Lounge access in LAX

cruiselvr04

We are traveling through LAX to Sydney in 2024.  We have an 11 hour layover each way.  We rarely fly internationally but plan on doing it more.  Our usual is non stop domestically which means we haven’t needed a lounge. I don’t want to get a specific airline card for lounge use.  Are there other good options out there?  Is there anyway to purchase a pass for the day? Are there rules for how long before a flight you can use one?  

9 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We are traveling through LAX to Sydney in 2024.  We have an 11 hour layover each way.  We rarely fly internationally but plan on doing it more.  Our usual is non stop domestically which means we haven’t needed a lounge. I don’t want to get a specific airline card for lounge use.  Are there other good options out there?  Is there anyway to purchase a pass for the day? Are there rules for how long before a flight you can use one?  

You can purchase lounge access a number of ways, which I won't list as they're too numerous but here is a starter resource.  Most stays are limited to three hours.

https://www.way.com/blog/lax-airport-lounges-all-you-need-to-know/#:~:text=Yes%2C you can pay to,the LAX Star Alliance Lounge.

Edited by d9704011

Don't believe that lounges are available at LAX that have pay-in access.  Wish the previous poster had listed even one.  There are no Priority Pass lounges, and most airlines do not have paid access anymore.

If I had 11 hours, even with lounge access, I'd just get a room at one of the local hotels and grab some sleep and a shower.  And a solid meal in the airport restaurant.

Edited by FlyerTalker
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

There is no limit on time in a lounge I have ever heard of.

When access is from a business or first ticket, that's the case.

However, if due to lounge membership or credit card access, yes, there are limits.  Many priority pass lounges have entry limits along with Centurion lounges from Amex.

2 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

When access is from a business or first ticket, that's the case.

However, if due to lounge membership or credit card access, yes, there are limits.  Many priority pass lounges have entry limits along with Centurion lounges from Amex.

And how do they enforce this? Time dated ticket? Or just not letting you in more than XX minutes before your flight?

38 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

And how do they enforce this? Time dated ticket? Or just not letting you in more than XX minutes before your flight?

Exactly. They require your onward boarding pass. Example: If your flight departs at 4:18pm, you can get in after 1:18pm.  Sometimes, they will let you slide a few minutes, but at other times they can be strict as hell.  I considered myself lucky to get into the DEN Centurion lounge five minutes early - the lounge dragon told me "I shouldn't but I'll make an exception so you don't have to go back down the escalator."

Same three hour rule at DL SkyClubs and many PP lounges.

Edited by FlyerTalker
  • Like 1

At LAX it depends on who you are flying.  I would join the others in saying with that long of a layover I would look at a hotel or go sightseeing.  Keep in mind lounge access rules change frequently.

The Alaska Airlines Lounge in T6 on a space available basis will sell a day pass to anyone irrespective of what airline you're flying for $60 a person.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/airport-lounge/day-pass

If you're flying United or a Star Alliance carrier you can, on a space available basis buy a day pass to the United Club in T7 for $59 a person.

If you're flying American or a Oneworld carrier you can buy a day pass on a space available basis to the Admirals Club in T5 or T6 for $79 a person.

Lastly if you're flying a Star Alliance carrier you can buy a pass (3 hours prior) to the Star Alliance lounge in TBIT for $75 per person.

If you have an Amex Platinum you can access the Centurion Lounge in TBIT up to 3 hours prior, though that is waived if you are doing an actual connection.

Edited by BOB999

Agree with just booking a hotel room.  You can get some sleep, a meal and shower.  And, also agree with the difficulty of obtaining lounge access with a day pass.  More and more lounges are closed to day pass users because of overcrowding.  You won't be able to hang out there for 11 hours anyway.

I had an entire day to kill after a cruise.  Booked a room at the LAX Airport Marriott (I booked a regular room, not a day room, but was luckily able to get very early check in-probably around 10 AM.)

I had a club level room so they allowed me to hang out in the lounge until my room was ready.  I napped, went out for a while, napped, ate, and so on until about 6 or 7 PM.   Went over to LAX, checked in, bought a day pass to UA's lounge and had a nice couple hours there before my flight.

For an 11 hour layover, I'd go to an airport hotel.