Dress code on Viking River cruise

Steerpike58

Posted (edited)

GASP---------we will wear an outfit more than once on a river cruise!!!  By mixing and matching, you can 'look' different every day but re-use items that still look and 'smell' fine.

That's the beauty of 'unpack once'--you can look in the closet and put together a different look everyday without bringing too much clothing.

We also have changed for dinner to feel fresher, then wore those same clothes the next day.  A change of shoes for dinner also makes ones feet feel better.

On our recent 10 day cruise (+ 2 day extension) I had a couple of shirts laundered near the end of the cruise to have fresh shirts for the extension.  Paid 16 euros, was OK paying for that convenience.

Edited by sharkster77
  • Thanks 1

Walk wear yeah those who wear completely inappropriate footwear, maybe not kitten or any other heels but shoes with no ankle support. I’ve seen it and listened to the complaints. Of course it’s either the cruise companies fault or heaven forbid the local towns.

18 hours ago, like2cruise33 said:

DO NOT TELL THE FASHION POLICE BUT ONCE ON A TOUR THAT INCLUDED DINNER ON Mackinac Island in the Grand Hotel, I did not realize that we had 2 dinners, I wore the exact same outfit for the 2 dinners!! and I got compliments on it. As long as you are decent, and clean, it should not matter. On a different cruise, some teenagers were barred from the dining room, but a gentleman wearing a Hawaiian shirt was allowed to be seated. The girls were dressed nicely but I guess not up to the guards standard - yet Hawaiian shirts are considered dressy??

Related question as we will be staying at the Mackinac Grand Hotel soon: I’m okay with the jacket, but is a tie a must? TIA

Not sure about the answer to this, but on the related issue of walk wear: open-toe shoes are very dangerous on Mackinac Island, especially if you don't look DOWN before stepping...  🤣

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

GASP---------we will wear an outfit more than once on a river cruise!!!  By mixing and matching, you can 'look' different every day but re-use items that still look and 'smell' fine.

But surely everyone does this - we did a 14 night river cruise, surely nobody has 14 completely separate outfits.

I didnt even try to look different every day - I had a bag of laundry done twice on the trip and then re wore whatever  I had worn a few days prior, now clean and ready to wear again.

in the case of the 2 dressier gala dinners,  I wore same top, just hung up and ready to wear again - had only been in it for few hours in air conditioned dining room

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

But surely everyone does this - we did a 14 night river cruise, surely nobody has 14 completely separate outfits.

I didnt even try to look different every day - I had a bag of laundry done twice on the trip and then re wore whatever  I had worn a few days prior, now clean and ready to wear again.

in the case of the 2 dressier gala dinners,  I wore same top, just hung up and ready to wear again - had only been in it for few hours in air conditioned dining room

@Kristelle, I would certainly hope that everyone does this---OTOH, there are folks with absurdly huge amounts of luggage, like 2 checked-size bags per person, AND carry-ons.  I wonder if they are on a round-the-world trip, or just overpacked.....

Edited by sharkster77

Coming from Australia one can only bring the amount of luggage allowed on the flight - so no more than 1 suitcase and 1 carry on. 

1 hour ago, Kristelle said:

Coming from Australia one can only bring the amount of luggage allowed on the flight - so no more than 1 suitcase and 1 carry on. 

But can't you pay for an extra checked bag if you want to? You can from the US to Europe with many carriers.

I’ve heard that if you’ve got the cash you can do anything or if you have to ask you can’t afford it!

Well apart from that I have an inbuilt dislike of open toed sandals and I’m pretty sure of the reason ‘my dad’. Being a Navy man and having served in some of the hotter parts of this earth they used to wear I think they were called undress whites - white shorts, white shirt, white knee high socks and open toed sandals, my dear father carried on this tradition after leaving the navy at home in during summer much to his supposedly hip teenage daughter horror  well it was the 60’s. I loved him regardless.

11 hours ago, Kristelle said:

We were on a Nile cruise and there was a woman on this cruise that was nicknamed Cleopatra and the reason was that everyone awaited every change she made during the day including the wide brimmed hats that she always had on.  Now I would say that we saw one or two hats more than once, but never the outfit twice.

On the Egyptian night she arrived at the lounge with the most beautiful "costume" of anyone on the ship - of course.

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

I’ve heard that if you’ve got the cash you can do anything or if you have to ask you can’t afford it!

This woman apparently had the cash.  Never saw how much luggage she brought, but we were in a carpet store and she wanted to buy the $50K USD carpet but her husband refused her the opportunity.  

Coming from Scotland, one of the highlights of a holiday in a slightly warmer climate is the opportunity to wear open toed sandals. I'm really looking forward to that again on this year's river cruise. They're red with lovely flexible soles. I have another pair for evening wear! 

12 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We were on a Nile cruise and there was a woman on this cruise that was nicknamed Cleopatra and the reason was that everyone awaited every change she made during the day including the wide brimmed hats that she always had on.  Now I would say that we saw one or two hats more than once, but never the outfit twice.

On the Egyptian night she arrived at the lounge with the most beautiful "costume" of anyone on the ship - of course.

This woman apparently had the cash.  Never saw how much luggage she brought, but we were in a carpet store and she wanted to buy the $50K USD carpet but her husband refused her the opportunity.

Did her husband offer to buy her an Asp instead?  🤣

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Did her husband offer to buy her an Asp instead?  🤣

Was not privy to the whole conversation....  haha

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the Viking Sigyn on April 30. I have to admit that I was expecting different attire at dinner.  It was very casual. No shorts, T-shirts, but several men and women in jeans. Everyone looked comfortable and nice. I was pleasantly surprised. 

9 hours ago, pilot said:

Just got off the Viking Sigyn on April 30. I have to admit that I was expecting different attire at dinner.  It was very casual. No shorts, T-shirts, but several men and women in jeans. Everyone looked comfortable and nice. I was pleasantly surprised. 

IMO and my experience the river cruises are always slightly more casual.  Also depends on the time of year and the destinations involved.

Our Egypt Nile cruise was so very casual.  Many people coming back from a 35C day in the desert would go to dinner in what they were wearing during the day.

Egypt is extreme, but we did Eastern Europe in late August and the same thing.  35C and higher and the vibe was very casual.

Also, for me, the Viking River ships all under air condition the lounge and the dining room.  We were "baking" almost every night to which end, we did not often go to the lounge after dinner because we were exhausted from the heat in the dining room and could not bear the thought of extending that discomfort after dinner.

So...  I am one of those people who *always* travels with jeans...  A main stay of my wardrobe, if truth be told...    And - I re-wear clothing!!  GASP!!  My dinner wear is separate - and therefore only worn for a couple of hours each evening - so it will appear a couple of times. But, I will dress up a bit more (casual dress/skirt) in the evening and don't wear my jeans to dinner.

I really don't care what people wear to dinner - as long as they don't smell... And - if they do, I won't be sitting with them for another meal!!

Fran

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Jeans at dinner were  quite common on our trip.

Not ripped or work wear looking jeans - but neat jeans with nice top or mens

polo type shirt

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kristelle said:

Jeans at dinner were  quite common on our trip.

Not ripped or work wear looking jeans - but neat jeans with nice top or mens

polo type shirt

I would say more common on river than ocean, but not that they don't show up on ocean too.

My only beef with jeans is the ones that look like gardening jeans.  I have NO issue with full black non-faded or other dressy jeans.

53 minutes ago, like2cruise33 said:

During a cruise during/after the C-19, a women wore a cute 'Egyptian?' face mask that was blinged out. BUT she wore it everyday - how disgusting.

Why do you think it was disgusting?  If it made her feel better, what’s the problem?

I'm not sure what you mean by an "egyptian face mask"

On our trip in September last year - nobody wore masks.

However back in lockdown days when we all had  to wear masks everywhere - I had a couple of cloth ones and they were easy to hand wash and dry overnight - perhaps she did that.

Or had more than one identical mask so it wasnt really the same one every day

• Like 1