No more Viking Air?

Ceegeefl

Yesterday we booked the Viking Homelands cruise for next year. When we said we wanted to add Viking Air the agent stated that Viking no longer offers it except in special circumstances such as groups flying together. Instead, we will see a list of available  flights about 3 months before embarkation on MVJ to choose from. Has anyone else encountered this?  Were you happy with the flights offered?  Thanks!

Your rep told you wrong.   Just added my Viking Air yesterday for my Aussie/NZ Venus/Orion trip in early January 2025 through March 2025.  Arriving Sydney...leaving out of Auckland NZ.   

I would call back and talk to a different rep.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

Hmmm...this sounds like Viking is eliminating Viking Air Plus (where you pay an additional fee and are able to work with an agent to get the flights you want before 90 days) not Viking Air.  Being able to see a list of what is available 3 months out and choosing from that list is nice IF you want to wait that long.  Sounds like Air Plus will be limited to friends/family traveling together who want to be on the same flights.  Last time we booked a Viking cruise was last May and Viking Air, Air Plus and Deviation were still offered.  

I'm sorry. You are correct TayanaLorna. It is Viking Air Plus. It was also offered to us in June 2023 when we booked a cruise. I'll call back and speak to a different representative.  Just wanted to check here first. Thanks!

1 minute ago, Ceegeefl said:

I'm sorry. You are correct TayanaLorna. It is Viking Air Plus. It was also offered to us in June 2023 when we booked a cruise. I'll call back and speak to a different representative.  Just wanted to check here first. Thanks!

Well, I have Air Plus for our Douro River cruise in Nov 2024.  So I guess if you already have it, it remains, but if you want to order it now, they don’t have it anymore.  I also have it for our BIE cruise next May, with flights chosen, seats assigned etc.  they confirmed that with me just last week.  To be ticketed next month.  But I guess for our April 2025 cruise we are on our own!

4 hours ago, Ceegeefl said:

Yesterday we booked the Viking Homelands cruise for next year. When we said we wanted to add Viking Air the agent stated that Viking no longer offers it except in special circumstances such as groups flying together. Instead, we will see a list of available  flights about 3 months before embarkation on MVJ to choose from. Has anyone else encountered this?  Were you happy with the flights offered?  Thanks!

Do a HUCA !

Seriously, if Viking is eliminating Air Plus, probably a step in the right direction.  Personally I think they should eliminate the Air service period.  It has caused so much confusion, misunderstandings, anger, angst, stress, and more amongst passengers that it truly detracts from the actual cruise for some people.  I've actually heard people say they were never going to cruise on Viking again because of Viking Air (they obviously didn't realize Viking Air is optional).

Edited by CCWineLover

We have used Air Plus 3 times now, latest booking our air for next July just this past week, and so far we have no complaints. Our latest, we paid a lil more extra to fly Delta, but overall we are flying cheaper than if we booked ourselves

• Like 1

Booking business class from Orlando to Sydney in advance, as far as I can tell by doing research on several travel websites, I have saved a few thousand dollars by doing so.  

Just back a couple of days ago using Viking air, business class for our 3 week river cruise.  I could not have been happier.  Good service.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

We have Viking Air Plus back from Bergen next May.  Business class, flying to Amsterdam and then to US.  Our flight from Bergen leaves at 6:05 am, but oh well, at least we get home at a decent time, 5:15 pm.  

I was shocked when I saw the flights that Viking selected for flights from Bergen to Philly.  Leave Bergen at 6:15 am.to Fra.  4 hour layover.  Flight fro. Fra to Phl.  It was the only way we could get home with one change and arrive home the same day.  In reality, Viking picked the best route available.  We know people who cancelled cruise because of that 6:15 am flight.  If Viking discontinues air, it may save them from those disgruntled guests who don’t like the air arrangements. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I was shocked when I saw the flights that Viking selected for flights from Bergen to Philly.  Leave Bergen at 6:15 am.to Fra.  4 hour layover.  Flight fro. Fra to Phl.  It was the only way we could get home with one change and arrive home the same day.  In reality, Viking picked the best route available.  We know people who cancelled cruise because of that 6:15 am flight.  If Viking discontinues air, it may save them from those disgruntled guests who don’t like the air arrangements. 

Bergen is a tough airport for people to get in/out of.  Not many choices for those who want to leave immediately following the cruise.  We always try to spend a couple days and/or go to Oslo and enjoy that wonderful city.  Of course - we only do our own Air for issues just such as this.  Much cheaper and more flexible.

• Like 1

I had Air Plus and picked the flights myself.  We have to have two stops.  And with this sequence of flights, we get home at 5:15 pm, which is nice, because we have another hour drive from the airport.  And, I wouldn’t balk at a four hour layover in Frankfurt.  It can be crazy!  And I can’t imagine anyone canceling a cruise because of an early flight—even if we so have to gather at 3 am to set off to the airport with a Viking transfer.  

15 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Bergen is a tough airport for people to get in/out of.  Not many choices for those who want to leave immediately following the cruise.  We always try to spend a couple days and/or go to Oslo and enjoy that wonderful city.  Of course - we only do our own Air for issues just such as this.  Much cheaper and more flexible.

We did this on our Viking Homelands trip in 2018.  We took the train to Oslo and spent a wonderful few days there.  This time, however, we need to get right home.  

5 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

We did this on our Viking Homelands trip in 2018.  We took the train to Oslo and spent a wonderful few days there.  This time, however, we need to get right home.  

We did the same!  Homelands on Viking Sky in May 2018.

14 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

We have Viking Air Plus back from Bergen next May.  Business class, flying to Amsterdam and then to US.  Our flight from Bergen leaves at 6:05 am, but oh well, at least we get home at a decent time, 5:15 pm.  

We have done that early flight from the ship/BGO…We don’t usually sleep well before traveling and once you are awake, Viking had a continental breakfast and easy transfer to the airport. I’d do it again to get home at a decent hour. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

We did the same!  Homelands on Viking Sky in May 2018.

We were May, 2018.  Maybe we were on the same cruise!  Can’t remember the exact dates, but the end of May, beginning of June.  We had lovely, weather.  I loved that cruise and going to St. Petersburg.  

38 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Speculation re: no V Air and no Air Plus is not helpful to new pax or those considering V.

Cruiseline air is rarely the best way to go.

It may be the simplest, but then...why don't you use a travel agent that actually knows something about travel?

You were right,Island Lady.  When I called Viking Air,the agent actually encouraged us to add Air Plus. Lesson learned. Always double check what a Viking agent tells you if it seems questionable. 

Thank you everyone for your input.

• Like 2