Casual Dining - Plus Package

Tedferg

So casual dining does work like a cover charge. We had one Pizza and said we were going to share. Waiter seemed to understand we were having just one, brought one Salad, one Pizza and said we had a Tiramisu yet to come. We skipped dessert, the Pizza is more than we can eat. Strangely, two servers said, 'Be careful to order the Fixed Price, if you order a la carte you will be charged'

so to get 'full value' we should have ordered two Fixed Price! What a waste!

21 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

So casual dining does work like a cover charge. We had one Pizza and said we were going to share. Waiter seemed to understand we were having just one, brought one Salad, one Pizza and said we had a Tiramisu yet to come. We skipped dessert, the Pizza is more than we can eat. Strangely, two servers said, 'Be careful to order the Fixed Price, if you order a la carte you will be charged'

so to get 'full value' we should have ordered two Fixed Price! What a waste!

You did have the prix fixe menu at Gigi's/Alfredos

There, it's one appetizer, one main (pizza or pasta) and one dessert.  

Should have only been one dining credit if you shared, and they understood that, and allowed it... 

Agree, I suspected it would be a two person charge once they entered our cabin number. When we first signed up for Plus onboard, the person said, 'Be sure to order the Fixed Price, or you will be charged' the server in the Sushi bar said the same thing. 

Guest Snaxmuppet

Not yet been on a cruise with the new arrangements but the way I understand it is that you can order a-la-carte and you will be charged and you can do that as many times as you like. Or you can order Fixed Price which, as the name suggests, you pay a fixed price of $14.99 for appetizer, main and dessert and you can do that as many times as you like. However, if you have PLUS then the first 2 fixed price meals are inclusive, if you have Premier then all fixed price meals are included.

So I tend to agree with you, I suspect that officially, as there is no sharing allowed with the packages, that your visit sharing one meal, should have been charged as one of your included fixed price meals... each... as there is no sharing! However, personally, I think that is rather harsh and so I would like to think that it would just be charged to one of you. 

3 hours ago, canadarocks said:

Does your account say that you've used one Fixed Price meal each, or was just one of you "charged"?

The account does not say anything, Folio Packages in the App shows if you have redeemed a Special Dessert and shows how many of 15 drinks you have redeemed, but Casual Dining is not recorded. Guest Services cannot bring it up either. I don’t want to harp on this, it is not such a big deal, but since we struggle to finish one pizza we were curious as to how it would work. 

3 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Not yet been on a cruise with the new arrangements but the way I understand it is that you can order a-la-carte and you will be charged and you can do that as many times as you like. Or you can order Fixed Price which, as the name suggests, you pay a fixed price of $14.99 for appetizer, main and dessert and you can do that as many times as you like. However, if you have PLUS then the first 2 fixed price meals are inclusive, if you have Premier then all fixed price meals are included.

So I tend to agree with you, I suspect that officially, as there is no sharing allowed with the packages, that your visit sharing one meal, should have been charged as one of your included fixed price meals... each... as there is no sharing! However, personally, I think that is rather harsh and so I would like to think that it would just be charged to one of you. 

You are correct, but the kicker is, apparently, if you have the package BUT order a la carte, you will be charged. 

Guest Snaxmuppet
30 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

You are correct, but the kicker is, apparently, if you have the package BUT order a la carte, you will be charged. 

I don't fully understand... sorry 🙂

Do you mean that regardless of whether you have the package you will be charged... even if you tell them up front you have a package? Surely that is not the case???

6 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I don't fully understand... sorry 🙂

Do you mean that regardless of whether you have the package you will be charged... even if you tell them up front you have a package? Surely that is not the case???

My interpretation of Tedferg's comment is if you have the package and order the Fixed Price (salad, pizza, and dessert) there is no charge. But if you order a la carte, say, just the pizza, you would be charged.

11 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

We were able to share a charcuterie plate in Vines twice and have salty Dog dinners on our current cruise 

• Like 3

We went on a cruise on the first cruise out on the Ruby after the changes were implemented.  We had the old $50 package and it really wasn’t worth it for us to pay $200 to upgrade to the new plus package, especially since there was no Alfredo’s or GiGis onboard.  

Aside from that, we just paid the $14.99 once to activate the room service and paid extra for any nicer wines we wanted.  It worked out to be much cheaper for us in the long run to hang onto the old package pricing.  

We did ask over at the GastroPub how it worked if two people wanted to share one price fixed meal, because honestly, that’s quite enough food for us in the evening.  They said the price fixed meals could not be shared.  But, keep in mind, this was day one.  
We just cruised on the Royal shortly afterwards and they had no problem with the $60 per day plus package.  They had no issue in how we ordered while at Alfredo’s.  We both wanted soup and salad and split one pizza (actually had to take half of it back to the room with us and it was perfect the next morning for breakfast).  There were no additional charges.  After that we cruised on the Majestic with the premier package.  We asked them how it worked in terms of charging .. they said it would probably be all ironed out in a month or two.  But, we could pretty much order whatever we wanted while having the premier package .. they knew us well.  Contrary to what others have reported, the pizzeria was busy on both the Royal and the Majestic.  The GastroPub on the Ruby was also busy, actually busier than before this change.

we still got a seat so it was nice not having to wait in line but, they still had plenty of business to justify their decision.  

We met some others and they were told the sushi wasn’t included in their premier package but I can see on the Princess site that it is most definitely included.  So, not sure what the deal was there but they ended up not getting charged for it.  
I think each ship is working out the kinks.  Hopefully, it will be all settled quickly and there will be an across the fleet policy.  

And, at Vines, I was able to just get the crudities and a plate of cheese.  That was nice as I don’t eat the charcuterie meats.  Again, I think this menu item is meant to be shared .. although we had the premier packages, I think only was order would have been charged.  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

My interpretation of Tedferg's comment is if you have the package and order the Fixed Price (salad, pizza, and dessert) there is no charge. But if you order a la carte, say, just the pizza, you would be charged.

That is my interpretation. When we signed up for Plus and when I asked about Menu options at Sushi bar, both attendants specifically said that. 

when entering Alfredo's they ask cabin number and log you in. We told server we just wanted one pizza between us, he was a bit confused and explained he could make a pizza, half one topping and half another topping. He nodded and said, 'Share one pizza, of course' Surprisingly he brought one salad to share and after pizza he said we had one tiramisu to share. 

i checked Alfredo's last night and they said we both had used one meal. After some discussion he thought for a moment and said, 'It is like a cover charge'

I think the charge for a la carte might be their way of not using two visits for one shared meal. Makes odd sense. 

• Like 1

This  needs to be ironed out.

It sounds like this is more than a 'how to order' issue.

If they are going to double charge a couple's account for sharing a pizza, that is a problem.

'SHARING' should apply to somebody who has paid for a package, of any kind, sharing to provide for another guest who has NOT purchased a package.

If this is two people in the same cabin, with the same package, to DOUBLE CHARGE the PLUS account is kind of ridiculous.

Would Princess actually prefer that guests order TWO full meals that they will not be able to eat, and then they have lost revenue because they have blatant waste?

I would venture to say that MANY couples share that pizza.

You have paid for that package.

You are NOT sharing to provide for somebody who has not paid for a package.

Has Princess gone nuts, completely OVERBOARD with this nickle and dime strategy, to the point that even those who have paid for packages are being 'overcharged'.

16 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Agree, I suspected it would be a two person charge once they entered our cabin number. When we first signed up for Plus onboard, the person said, 'Be sure to order the Fixed Price, or you will be charged' the server in the Sushi bar said the same thing. 

All they meant was that you would be charged $ for ordering a la carte versus the Prix Fixe option.  As to how it works, that has been well-hashed out here on other threads (there is a "prime" one for the new CD rules and talking about Alfredo's in particular).  I have read ONE post where the forum member indicated the restaurant was going to allow them to share a single prix fixe order and only charge them ONE CD credit to the Plus plan.  Technically, there is no sharing a Prix Fixe option without incurring an extra charge.  It gets into gray areas real quick.  I presume you saw all the original posting and discussion since you are a regular.  Personally, I don't see why one person cannot order a Prix Fixe and the other order one A La Carte item and pay for it and then no problem.  Should a couple choose to do that.  It could be that a couple doesn't want to try and visit Alfredo's - or other CD locations - 4X per voyage in order to try and maximize the benefit.  I can see a couple wanting to try that on a longer voyage because PCL Is very stingy and only gives TWO credits no matter how long the voyage is.

Truth is, we just don't have very many live reports of Plus couples going to Alfredo's and testing the limits of the benefit.  Most reports I have read just mention how deserted the place is compared to before.

Edited by Steelers36

8 minutes ago, Wandawithdogs said:

We had a charcuterie board at vines and it counted as two and had meal at salty dogs that counted as two. We checked with customer service and they confirmed we had used 2 each.

Good to know.  I think with e packages, it’s a flat out cover charge, which is what we were told on the Ruby at the Salty Dog.  
We usually just upgrade to the premier package and so wasn’t sure how it is really done and now glad to know.  As of the moment, I think it might be dependent on which ship you are on.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Of course.  All the CD locations cost the guest if ordering A La Carte.  If guest doesn't want all the food, they may as well burn their CD credits and just tell the waiter not to bring something they don't want to eat.  THAT should never result in a charge.

Edited by Steelers36

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We went on a cruise on the first cruise out on the Ruby after the changes were implemented.  We had the old $50 package and it really wasn’t worth it for us to pay $200 to upgrade to the new plus package, especially since there was no Alfredo’s or GiGis onboard.  

Aside from that, we just paid the $14.99 once to activate the room service and paid extra for any nicer wines we wanted.  It worked out to be much cheaper for us in the long run to hang onto the old package pricing.  

We did ask over at the GastroPub how it worked if two people wanted to share one price fixed meal, because honestly, that’s quite enough food for us in the evening.  They said the price fixed meals could not be shared.  But, keep in mind, this was day one.  
We just cruised on the Royal shortly afterwards and they had no problem with the $60 per day plus package.  They had no issue in how we ordered while at Alfredo’s.  We both wanted soup and salad and split one pizza (actually had to take half of it back to the room with us and it was perfect the next morning for breakfast).  There were no additional charges.  After that we cruised on the Majestic with the premier package.  We asked them how it worked in terms of charging .. they said it would probably be all ironed out in a month or two.  But, we could pretty much order whatever we wanted while having the premier package .. they knew us well.  Contrary to what others have reported, the pizzeria was busy on both the Royal and the Majestic.  The GastroPub on the Ruby was also busy, actually busier than before this change.

we still got a seat so it was nice not having to wait in line but, they still had plenty of business to justify their decision.  

We met some others and they were told the sushi wasn’t included in their premier package but I can see on the Princess site that it is most definitely included.  So, not sure what the deal was there but they ended up not getting charged for it.  
I think each ship is working out the kinks.  Hopefully, it will be all settled quickly and there will be an across the fleet policy.  

And, at Vines, I was able to just get the crudities and a plate of cheese.  That was nice as I don’t eat the charcuterie meats.  Again, I think this menu item is meant to be shared .. although we had the premier packages, I think only was order would have been charged.  

With respect, the rules mean nothing to a guest on Premier package.  Because CD is unlimited so it doesn't matter what you order up to the full Prix Fixe meal.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

They had no issue in how we ordered while at Alfredo’s.  We both wanted soup and salad and split one pizza (actually had to take half of it back to the room with us and it was perfect the next morning for breakfast).  There were no additional charges.

What does "no additional charges" mean?  Were you charged ONE Prix Fixe cover or TWO?  Were you charged say, ONE Prix Fixe charge plus ONE item a la carte (the extra soup/salad).  Not sure what you are telling us.  They may have considered two Apps = one App + one Dessert, so it was a sub.

8 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Good to know.  I think with e packages, it’s a flat out cover charge, which is what we were told on the Ruby at the Salty Dog.  
We usually just upgrade to the premier package and so wasn’t sure how it is really done and now glad to know.  As of the moment, I think it might be dependent on which ship you are on.  

We are currently on the Crown and have the Plus package.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

This  needs to be ironed out.

It sounds like this is more than a 'how to order' issue.

If they are going to double charge a couple's account for sharing a pizza, that is a problem.

'SHARING' should apply to somebody who has paid for a package, of any kind, sharing to provide for another guest who has NOT purchased a package.

If this is two people in the same cabin, with the same package, to DOUBLE CHARGE the PLUS account is kind of ridiculous.

Would Princess actually prefer that guests order TWO full meals that they will not be able to eat, and then they have lost revenue because they have blatant waste?

I would venture to say that MANY couples share that pizza.

You have paid for that package.

You are NOT sharing to provide for somebody who has not paid for a package.

Has Princess gone nuts, completely OVERBOARD with this nickle and dime strategy, to the point that even those who have paid for packages are being 'overcharged'.

Sharing a Prix Fixe between a couple on PLUS is like getting four CD visits instead of two.  This may be why they would want to curtail sharing of the benefit.  It gets gray if guest 1 orders Prix Fixe and guest two orders an App or Dessert, paying a la carte.  In this case, I think sharing should be allowed. 

Yes, it seems nickel and diming, but if eligible guests all double their visits, it makes it hard for other guests to get in - potentially.  I see it from Princess side.  I think if they varied the number of visits by cruise length, you'd have less folks looking to beat the system.

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

With respect, the rules mean nothing to a guest on Premier package.  Because CD is unlimited so it doesn't matter what you order up to the full Prix Fixe meal.  

I certainly think that is the consensus.  But we had friends that asked about changing up their order for sushi and were told there would be a charge, even though they had they also premier packages.  So, there’s still a learning curve onboard.  

And, the only reason I asked about this at Alfredo’s is due to the interest here on these boards for those with the Plus package.  But, the restaurant manager is the one that had to answer that for us …  the waiter didn’t know.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I certainly think that is the consensus.  But we had friends that asked about changing up their order for sushi and were told there would be a charge, even though they had they also premier packages.  So, there’s still a learning curve onboard.  

And, the only reason I asked about this at Alfredo’s is due to the interest here on these boards for those with the Plus package.  But, the restaurant manager is the one that had to answer that for us …  the waiter didn’t know.  

I am not sure what the order change for sushi means, but I would say any guest - including Premier - who orders beyond what is allowed in the Prix Fixe selections (type and quantity), then they would have an extra A La Carte charge for the additional item(s).  IMO, it should never result in the entire order being charged A La Carte.  A Premier could avoid the extra charge - IMO - if they dined and left and then lined up again to come back in for a second go.  Afterall, they have UNLIMITED access and nothing the rules indicates a max count per day AFAIK.

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

What does "no additional charges" mean?  Were you charged ONE Prix Fixe cover or TWO?  Were you charged say, ONE Prix Fixe charge plus ONE item a la carte (the extra soup/salad).  Not sure what you are telling us.  They may have considered two Apps = one App + one Dessert, so it was a sub.

As explained, we ordered two apps each and split a pizza.  
We weren’t charged for the extra app .. we declined dessert as we couldn’t even finish what we had ordered.  No worries, I hate wasting food so we took the extra half a pizza to our room to finish it in the morning.  
Now, the price fixed menu states we can each order one starter, while we each had 2.  
Maybe it was just the restaurant manager that was there but he knew us well by the time we disembarked so towards the end of the cruise, they didn’t even have to ask for our cabin number,  anyway, just trying to find out how it all works.  BTW, we never went to the MDR for dinner once so, we were trying to figure out how it all worked so we could report back.