offer.  We have reservations at Cafe Sydney for NYE and may take a dinner cruise one of the other nights.  We have heard that Captain Cook Sydney 2000 has a nice one on upper deck.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Midtowngal said:

Thank you very much for the offer.  We have reservations at Cafe Sydney for NYE and may take a dinner cruise one of the other nights.  We have heard that Captain Cook Sydney 2000 has a nice one on upper deck.

Good choice for a land based evening and a very nice restaurant too - right on Circular Quay - you’re going to have a great view on the terrace out the front as it’s elevated 

We did Sydney 2000 last NYE in the mid deck and it was amazing

Definitely do a harbour cruise while here and we can absolutely recommend Captain Cook line

The other “must do” on the water is to take the Many Ferry out to Manly and walk to the ocean beach - lots of pubs and cafes there as well as a nice beach esplanade - the ferry is a public ferry and runs regularly - cheap as chips as we say 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, seasack said:

I agree completely a lot of unforced errors on Crystal’s excursion. What I was trying to put across was I enjoyed the experience of being there for NYE very much and when I was there to experience it. 

Yes the fireworks themselves were great - and being on the water we had a great view of one of the fireworks barges as well as the bridge - the reverberations from the fireworks were amazing 

Heres a video I took on the night from the tender - interesting how technology and video quality has moved on in those 6 years but you’ll get the idea 

• Like 2

We did a 20-night land trip in around 2007, just to Australia. Then in around 2012, we did a cruise, Sydney to Auckland, with our own six-night pre-cruise stay in Sydney. 

We loved both of those trips. If it weren’t so far, we’d probably go again!

Your itinerary includes some places we felt were true highlights of travel, and some we have not seen. Even though the history is so recent, I think you’ll find it fascinating. We certainly did. And the natural beauty in some places is fairly unique.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, May B said:

Even though the history is so recent, I think you’ll find it fascinating. We certainly did. And the natural beauty in some places is fairly unique.

Whilst the European history is recent - the history of the indigenous people and natural history is not so much - very ancient 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Whilst the European history is recent - the history of the indigenous people and natural history is not so much - very ancient 

Natural, for sure! I think the Māori are more recent than Australia’s native population?

Auckland’s museum was wonderful, as was Wellington’s (not a stop for DaisyUK, I don’t think).

We also enjoyed botanical gardens, one in Wellington, one in Sydney and a third one (Hobart?).

Among many other attractions.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, May B said:

Natural, for sure! I think the Māori are more recent than Australia’s native population?

Auckland’s museum was wonderful, as was Wellington’s (not a stop for DaisyUK, I don’t think).

We also enjoyed botanical gardens, one in Wellington, one in Sydney and a third one (Hobart?).

Among many other attractions.

Yes the Māori were invaders and killed off the previous inhabitants whereas the Aboriginals in Australia date back a very long time 

I see Symphony will tender in Auckland - that’s unusual. The Auckland War Memorial Museum is pretty good but the national museum Te Papa is in Wellington - as you say not a port they’ll visit 

If they like gardens there are several I can recommend in the ports - your memory serves you well with both Wellington and Sydney have impressive botanic gardens 

Let’s see if Daisy comes back asking for suggestions - it really depends on what she’s interested in

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Midtowngal said:

We are booked for this same 30 night B2B cruise with 4 nights in Sydney ahead of embarkation.  Excited for NYE in Sydney.  First time for us in Australia and our port calls will all be first time for us except for Auckland.  Looking forward to meeting you if you decide to join.

Since you are going to be there four nights, I highly recommend a trip out to Doyle's at Watson's Bay for lunch. You can take the ferry from Circular Quay out to Watson's Bay, and the restaurant is right off the pier to the left! Some of the best seafood in the Sydney area, as Stickman, a good friend, will attest! Reservations recommended, and try the Seafood Tower!!! Just don't plan on a big dinner that evening!!!!

• Like 1