The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday October 8th, 2023

richwmn

Today is American Touch Tag Day, National Motorcycle Ride Day, and Universal Music Day

Life is a long lesson in humility. - James M. Barrie

Meal Suggestion for today - Vegetarian Peanut Miso Ramen
Drink of the Day - Blue Mule
Wine of the Day - Hayes Ranch Merlot
Destination of the Day - Split, Croatia

Today in History:
1769 Captain James Cook lands in New Zealand at Poverty Bay on the East Coast of the North Island
1945 Microwave oven patented by US inventor Percy Spencer

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Vancouver, Canada 0700-1700

Koningsdam

Astoria, Oregon 1100-1900

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Puerto Vallarta, Mexico eta 10-09

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Analya, Turkey eta 10/9

Noordam

San Diego, California 0700-1700

Oosterdam

Piraeus (Athens), Greece Overnight

Rotterdam

Zeebrugge (Bruges), Belgium 0800-1600

Volendam

Hilo, Hawaii 0800-1800

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Kushiro, Japan eta 10-12

Zaandam

At Sea Destination George Town, Grand Cayman eta 10-09

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Port Canaveral, Florida eta 10-09

1008World.thumb.png.db7c183775180180204d3533715ef385.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 16

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Rainy and cool this morning.  We've got a rainfall warning, we could get up to 50mm (2 in) of rain by tonight.  I hope not. 

I haven't played tag in years, I don't ride a motorcycle but I do like music.  I guess one out of three isn't bad.

Though provoking quote.

I'll pass on the meal, not sure about the drink but I'll probably like the wine.

I've never been to Split, but it was on a cruise we were supposed to go on that was cancelled (or postponed) because of the pandemic.  Maybe someday we'll get there.

Prayers for everyone.

• Like 24

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery, on ventilator

HAL Sailer’s DH hospitalized

StLouisCruiser’s friend Susan’s DH Scott hospitalized, post-arrest, off vent

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui, Canadian/US wildfires

Citizens of Ukraine and Israel

From the Rotation:

Lady Hudson’s DH Bill with bronchitis

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Smitty34877 grieving the loss of her DD DH Lou and caring for Tana

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage WannaSea (Sue)!

Bon Voyage Horizon Chaser 1957 (Laura)!

Welcome back Mr. Boston and Nickelpenny – safe travels home

HAL Sailer’s DH improved, with possible transfer to inpatient rehab

Smitty34877 finding a new aide

Haljo1935 nominated as a compassionate leader at work

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Ichiban Nekko (Zuiderdam to Oct 10, The Atlantic Coast),  Cruzn single (Zuiderdam to Oct 10, The Atlantic Coast), WannaSea (Eurodam to Oct 12, Pacific Coastal Cruise), Rafinmd (Crystal Serenity to Oct 13, Quebec City to NY), Live4cruises (Westerdam to Oct 28, N.Pacific crossing & Japan Collector), Lindaler (Volendam to Nov 22, Tales of the South Pacific), Kazu (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), 0106 (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), St Pete Cruiser (Rotterdam Oct 7 to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn) and Horizon Chaser 1957 (Eurodam to Oct 28, Panama Canal)

• Like 21
  • Thanks 12

Good morning friends!  Brrr, it's only 42F this morning.  The high today will only reach 68 with sunshine all day long.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Today is American Touch Tag Day, National Motorcycle Ride Day, and Universal Music Day.  I think we can all agree music is a favorite.  I won't be playing touch tag for sure today, and doubt a motorcycle comes along for a ride.🏍️  Those days are past!  I like the quote today, but will definitely pass on the vegetarian peanut miso ramen and Blue Mule cocktail.  In fact, no merlot 🍷 for me either, I prefer rose or white wine. Interesting how James Cook arrived in New Zealand in 1769.  Who would have thought microwave ovens were patented so early?  I didn't see them in most homes until the 1970's.   Thank you to the F&B ladies Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard.

I don't do my treadmill on Sundays so haven't had my prayer time yet but will get right on that.  Prayers for all on our Care list and I do hope for better days ahead for all of them.  Special prayers for DB and Susan's DH and DB, and Baby Murphy.  Of great importance will be everyone's prayers for the people of Israel after the attacks on that country and its people yesterday.  But let's not forget the people of Ukraine who have been faced with war for a long time now. Praying for peace and strength to get through the horrors perpetuated. 🙏🙏

As for the Celebration list, this just shows we should enjoy life and it's happy events as much as we can because you never know when the sad times will come.  So enjoy those cruises!  Have wonderful celebrations of birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, graduations and all other events. 🎉 Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your lists and the excellent job you've done.  I'm thankful for my children's alma maters Ohio State and Michigan's big wins yesterday.  (sorry to Lenda's DD!)  Also I hear from DS that Notre Dame's men's soccer team beat Duke's 1 to 0 last night.  They've had an enjoyable time visiting the campus and seeing their program again.  Ren has gone to soccer camps there before and likes it.  But UVA is still in the running!

The port this morning is Split, Croatia, a beautiful country.  This was our port before on Nov. 16, 2021 and Dec. 28, 2022.  I've enjoyed a visit there once on Westerdam, 2017.  Here are the links for you.

Hoping for a wonderful Sunday and Canadian Thanksgiving weekend.  Stay safe and well!  Photos coming up in next post.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich!  It is a cool 64 degrees with a bit of a breeze this morning. Last night at the beach was fun, but it was very odd that we did not see one pelican in the three hours we were there. 🤔

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. Praying your pain disappears. 

Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks, more repotting, chores and if warm enough - pool time. 

IMG_1819.jpeg.b216850d2edf060a3a038be82bd1eed6.jpeg

IMG_1821.jpeg.53b16ed56635b9bf8c5c9dc6969af4ef.jpeg

IMG_4077.jpeg.dc67ab715af96e76210f9a3a92986fc4.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @smitty34877 Terry, praying for you, Tana, your families & support team. @HAL Sailer Melisa, I was thrilled to read about your DH’s improvement. Praying that he continues to improve. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Hayes Ranch Merlot 2019

Consumers enjoy this Merlot. I used the 2019 vintage info, because it is still easy to find and is probably ready to drink. Online prices - $16.99 for the 2019 vintage, but if you are willing to wait a bit, the 2021 vintage is only $8.74

Winemaker Notes

Hayes Ranch Merlot features aromas and flavors of black cherry, blackberry and plum with a smooth mouthfeel that leads to a long, fruity finish.

This Merlot comes from select vineyards in California with warm days and cool nights. These vineyards are characterized by a long growing season which helps develop ripe and round fruit flavors. Each vineyard was harvested and fermented separately in upright stainless steel fermenters. Rack and return, which is the process of draining all of the free-run juice off the cap and then returning the free-run juice back over the top of the fermenter, was performed twice daily. This Merlot was aged for 12 months in American, French, Eastern European, and neutral oak.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 5

We visited Split on a 2017 three week Mediterranean cruise on Westerdam.   Here are my photos from then plus a few more added today.

Here's the infamous esplanade called the Riva where we crossed paths with a Michigan Wolverine (DS is a U of M graduate and faculty member).  I was wearing my Michigan T-shirt and they couldn't let me pass without yelling Go Blue!!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIF2xpy-rYIb0PzOZYyn7OI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503946156

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

A photo of Gregory of Nin, a famous bishop.  He's 28' tall but he looks so much taller due to the angle I took this photo.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJs9yIt8PAYwxLMv-CcI0Rc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503946485

Rubbing his toe is supposed to bring you good luck!

Diocletian's Palace and Peristil Square.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLXML-PRaMMdWXHPSO3Trjm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503946385

This is the Oculus, a hole in the roof of the Imperial audience hall of Diocletian's Palace.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVISW6IYwO-kWjCEmlewyUwo?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503946443

Yummy smells from this restaurant00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Leaving Split later that day.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJcXNCUy67-tm6AOgE6qbiZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503946554

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKL-KuaKy2A2r9NYtCZyn2a?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503946549

It was an awesome stop on our Mediterranean cruise.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

Blue Mule cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Pinnacle® Original Vodka
½ part DeKuyper® Blue Curacao
1 ½ parts Ginger Beer
Lime Juice

Instructions
Add the Vodka and Blue Curacao to a Moscow Mule mug or tall glass. Mix lightly with a bar spoon. Top with ginger beer and ice.

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 7.18.46 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 12

I think I resemble today’s quote!  I’m recovering from my retreat weekend. Parts were excellent and calming, reflective and refueling. But the Saturday afternoon session had me upset and crying with sudden unexpected feels bursting through. A friend, the woman leading the retreat, stepped outside with me and helped me through it.  At the closing they had gifts for me and a special blessing. I came home drained, went to bed early, soon woke up from bad dreams, got up and had a glass of wine! (Rare for me!). Processing a lot. Then slept till 6:40! Also rare these days. Time to face the day! 

Noon today a realtor is coming. She’s more than recommended by the Erickson Living folks…  if we use one of their recommended realtors we get a credit from their kickback on their commission. We’ll interview 2 of their realtors and then maybe the excellent realtor who sold us this condo, she lives here too so knows it so well. Our place is in chaos but we’re moving forward. 

Beautiful pix Sandi!  We didn’t get ti Split, only Dubrovnik where it deluged and we saw next ti nothing. And got sick. 

Blessing already sent!  Hoping everybody can have a good day. Onward! 
Maureen 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

45 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We visited Split on a 2017 three week Mediterranean cruise on Westerdam.   Here are my photos from then plus a few more added today.

Here's the infamous esplanade called the Riva where we crossed paths with a Michigan Wolverine (DS is a U of M graduate and faculty member).  I was wearing my Michigan T-shirt and they couldn't let me pass without yelling Go Blue!!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIF2xpy-rYIb0PzOZYyn7OI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503946156

A photo of Gregory of Nin, a famous bishop.  He's 28' tall but he looks so much taller due to the angle I took this photo.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJs9yIt8PAYwxLMv-CcI0Rc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503946485

Rubbing his toe is supposed to bring you good luck!

Diocletian's Palace and Peristil Square.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLXML-PRaMMdWXHPSO3Trjm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503946385

This is the Oculus, a hole in the roof of the Imperial audience hall of Diocletian's Palace.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVISW6IYwO-kWjCEmlewyUwo?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503946443

Yummy smells from this restaurant00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Leaving Split later that day.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJcXNCUy67-tm6AOgE6qbiZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503946554

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKL-KuaKy2A2r9NYtCZyn2a?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503946549

It was an awesome stop on our Mediterranean cruise.

Excellent photos of a lovely port Sandi.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. It’s twenty degrees cooler this morning. Currently 52 degrees and will rise to only 77 degrees. We were so sated from our lunch date yesterday we both skipped dinner. Not even a snack.

Other then getting ready for church in a few minutes no other immediate plans for today. With this weather may put the top down on the Spyder and go for a ride.

Thanks  for the report and featured list. Have a great day. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.be5f96f5a01a3cdcba6c930680bfcc33.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cb664e4e22ee480869fd00a06f93487d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cab88aafea472cdbead3e99a262a6f6c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1cc69b69f544532de928b0d6d5d480ef.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.083f349057ead1670b5bf7c8126a0568.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.49953d151d42e384c954b98567f557a5.jpegimage.jpeg.a6166e41ff6b9203e3583c423a6ecbf5.jpegimage.jpeg.0355730fa0e2fcfb98a6f4d2e2daf6a2.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Haha 17

Good Sunday morning to all

I am up early and realize that if I don’t check in now, it might not be until tonight.

Thank you to Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily.

The days are interesting, but the only one I think I can associate with is Music.  Have never been on a motorcycle and now is not the time to start.  Touch Tag Days are long over.  Love music and listen to it as often as I can.

I like the quote.

I have been to Split, Croatia a few times but my photos are not as nice as Sandi’s @StLouisCruisers.  I really envy how organized yours are.  Thank you for sharing them with us.

I will skip the meal and drink.  I like Merlot and may try that.

Today in History shows that we have New Zealand thanks to Captain James Cook.

I too did not realize that Microwave Ovens were around that long.

Thank you to @JazzyV Vanessa for keeping up with our cares and happenings.

Prayers always for Baby Murphy and her parents,.It would be nice to get an update.  Hopefully a positive one.

Prayers always for Tana as well and for @smitty34877 as you adjust to your new way of life.

Prayers for the people of Ukraine and Israel.  War is horrible.  Pray for peace.

Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.  Hope everyone is having a wonderful time.

Glad that those cruisers on the New Statendam were able to get out of Haifa timely.

Thank you also to Debbie @dfish for the recipes for the meal for the day. And to Dixie @summer slope for the drink receipt and @cat shepard Ann for the wine of the day.

Thank you to Graham @grapau27 for Father David’s sermon.

Today is a day to get some stuff organized for our trip.  We leave in 2 weeks from Tuesday.  I am still trying to figure what the weather will be like and what types of clothes to bring.  Right now the temps in all three cities (Venice, Florence, Rome) are still in low 80s and high 70s.  The cruise doesn’t have many port calls, but we do stop in Cadiz, Funchal and Bermuda.  Guess I need clothes for warmer weather there.  Big decisions. 

The other thing that gets me excited is that I received a notice from the Post Office that I have a package with printed matter that will come in the the next few days.  This is the pre-cruise material and luggage tags from Oceania.  it is a nice book with all the cruise info, etc.  So that should come in the next few days.

I hope that everyone has a wonderful Sunday.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Thank you all for caring and sharing. 

I have to get up in a bit to take my DMiL to her church (I went to mine yesterday). And breakfast after. 😋 So I’m glad I was awake early to start reading the FR&D. 

Prayers 🙏 for the Care List and Cheers 🎉 for the Celebration List.

• Like 23

Good morning, everyone!  

It is a chilly 39F here in mid-Michigan this morning.  The high is supposed to be 54F.   We gave in and turned on the heat last night.  No rain in the forecast unlike yesterday when it was spitting at us.  

@HAL Sailer  Melisa, that is great news about your DH.  I hope the improvement keeps on coming!

Today's meal sounds like it has interesting flavors.  I must confess, I would probably shred up a rotisserie chicken and add it to the mix.  Ahead of Thyme has a nice recipe to get us started.  https://www.aheadofthyme.com/creamy-vegetarian-peanut-miso-ramen/

vegetarianpeanutmisoramen1.thumb.jpg.f2b57bf1617f7d32faaa1bc8beac4f4d.jpg

Garnishes can be changed to fit your taste as we see in this next recipe.  https://twoplaidaprons.com/creamy-peanut-butter-miso-ramen/

vegetarianpeanutmisoramen2.thumb.jpg.81c8526a274fdc511cf0c1cbf58b31b3.jpg

This one is for those who want to step up the spice in their lives.  https://www.rabbitandwolves.com/vegan-spicy-thai-peanut-ramen/

vegetarianpeanutmisoramen4.thumb.jpg.d504ba0b3f37a4db21e012eae6eaaf52.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 11

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here

Happy Sunday!

What a shame that there are people in the world that don't follow today's quote.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 20

Good morning from a cold (for us) central Texas.  It is 50F and feels like 50F with 83% humidity and a dew point of 45F.  Our predicted high today is 79F, but it will not even reach 60F until about 10 am.  That is quite a change from the last several months.  Today I need to not only mow the yard, but trim the bushes and tidy up the iris.  Instead of heading out early, it will be mid-morning and well into the afternoon when I can get to the yard.  I can see needing warmer clothes early and then changing into shorts this afternoon.  AHHH, fall in central Texas, and soon the dreaded oak leaves will be filling our port.

Like others, I'm well past playing touch tag.  DH sold his motorcycle at least 25 years ago, and I neve rode with him.  I will celebrate music day with pleasure.

I like the quote by James M. Barrie.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine sounds nice, and the price is nice also.

We have been to Split twice.  The first time was in 2016 on Prinsendam and the second was in 2019 on Veendam.  I liked Split, but given the choice, there are a couple of other Croatian ports I"d pick first.

Two more interesting days in history, including Captain Cook's discovery of NZ.  Like many other newer inventions, I think microwave ovens were used commercially before making it into our homes.

@puppycanducruise  Melanie, I hope the rain does not cause any problems.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, I'm sorry the retreat wasn't all you expected it to be.  You will find the perfect realtor to help sell your condo

@mamaofami  Carol, I'm sorry Sam is back in the hospital.  I hope he can be discharged to rehab tomorrow.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm glad your teams won, but wish Michigan had played another team.

374581335_647884284104270_4297047005852184909_n.jpg.d8291df938b4234231f222ab6cb1d643.jpg

374585546_690676416416129_6253922419084184039_n.thumb.jpg.a8c3cad6fee01ed6ce26716d473980e5.jpg

374635560_848219649994792_7305849893636373885_n.thumb.jpg.b66ae7259eb6226835068ed11c55c22c.jpg

382109300_703287958500881_8512916762866610904_n.thumb.jpg.5e1691e67b3da586413d6c64a8d72643.jpg

384375182_10223995424213436_3279780281351148992_n.thumb.jpg.1c6610ab5369727f46a5f7405d879773.jpg

387112800_806726914789578_4642409370359383915_n.jpg.d4888ae5bc2be64fbc3e9b20f7990ff5.jpg

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just got through yesterday’s Daily. Such good news from Melisa ( @HAL Sailer I think). So relieved that her DH is improving. Praying it continues. 

Such sad news about Israel and Palestine and troubles for the  cruisers caught up in it, especially the medical disembark there. Trusting they’ll be well cared for and can return home soon. 
m—

• Like 16