Cruise to Israel cannot go to Israel

Vesalius

We booked our cruise later this month to Israel as we have been wanting to visit Israel for a long time.  The cruise itinerary was to travel from Greece and spend 5 days in port in Israel.  Given that war broke out yesterday, Azamara emailed us and notified us that the cruise to Israel will not be going to Israel, but not to worry, they look forward to seeing us and will find somewhere for us to go, to be determined.

The purpose and plan for our trip was to visit Israel. Unfortunately, that is not going to happen. We want to cancel our cruise and hope to visit Israel in the future. We asked our travel agent to request a refund and she said she would try, but she doesn’t know what the response will be. Has anyone had experience getting a refund when this type of situation occurs? Any advice? 

It will be of no consolation to yourself, but I believe a significant change of this type would let someone booking under UK regulations, and in particular if booked with one or more other travel elements such as flights or hotel, cancel for a full cash refund within 14 days of all travel elements. 

That is at least part of the reason why we pay higher fares in the UK.

• Like 2

In the USA, if a cruise is “canceled“, then you are owed a refund. I guess it depends on how you interpret the word canceled. To me, if a cruise to Israel does not go to Israel, that is a substantially canceled cruise. but it appears that the cruise line may be saying that if you board the cruise ship, it wasn’t canceled even if it didn’t go to where it was planned to go.  For us, the primary purpose of our travels was to visit Israel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vesalius said:

In the USA, if a cruise is “canceled“, then you are owed a refund. I guess it depends on how you interpret the word canceled. To me, if a cruise to Israel does not go to Israel, that is a substantially canceled cruise. but it appears that the cruise line may be saying that if you board the cruise ship, it wasn’t canceled even if it didn’t go to where it was planned to go.  For us, the primary purpose of our travels was to visit Israel.

This has happened in the past, unfortunately often with Israel, during the nearly two decades I’ve been on Cruise Critic. 

The gist, for US customers at least, is that if the ship sails it is not considered to be a cancellation. In the terms of the contract is wording allowing the cruise line to change the itinerary at ANY point.

That said, often cruise lines have offered some sort of compensation for the change in the form of a FCC or partial refund of the current cruise. Since Covid, with lines struggling, who knows what might be forthcoming…or not.

It is a common saying here on CC’s ports of call boards that if the main reason for your cruise is a single port or destination, you’re better off taking a land tour.

I hope things work out in a satisfactory manner. Clearly in this case there is little Azamara could other than change their plans. If they canceled the entire cruise, many who have already requested time off, made plans, booked flights etc would likely be unhappy.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The same thing happened with Baltic cruises when Russian invaded Ukraine.  Most of those cruises were centered around multi-day calls on St. Petersburg [mine had 3 overnights there].  The cruises weren't cancelled, the itineraries were just changed to add other Baltic ports in place of St. Petersburg.  I had booked primarily to see St. Petersburg, but we had a great time on that cruise without it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vesalius said:

The purpose and plan for our trip was to visit Israel. Unfortunately, that is not going to happen. We want to cancel our cruise and hope to visit Israel in the future. We asked our travel agent to request a refund and she said she would try, but she doesn’t know what the response will be. Has anyone had experience getting a refund when this type of situation occurs? Any advice? 

Not a chance, read the small print! 😉

I am so very sorry that your planned destination cruise has been altered, and sincerely hope you'll be able to change without penalty.  At the same time, and please don't take this as a rebuke towards your comment because that's not the intention, I am also so very sorry for what's happening right now in Israel and the Gaza Strip.  While I, and possibly others, ponder about consequences to future travel, the reality on the ground there must be truly devastating.

Edited by Cruiser Craig
spelling
  • Like 4

We were scheduled on Azamara Journey that departs on October 17.  And yes, if we lose a lot of money, that is nothing relative to the horrors of war that exist for the citizens of Israel and Gaza.  Your comment is appreciated.

• Like 3

From Azamara by email today:

Dear Azamara Guest,

We are preparing for your cruise with Azamara Journey® on October 17, 2023, and we can't wait to welcome you onboard.

We are aware of and have been monitoring the escalating situation in Israel. Our guest safety is of the highest importance, therefore we will not be calling ports in Israel as planned. We appreciate your understanding of this change that is beyond our control.

This is an evolving situation and we appreciate your patience as our deployment team evaluates alternative ports. We are committed to preserving the Azamara experience that you expect while maintaining safety of our guest and crew.

Please be on the lookout for further information regarding the itinerary.

Should you have any questions please contact your Travel Advisor or click here for your local Azamara contact center number. 

Sincerely,

AZAMARA®

Facebook
Instagram
Twitter
Pinterest

©2023 Azamara. Ships registered in Malta.

“Change the Way You Sea” is an international service mark of SP Cruises OpCo Limite

Azamara, 3059 Grand Ave, Suite 205, Miami, Florida 33133, United States

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

This has happened in the past, unfortunately often with Israel, during the nearly two decades I’ve been on Cruise Critic. 

The gist, for US customers at least, is that if the ship sails it is not considered to be a cancellation. In the terms of the contract is wording allowing the cruise line to change the itinerary at ANY point.

That said, often cruise lines have offered some sort of compensation for the change in the form of a FCC or partial refund of the current cruise. Since Covid, with lines struggling, who knows what might be forthcoming…or not.

It is a common saying here on CC’s ports of call boards that if the main reason for your cruise is a single port or destination, you’re better off taking a land tour.

I hope things work out in a satisfactory manner. Clearly in this case there is little Azamara could other than change their plans. If they canceled the entire cruise, many who have already requested time off, made plans, booked flights etc would likely be unhappy.

Your fourth paragraph is spot on! Good to see this important point reinforced.

6 hours ago, Vesalius said:

Would they possibly give us a future cruise credit if we don’t go?

Why not suspend the speculation until you hear from your TA?

Responses here may not clarify, because there appears to be divergence in the opinions. 

Your TA should be able to confirm your options. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, blag said:

Why not suspend the speculation until you hear from your TA?

Responses here may not clarify, because there appears to be divergence in the opinions. 

Your TA should be able to confirm your options. 

Good advice, thank you.  We are hoping to hear back from out TA after they inquire with Azamara tomorrow during business hours.

In January we sailed from Auckland to Sydney but because the ship's hull didn't pass environmental concerns we lost 2 "ports". They added an extra day in 2 ports, gave each passenger $100 OBC & also a FCC. It's very disappointing when a long planned trip gets changed at the last minute but remember that when you're given lemons make lemonade. I'm sure you'll still have a great time.

• Like 2

You will probably be offered the opportunity to rebook your cruise.

I am on a December Pursuit South Africa sailing.   Azamara canceled two of six ports right after the final payment was due.  Of course, the price of the cruise dropped.  I emailed Azamara inquiring whether we would receive a refund of port fees (No).   Here is their response:

(Note:  I am not sure why it is routed to UK customer service.)

Thank you for contacting Azamara.

I hope this email finds you in good health. In our continuous commitment to enhancing the cruise experience, we have taken into consideration feedback received from the previous Africa season. Based on these valuable insights, we have decided to make some adjustments to the itinerary in order to offer a more enriching and immersive South African adventure. I am sorry for your disappointment with the itinerary change during your sailing.

We will be removing East London and Maputo from this itinerary and instead give additional time in the captivating port of Richards Bay. Although this change may alter the original plans, we firmly believe that the new direction of the itinerary will provide an even more captivating experience and unforgettable memories.

Reservations can be changed to a new ship and sail date and Azamara will waive the major change fees, cancellations are not available. 

If you would like to pursue this matter further please contact; azamaracustomerserviceuk@azamara.com
*Azamara reserves the right to change the itinerary

Many thanks,

Georgina

Edited by AnnaNicole

45 minutes ago, AnnaNicole said:

You will probably be offered the opportunity to rebook your cruise.

I am on a December Pursuit South Africa sailing.   Azamara canceled two of six ports right after the final payment was due.  Of course, the price of the cruise dropped.  I emailed Azamara inquiring whether we would receive a refund of port fees (No).   Here is their response:

(Note:  I am not sure why it is routed to UK customer service.)

Thank you for contacting Azamara.

I hope this email finds you in good health. In our continuous commitment to enhancing the cruise experience, we have taken into consideration feedback received from the previous Africa season. Based on these valuable insights, we have decided to make some adjustments to the itinerary in order to offer a more enriching and immersive South African adventure. I am sorry for your disappointment with the itinerary change during your sailing.

We will be removing East London and Maputo from this itinerary and instead give additional time in the captivating port of Richards Bay. Although this change may alter the original plans, we firmly believe that the new direction of the itinerary will provide an even more captivating experience and unforgettable memories.

Reservations can be changed to a new ship and sail date and Azamara will waive the major change fees, cancellations are not available. 

If you would like to pursue this matter further please contact; azamaracustomerserviceuk@azamara.com
*Azamara reserves the right to change the itinerary

Many thanks,

Georgina

Not sure why you got that.  We are on the same sailing, got the same notification and there is nothing about being able to change to a different itinerary.  Our TA got the same notification as us.  Not a word about ability to change.

Maybe because you were rerouted to UK CS where rules may be different?

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

Not sure why you got that.  We are on the same sailing, got the same notification and there is nothing about being able to change to a different itinerary.  Our TA got the same notification as us.  Not a word about ability to change.

That would be a UK response because significant alterations do require more offers of alternatives.  

2 hours ago, ECCruise said:

I got it because I sent an email to Azamara customer service asking if we were going to be credited port fees for the dropped ports.  I expressed disappointment at Azamara dropping two ports immediately after final payment.   My original email was not to the UK CS.  It was sent through the US website "contact us" support page.   The form asks which country you are from.   I think the UK email was an error on the response email.   I called US CS and was told I could rebook if I wanted to.   

The email came from support@azamara.com

Edited by AnnaNicole

On 10/7/2023 at 3:16 PM, Vesalius said:

There is no substantiallhy canceled cruise in the us unfortunately. 

• Like 1

We were to go to Israel April 2023 on the Pursuit on an "Israel Intensive" cruise. We found out two days before boarding the ship (we were sitting at the airport waiting to board our plane to Greece) that we were no longer going to Israel. We went to Alexandria, Egypt instead for two days and added a few stops at Greek islands. While Egypt was never on my bucket list, we did go on some AZ tours that were very interesting. The tourist security that they had for our tours was pretty incredible and maybe scary. I was impressed at how quickly AZ was able to pull together tours for us and we made the most of the change.

Even though AZ did not need to, we all did receive a small FCC. 

Praying for all in Israel.

• Like 6

Our TA has spoken with Azamara and has escalated our request to rebook to a higher level staff member with Azamara.  The TA is waiting to hear back as they were told the staff have all been "working 24/7" on their contingency plans.