What ship would you recommend for a couple who are "pool people"?

kaz828

6 minutes ago, kaz828 said:

We like pool time, looking for a nice pool. not too crowded (well as good as you can get for a cruise), what ship would you pick?

We are open to RCCL, NCL, MSC and Celebrity 

Royal Caribbean's Oasis Class ships have the most pools I have seen.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

...along with Quantum class.  Whichever RCCL ship class you choose, the Solarium is adults (16+) only.  Quantum class IMO has one of the nicer Solariums.

FYI, Royal recently changed to 18+ for the Solarium 

Depends what you mean by pool people. Are you looking to swim? Do you expect a large pool to yourself? If you want either of those, cruising might not deliver on that. Pools are generally smaller and crowded on ships, especially when compared to land resorts. The biggest ships have the most pool options though.

16 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

...along with Quantum class.  Whichever RCCL ship class you choose, the Solarium is adults (16+) only.  Quantum class IMO has one of the nicer Solariums.

9 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Definitely Royal Caribbean and like the others said, Icon, Oasis and Quantum classes. 

Kind of a catch-22.  Those big ships with the best pool options are also likely to be the most crowded pool options.   

24 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Kind of a catch-22.  Those big ships with the best pool options are also likely to be the most crowded pool options.   

Not in my experience.  No idea about Icon yet, but in 8 combined Oasis and Quantum Class cruises, I have never found the pools overly crowded, not even on sea days.  

But that certainly is true about other big ships.  The absolute worst crowding situation I've ever seen on a cruise ship was on Norwegian Escape.  It's why I would never recommend Breakaway+ ships for pool people.  

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Not in my experience.  No idea about Icon yet, but in 8 combined Oasis and Quantum Class cruises, I have never found the pools overly crowded, not even on sea days.  

But that certainly is true about other big ships.  The absolute worst crowding situation I've ever seen on a cruise ship was on Norwegian Escape.  It's why I would never recommend Breakaway+ ships for pool people.  

I bow to your experience as I've been on the Oasis exactly once.  I was also on Allure but that was right at the start of the pandemic and passenger count was pretty low.     

11 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I bow to your experience as I've been on the Oasis exactly once.  I was also on Allure but that was right at the start of the pandemic and passenger count was pretty low.     

My experience is similar to that of Aquahound.  In particular with Quantum class ships which, in part to their Solarium split level pool designs, large deck chair areas, and good sized accompanying hot tubs, have always provided ample available space on sea days.

In addition, Quantum also offers two additional large pool areas - one indoor and one outdoor - which balances the load well.  Oasis class has four pools in addition to the Solarium pools.  (Except on Harmony, which oddly does not have a pool in the Solarium).

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 7:24 AM, Joebucks said:

Depends what you mean by pool people. Are you looking to swim? Do you expect a large pool to yourself? If you want either of those, cruising might not deliver on that. Pools are generally smaller and crowded on ships, especially when compared to land resorts. The biggest ships have the most pool options though.

I was going to ask something similar:  What type of pool experience do you want?  Do you want a party-type pool with music and an exciting vibe?  Or do you want a quiet, relaxing spot where you can read?  

4 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I was going to ask something similar:  What type of pool experience do you want?  Do you want a party-type pool with music and an exciting vibe?  Or do you want a quiet, relaxing spot where you can read?  

Good questions but I wonder why would a pool side chair might be of value to someone who wants to sit and read.  There are tons of chairs in quiet places other than next to a pool.  Don't get me wrong, if that is what someone wants they should go for it.  I just wonder why.  

52 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Good questions but I wonder why would a pool side chair might be of value to someone who wants to sit and read.  There are tons of chairs in quiet places other than next to a pool.  Don't get me wrong, if that is what someone wants they should go for it.  I just wonder why.  

It's a pleasant place, drinks are available nearby, and you can take a dip when you please.  

• Like 1