day before boarding in San Francisco

Debkm22

The Queen Anne Hotel is our favorite place to stay in San Francisco. I love historic hotels and it has a great history and maybe even a friendly ghost or two. It is a great location to use a point for navigating the city. As far as suggestions of things to do, I would highly recommend a visit to Alcatraz, and of course spending time at Fisherman's Wharf and enjoying some seafood and chowder and Ghirardelli chocolate. There are some cool tours - one really good one is the Love Tour in their hippie bus. You can see the sights and gain some added appreciation for San Francisco's counterculture history. Plus it's just fun to tool around in a bright VW bus. Take some time to walk through Chinatown as well - it's quite nearby the Queen Anne hotel if you stay there. If you enjoy theatre, be sure to check out what is playing at the Orpheum while you are in town. And of course, no visit to San Francisco would be complete without a ride on a cable car. 

• Thanks 1

I would stay near Pier 39/Fisherman's Warf. These are on the Embarcadero. There are a number of hotels nearby. When we were there a few days before a cruise we took a few of the walking tours run by the S.F. City Guides. They are no charge, but they do ask for a donation at the end. They were very good. You just show up at the meeting point.

https://sfcityguides.org/

• Thanks 1

Check out Japan Town & I personally recommend Hinodeya Japantown for creamy vegan ramen (S has it with added shrimp) or Cinderella Bakery & Cafe for typical Russian food. Better food than Fishermans Wharf

• Thanks 1

Depending on what generation you are, Haight-Ashbury for nostalgia. 

Fisherman's Wharf (and Boudin's Bread), the Buena Vista for lunch, Ghiridelli's Sq (I am not looking up the spelling).  Lots of things to see and do in this area, far too much for one day!  Alcatraz?  Ferry to Sausalito for lunch? 

• Thanks 1

I've lived here since 1967 so here are some of my suggestions. 

Yes staying in the Wharf area is a great idea. It’s close to many things shops & restaurants. 

Plan on several days so you’re not rushed to see everything. Make sure you get a MUNI pass so you can get on & off MUNI easily. 

We have a great Street Car MUNI system, the F Line, with historic cars from all over the world & from Fisherman’s Wharf it’s easy to get around plus there is stop right at pier 35, our cruise terminal. Go to pier 39, lots of shops & restaurants, & some restaurants give a discount for any veteran & their party.  Take the F line to the end of the line, our Castro District. Have a drink at the Twin Peaks bar that’s at the end of the line. Plenty of restaurants & shops there. 

We have a great underground MUNI Metro system from the Castro station that will take you back to downtown. 

if you plan to visit Alcatraz make plans early for your tickets as the space can sell out early. 

Visit our Westfield Mall at Powell & Market street with many shops & a large food court at the lower level. 

Don’t forget a trip on our Cable Cars. Don’t stand in the long line at Powell & Market but go up 2 blocks to O’Farrell Street & avoid the long lines. If you’re interested in how our Cable Car System works get off & see our Cable Car Barn where you will see the cables going in & out to the street with an excellent video of how everything works. Stop at our China Town, the largest in the US. An easy walk from the Cable Car Line. The Hyde cable car line that runs near China Town, will take to  Girardelli Square, our old Chocolate Factory . Have an Irish coffee or hot chocolate or brunch at the Buena Vista Café, at the end of the line, where more Irish coffee/Hot Chocolate is served than anywhere in the US. You’re also near the Wharf area. 

We also have a nice Japan Town with many shops & restaurants & easy to get there on our MUNI system. 

I arrive around 9:30 am at the Pier 35 Cruise terminal, very short line at that time, & about 10 am they let us into the terminal & boarding is around 11-11:30. It’s great to avoid long lines & to be one of the 1st to board the ship. 

Any other questions please ask. 

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Suggestions for transportation from SFO to the Fisherman’s Wharf? Our first time to SF. Thank you for all the wonderful recommendations. We appreciate the time you spent to include the much needed details. 😊

1 hour ago, trbarton said:

Visit our Westfield Mall at Powell & Market street with many shops & a large food court at the lower level. 

I was there Sunday and half the spaces were vacant. So sad. Even the food court was affected

Just needed to get A17 dressy pants & button down shirt for homecoming, thankfully Urban Outfitters & Macy's is just up Powell St. But I suggest tourists skip Westfield 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Debkm22 said:

Suggestions for transportation from SFO to the Fisherman’s Wharf? Our first time to SF. Thank you for all the wonderful recommendations. We appreciate the time you spent to include the much needed details. 😊

We have an excellent BART system from SFO & if you can manage your luggage take it into the city & get off at the Embarcadero station & from there you can get a taxi. The other option that I have used is either Uber/Lyft to fisherman’s wharf. 

Tom😀

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 10:29 PM, trbarton said:

We have an excellent BART system from SFO & if you can manage your luggage take it into the city & get off at the Embarcadero station & from there you can get a taxi. The other option that I have used is either Uber/Lyft to fisherman’s wharf. 

Tom😀

After many years of taking BART, I no longer do so due to lack of safety/cleanliness on board.  Very sad.

I would use Uber/Taxi from SFO to the Embarcadero.  About $60

~Nancy

On 10/11/2023 at 3:26 PM, Debkm22 said:

My husband and I are flying into SFA a day early.  Any recommendations on what to do or where to stay???  TYIA

do take advantage of the Hop On Hop Off Bus.   Much easier way to see the sites of SF than walking or driving around.  It's about a 2 hour loop if you don't get off. 

On 10/11/2023 at 3:26 PM, Debkm22 said:

My husband and I are flying into SFA a day early.  Any recommendations on what to do or where to stay???  TYIA

What to do depends on what you enjoy and maybe what time of year.

Fisherman's Wharf is fine for a one night stay. It would not be my rec for a longer stay.

Take an Uber from the airport.