Israel and upcoming cruise

markf

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I feel bad for the evacuees though. Other countries are flying their own back home. But the USA is just sending them to Cyprus via ship.

USA has arranged for at least 5 special flights for their citizens. The "catch" is that all those flights are to Europe and not to US. USA has a dedicated desk at Tel Aviv's airport, helping all US citizens who want to leave.

On top of that, whoever lives in the north could board the Rhapsody and be shipped to Cyprus, and from there -- "the sky is the limit".

My understanding is that some of those boarding Rhapsody are only interested in a short/long respite from the "situation".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

35 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

USA has arranged for at least 5 special flights for their citizens. The "catch" is that all those flights are to Europe and not to US. USA has a dedicated desk at Tel Aviv's airport, helping all US citizens who want to leave.

On top of that, whoever lives in the north could board the Rhapsody and be shipped to Cyprus, and from there -- "the sky is the limit".

My understanding is that some of those boarding Rhapsody are only interested in a short/long respite from the "situation".

I believe those flights were DoD-centric though, not for regular citizens looking to get out.

22 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I believe those flights were DoD-centric though, not for regular citizens looking to get out.

I write with first hand knowledge that they were open to all American citizens on a first come first served basis.  They might have some people "pre boarded" but regular Joes were definitely invited.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I feel bad for the evacuees though. Other countries are flying their own back home. But the USA is just sending them to Cyprus via ship.

The video attached to another RC post on this evacuation notes how much safer a ship is than an airplane, in this situation. 

• 2 weeks later...