Israel and upcoming cruise

markf

This is hot off the press, but any thoughts on what the plans are for Israel port on a cruise coming up in about a week?

This port is the major reason we booked, and I am wondering what the cancellation policy might be . 

At this stage the best advice is probably to be patient. Odyssey is/was due to call at Haifa tomorrow and Ashdod on Monday so Royal’s top priority will be to sort out the current cruise. 

Early next week, once the situation has become clearer, I would expect a decision about what to do with the next sailing.

Ordinarily a missed or substituted port would not automatically entitle you to cancel for a full refund/FCC but this may be different so hang tight - I know everyone wants answers right now, particularly those with flights to Rome looming, but these things inevitably take time as there are many logistical issues at play.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 4

At this point, I would say no current cruise will dock there. Celebrity was supposed to dock today and rerouted before getting there. HAL was docked, but recalled all of their passengers and left. It's probably hard to say what will happen beyond the next couple of weeks. In terms of cancellation policy, I doubt anything special will be offered, as per the cruise contract ports are not guaranteed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, YlangYlangF9PB3E said:

We’re booked on the 10/15 Holy Land cruise as a b2b with the Transatlantic. We leave for Rome next Friday and am very anxious to hear what Royal has to say about cancellations.

We leave Tuesday, also for the b2b.............

1 hour ago, fenton04 said:

Last year we booked a transatlantic to Cyprus.  Then Royal changed the disembarkation to Haifa Israel.  We were offered to cancel if we so desired.  Yes we very desired that.  What was Royal thinking?

We canceled too. A port stop is very different to embarkation and disembarkation. Besides which we booked it because we wanted to go to end in Cyprus. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

We canceled too. A port stop is very different to embarkation and disembarkation. Besides which we booked it because we wanted to go to end in Cyprus. 

I won’t ever book a Holy Land trip again and I wouldn’t be surprised if Royal stops sailing there. It’s sad, because this was the highlight of this trip for us.

• Like 2

I believe they will NOT announce any changes until we are in the ship, next week…

OR

Most will cancel…..

We were on Liberty last month scheduled for Bermuda then changed to Canada due to hurricane, a week before the sail..

The ship was fully booked and sailed 1/2 full due to cancellations and Full Refunds..

• Like 2

Someone has posted on the HAL board the the ship docked in Haifa for a planned 3 day stop and they were recalled to the ship from their excursion and the ship is sailing to Cyprus and Turkey instead. Ken 

Edited by CruiseIreland
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Current Odyssey cruise:  "The captain just announced that we will not visit Israel due to the geopolitical situation. Instead we are getting to go to Bodrum in Turkey and Limassol on Cyprus."

Our cruise is already going to Limassol, I wonder where else they can take us.  They already had added Santorini, which we’ve been to and didn’t plan to get off.  Have they told you how you can book excursions to these new ports?

Edited by lovesthebeach2

36 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

For those booked on the Odyssey next week, I just noticed they removed ALL my upcoming reservations from the APP. That suggests changes coming. 

Thank you for your post on this topic. 

While my October 15 reservation has vanished from the app, it is still on the RC website. 

Will see how long it takes for the website reservation to vanish. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cruiser99365Girl said:

Thank you for your post on this topic. 

While my October 15 reservation has vanished from the app, it is still on the RC website. 

Will see how long it takes for the website reservation to vanish. 

our reservations came back a bit later. At the time all our reservations for other cruises were still there, only this cruise were they removed.  But they did show up a bit later 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

At this point, I would say no current cruise will dock there. Celebrity was supposed to dock today and rerouted before getting there. HAL was docked, but recalled all of their passengers and left. It's probably hard to say what will happen beyond the next couple of weeks. In terms of cancellation policy, I doubt anything special will be offered, as per the cruise contract ports are not guaranteed.

How does a ship recall its passengers that are in port?

We depart on Viking’s Cities of Antiquity & The Holy Land itinerary in a little over a month (Athens, Delos, Rhodes, Cyprus, Israel (3 nights), Heraklion Crete, Naples, & Rome and have been trying to figure out what Viking may substitute for Israel should those ports be canceled.  If anyone has any information, I would appreciate it. I’ve seen other cruise lines add the likes of Bodrum, Santorini, and Chania.  I’ve also seen Limassol added to other cruise lines, but guessing since we’re already scheduled for Limassol and Heraklion, that I can assume it wouldn’t be Chania or another day on Cyprus.  I doubt, but wonder if Ephesus might be in play or perhaps Malta/Sicily?  If anyone has an itinerary similar to mine and get news on what their replacement destinations are, please pass that along and thank you in advance

• Like 1