Meraviglia - Brooklyn Cruise Terminal

jm2341

Greetings -

I have read of long embarkation lines at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal when entering onto the Meraviglia. Although we have a tentative 3:30PM entry time which I have read isn't enforced, what time is suggested to arrive at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and any other suggestions to  avoid the long entry wait times ? Thanks 

1 hour ago, jm2341 said:

Greetings -

I have read of long embarkation lines at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal when entering onto the Meraviglia. Although we have a tentative 3:30PM entry time which I have read isn't enforced, what time is suggested to arrive at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and any other suggestions to  avoid the long entry wait times ? Thanks 

If you are not in YC then I suggest you arrive before 10:00 am. After that there will be a lot of  traffic   and lines to get into the terminal will be snaking outside.

17 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

If you are not in YC then I suggest you arrive before 10:00 am. After that there will be a lot of  traffic   and lines to get into the terminal will be snaking outside.

well,  does that mean the individual will be waiting 6 hours in the terminal??  

49 minutes ago, tewkewl74 said:

well,  does that mean the individual will be waiting 6 hours in the terminal??  

Apparently not much attention is paid to the randomly assigned time, which may change, also seemingly randomly.  EM

Welcome to CC.  Where are you seeing that info?  FB? If so, that pops up to my screen and the disagreement between people on anything is too funny.

I have not seen a lot here though tbh.  I have read one couple took 40 minutes and they did not say YC.  I can report on the 15th.

3 hours ago, dexddd said:

Welcome to CC.  Where are you seeing that info?  FB? If so, that pops up to my screen and the disagreement between people on anything is too funny.

I have not seen a lot here though tbh.  I have read one couple took 40 minutes and they did not say YC.  I can report on the 15th.

Thank you for your reply and I have seen on various YouTube videos submitted by several independent submitters that the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is small and not really meant to be a passenger cruise terminal for a large ship such as the Meraviglia. There is only one lane entering the terminal and the reception area is also small. I leave next weekend for a 10 day Canadian cruise and plan on arriving @ 1030am and hope to avoid the large noon crowds. BTW - as you are leaving, I'll be entering so please don't eat all the food......Thanks 

Edited by jm2341
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Crown Vic said:

One tip for Red Hook. Arrive by ferry rather than road if possible…

That's my plan for my January cruise. Metro North train from CT to Grand Central, subway from there down to Wall St., and quick ferry ride.

1 hour ago, tewkewl74 said:

Perche? is there a parking area that's cheap near the ferry?

Flew in. Stayed with family. Suggest the internet ‘Cheap parking near the Red Hook Terminal’. One site says $10 a day. Check it out. Good luck…

15 minutes ago, Crown Vic said:

Flew in. Stayed with family. Suggest the internet ‘Cheap parking near the Red Hook Terminal’. One site says $10 a day. Check it out. Good luck…

Link me the actual 10 place. Hard to believe. Wow. Great deal if true!

2 hours ago, NYcruzzer said:

Just gotta pray your car is still there when you return....

4 hours ago, Crown Vic said:

The only problem is that that "Red Hook" is in St. Thomas!

image.jpeg.79e06519aeaa225ba8edb4263d517bf4.jpeg
Parking is $10.00 for the day. The ferry terminal parking garage is the closest parking to our dock. If you park in the underground parking lot at the Marina, ...
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, HLR said:

image.jpeg.79e06519aeaa225ba8edb4263d517bf4.jpeg
Parking is $10.00 for the day. The ferry terminal parking garage is the closest parking to our dock. If you park in the underground parking lot at the Marina, ...

Lol.  This is amazing.

We drove from Long Island to the terminal for the 9/10 cruise.  Our assigned time (after all the random changes MSC made between booking and sailing) was 9:30.  I don't do mornings so we left around elevenish.  We had some traffic due to torrential rain, but got to the terminal a bit after noon.  There was no traffic entering, and we got a good parking spot relatively close to the terminal.  MSC said sail away was 3:00, but they lie about that and it was scheduled for more like 4:00.  The security line was very short and by the time we were on the check in line, security line was practically empty.  The check in line snaked around quite a bit but moved pretty fast.  So all in all I would stick to my arriving later and standing on lines that move rather than dealing with rush hour traffic, traffic from previous cruisers leaving and long lines of people who want to be early that then result in hour or longer waits of sitting around waiting to board.   I know Red Hook is different, but we have done things this way with every NY cruise we have taken with similar results.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HLR said:

That is disappointing, but not at all surprising. I found a couple of websites that discussed parking alternatives, but they ended with "at $25 a day, there is no real alternative". Only problem is that parking is now a truly obscene $45 a day, even more so when you realize that there's not even a garage for people sailing during the winter who could potentially return to snow on their cars.

Taking Metro-North, the subway and the ferry is an interesting approach, but I can't see doing it with suitcases (although I have seen people with them on MN trains). I suppose if you can pack light or are more adept at dealing with luggage on trains, it's an option.

Edited by MisterBill99

14 hours ago, tewkewl said:

Link me the actual 10 place. Hard to believe. Wow. Great deal if true!

Does that include the non-Manhattan NYC parking tax rate of 10.375% which the Brooklyn terminal it is included? 

Manhattan if you are wondering is an 18.375% parking tax. Both rates include NYC and NYS sales and use taxes. 

16 minutes ago, caribbeanboy said:

I was looking for public transportation.

Hello -https://new.mta.info/guides/airports/jfk

In my humble opinion and based on your signage, if you are arriving into JFK the day of the cruise and scheduled to arrive @ 1030am from the Netherlands, I would seriously consider an Uber or Lyft. Many flights are delayed, you need to clear customs and become familiar with the public train service. For an extra $25 dollars you will arrive at the port within 30 minutes versus up to 2 hours ( total travel and wait time ). Your time frame is tight and the ship won't wait.  Good Luck 

25 minutes ago, jm2341 said:

Hello -https://new.mta.info/guides/airports/jfk

In my humble opinion and based on your signage, if you are arriving into JFK the day of the cruise and scheduled to arrive @ 1030am from the Netherlands, I would seriously consider an Uber or Lyft. Many flights are delayed, you need to clear customs and become familiar with the public train service. For an extra $25 dollars you will arrive at the port within 30 minutes versus up to 2 hours ( total travel and wait time ). Your time frame is tight and the ship won't wait.  Good Luck 

Arriving from Miami, so no Customs to deal with. European flights mostly arrive in the afternoon. As a matter of fact I clear customs the day before in Aruba.

Edited by caribbeanboy