Food allergies and Luminae

screwsmcernst

We will be sailing in a suite in May 2024.  I have celiac disease, and I would like to know if there is a kitchen specific for Luminae and specialty restaurants.  If that is the case, is there an area in the kitchen for allergy-specific prep to avoid cross-contamination?

I am allergic to shellfish & crustacea and I let the shoreside concierge know prior to boarding Eclipse in December 2022.

We went to Luminae for lunch after boarding and found the Maitre d' and our waiter for the whole of the cruise to be fully informed as we met.

I was very well catered for throughout, pre-ordering lunch and dinner the day before and am hoping for the same in a couple of weeks on Solstice.

I cannot comment on prep areas in the kitchen, nor can I comment on the Edge.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, screwsmcernst said:

We will be sailing in a suite in May 2024.  I have celiac disease, and I would like to know if there is a kitchen specific for Luminae and specialty restaurants.  If that is the case, is there an area in the kitchen for allergy-specific prep to avoid cross-contamination?

Yes Luminae has both a separate kitchen and a specific area for allergy food prep.  You can advise advise in advance and/or let the Maitre'd know.   On the first evening you waiter will also ask if you have any food allergies.

• Like 4

I don't know the specific answer to where the food is prepared, but I've sailed in a suite on the Edge twice in the last year with a fully gluten free menu. I was told upfront at each meal what I could eat off the menu, and on some days I was offered food not on the menu based on my likings. 

• Like 2

In my personal experience, the staff at Luminae is capable of addressing food allergies and dietary restrictions. My spouse is vegan, and a conversation with the chef on the first day of the cruise ensures that my spouse's needs are addressed for the remainder of the cruise. Enjoy your cruise and have a wonderful experience!

• Like 1

I've taken a number tours of both Luminae as well as MDR kitchens and Specialty Murano Kitchen and they definitely have a segregated area for Allergy Food Preparation.   The Head Chef explained how cautious they are in the area to prevent cross contamination.  

• Like 5

I am anaphylactic to a food…even the airborne enzyme it emits.  We are either in Luminae or Aqua in Blu, and have always been looked after.    if you booked online,there  is a form to notify the cruise line of allergies. I also suggest you call and speak to a rep   And then, when onboard, speak to the Maitre D.   Yes. seems like a lot  but you need to be your own advocate 

I made an index card up with my allergy, laminated it and hand it to the Maitre D.  I also put name and cabin on the card (removable).    you could do same saying Celiac.    I m given the next days menu ahead of time so kitchen can prepare.   

Have fun.  enjoy your cruise

• Like 3

6 hours ago, screwsmcernst said:

Luminae on Edge is a completely separate kitchen from all others. Not sure what they do about cross contamination but others seem to have been accommodated as well so you should be OK. Talk to shoreside concierge about a month before cruising and let them know.

Edited by neverlaysup

I was in the Retreat on the Edge in September and I have Celiac disease. Dining in the Luminae was a breeze 👌 We also dined one evening in the Rooftop Garden Grill, no issues. Make sure to let them know with a notice in your booking. The menus are allergy marked, and there are always several dishes that are gluten free. They can also make other dishes gluten free for you, and their gluten free bread and toast is very good. Ocean View Café is also excellent, everything is clearly allergy marked. 

20230912_132007.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 8:04 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I've taken a number tours of both Luminae as well as MDR kitchens and Specialty Murano Kitchen and they definitely have a segregated area for Allergy Food Preparation.   The Head Chef explained how cautious they are in the area to prevent cross contamination.  

I have been on quite a few X cruises and have also taken the galley tours.  X  is our favorite for allergy safety.   Sadly, my celiac reactions have worsened, and I had to be hospitalized  due to  being  cross contaminated 5 out of  9 days on our last vacation.  Land trip not a cruise.   =(

On 10/8/2023 at 5:21 PM, Baynanno1 said:

I am allergic to shellfish & crustacea and I let the shoreside concierge know prior to boarding Eclipse in December 2022.

We went to Luminae for lunch after boarding and found the Maitre d' and our waiter for the whole of the cruise to be fully informed as we met.

I was very well catered for throughout, pre-ordering lunch and dinner the day before and am hoping for the same in a couple of weeks on Solstice.

I cannot comment on prep areas in the kitchen, nor can I comment on the Edge.

I'm so glad procedures are the same for MDR and Luminae.  I figured they would be, but it's nice to be reassured.  😃

23 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

I am anaphylactic to a food…even the airborne enzyme it emits.  We are either in Luminae or Aqua in Blu, and have always been looked after.    if you booked online,there  is a form to notify the cruise line of allergies. I also suggest you call and speak to a rep   And then, when onboard, speak to the Maitre D.   Yes. seems like a lot  but you need to be your own advocate 

I made an index card up with my allergy, laminated it and hand it to the Maitre D.  I also put name and cabin on the card (removable).    you could do same saying Celiac.    I m given the next days menu ahead of time so kitchen can prepare.   

Have fun.  enjoy your cruise

Our TA always adds my food allergy information to all our bookings.  I also follow up with The Maitre D as well.  I love the index card idea.  I just wasn't sure if Luminae procedures were different.  I'm so glad it isn't.

Thanks everyone for relieving some of my stress.  I really appreciate it.  😃

Edited by screwsmcernst
  • Like 3

Something you also might notice is that Luminae staff rotate shifts at the OVC on port days.  So, you may very well encounter some familiar faces at the OVC.  That's not to be a substitute for speaking to the head chef or following your protocol, but it may be helpful to know.  We were even told the evening before one port day who may see if we went to the OVC (they know I'm advance) when we were discussing the next days plans. (I think we also asked if they knew the theme for the OVC lunch, which I dont recall being noted in the app).    

For example the maitre d assistant / host may play a quasi host role at the OVC pointing guests in the direction of something they may be looking for, keeping track of where items need to to be refilled, etc.  On our visit, the host kindly pointes us to the fresh guacamole station and another station that had something we saw on someone's plate.  Sharing this because they will very likely know you from dinner and sea day lunch service plus the allergy, and be able to be a facilitator with the kitchen. 

We also saw the head Luminae waiter everywhere (they will often lead the Dinner on the Edge), and may help address the special requests that take them out of the dining room. 

Also, the Eden wait staff work Eden Cafe, and the Rooftop Grill team rotate, but on our cruise our waiter was also the supervisor for Mast Grill.  So, he helped us out there when we needed a cone refill, and he probably would have helped in other ways connected to the role had we needed anything. 

I have an unverified allergy or intolerance to soy (it's in too many things, including a lot of cooking spray, though oil will often not qualify due to how it's refined, though one plus of some of the non US purchasing is some items don't have it due to their country of origin). 

So, the Eden waiter knew that (and they adapted), and remembered when I came through Eden Cafe, Luminae handled it, and etc.  Not as serious as your situation or most others and I am not so cautious as to 100% avoid all potential exposure, yet still very appreciated. 

For all my concerns about cutbacks, it's the crew being cross trained, having a memory, and working multiple roles, plus that the ship isn't so big that if you need something or have flagged it/ introduce yourself, etc, plus the iPad customer software, has helped create a level of responsiveness that has made a difference.  I wouldn't let my guard down given the need, but they can definitely help.

I'm not familiar with the procedure you'd follow in terms of bringing food from home, but it's snack items that generally can be challenging regardless of food allergies.  So things like a preferred cracker, snack bar, candy, etc.  Stuff that if they had the brand you use, you'd be fine, but if they don't you're out of luck. 

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. 

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 2

I’m gluten free but not coeliac and have always been well catered for including in the OVC. I’ve eaten in most of the specialty restaurants and Blu and Luminae.

Everyone has always been great and often I preorder the night before. I’ve also had gluten free lobster Thermidor in Luminae which was a pre order. 

• Like 1

I believe if you are in a suite;  you should receive an email prior to arrival; where they ask about likes and dislikes.  You can mention you food allergies then;  this email goes to the concierge and butler

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

I believe if you are in a suite;  you should receive an email prior to arrival; where they ask about likes and dislikes.  You can mention you food allergies then;  this email goes to the concierge and butler

This was my experience, and our waiter mentioned it when we first sat down at the embarkation lunch.  That, combined with the rest of the way they handle food allergies and preferences, was definitely a plus in past cruises.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2023 at 9:35 PM, Cap_D said:

I'm not familiar with the procedure you'd follow in terms of bringing food from home, but it's snack items that generally can be challenging regardless of food allergies.  So things like a preferred cracker, snack bar, candy, etc.  Stuff that if they had the brand you use, you'd be fine, but if they don't you're out of luck. 

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. 

Yes.  Snacks are very difficult for me on any cruise ships and airplanes.  I always bring some g.f. crackers, cookies, and snack bars with me to keep in my cabin.

• Like 1