Free upgrade recently?

BND

There is someone on FB stating they were given a free/complimentary upgrade from an ocean view to a crown loft suite.   Just curious as I'm pretty confident since they went to Royal UP, they aren't giving free upgrades anymore.  Has anyone heard of this happening lately?  The post is also about how fabulous the food is as it's on the Royal Caribbean Dining page.   Supposedly this was their honeymoon on Harmony.  

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, BND said:

There is someone on FB stating they were given a free/complimentary upgrade from an ocean view to a crown loft suite.   Just curious as I'm pretty confident since they went to Royal UP, they aren't giving free upgrades anymore.  Has anyone heard of this happening lately?  The post is also about how fabulous the food is as it's on the Royal Caribbean Dining page.   Supposedly this was their honeymoon on Harmony.  

How much faith can you have in the information if they said the the food was fabulous?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

How much faith can you have in the information if they said the the food was fabulous?

Well, the pictures they posted were from 150 but they still stated everything had been "perfect".  Fabulous was my wording, but they were basically bashing anyone who had said anything negative or said the quality has gone downhill.  

• Like 1

A random person on the internet can say anything, good or bad…that prove it is true.  I would guess a free upgrade from OV to CL would be as rare as hen’s teeth.  I suspect it is far more likely a relative or friend anonymously paid to upgrade the lucky couple to make the honeymoon cruise special.  For their own reasons, the donor does not want others to know the source of the largesse.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

A random person on the internet can say anything, good or bad…that prove it is true.  I would guess a free upgrade from OV to CL would be as rare as hen’s teeth.  I suspect it is far more likely a relative or friend anonymously paid to upgrade the lucky couple to make the honeymoon cruise special.  For their own reasons, the donor does not want others to know the source of the largesse.

That was my first thought too.

3 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I can't even remember the last time someone got a free upgrade of any kind, unless there was a big problem with a cabin, and the upgrade was the only thing available, but that would be on board.

Last actual complimentary upgrade we got was in 2017 on Freedom 

Totally unaware and unplanned 

Checked in and we were confused as to why we were in a GS when we booked a JS (No complaints 😎)

All other upgrades since then have been through Royal UP or we have paid directly to upgrade 

46 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

This^^^^^

• Like 1

He says the Hotel Director met them at the Top Tier and found out they had just gotten married the day before and he gave them the CLS.    We had a Hotel Director give us a bottle of wine for our 41st anniversary one time after we met him in the DL.  🙂

He also thinks everyone just likes to complain.  Of course, everyone who says the food has slipped just likes to complain lol.

Edited by BND

Hubby and a friend who went, both in inside cabins, were upgraded for free to hump balconies about 6 months ago. First time ever, in 35+ cruises, he's received any upgrade with out paying or bidding on Royal Up. No clue as to why. He just noticed his cabin number changed one day when looking at the app. He was mad because he had selected a midship cabin and thought they had moved him to a lower deck at the front. When we looked up the deck plans he was pleasantly surprised to be midship on the hump. I'm sure that was a once in a lifetime thing and it will never happen again for us.

3 hours ago, BND said:

He says the Hotel Director met them at the Top Tier and found out they had just gotten married the day before and he gave them the CLS.    We had a Hotel Director give us a bottle of wine for our 41st anniversary one time after we met him in the DL.  🙂

He also thinks everyone just likes to complain.  Of course, everyone who says the food has slipped just likes to complain lol.

I wish you had mentioned in the first post that this was a mid-cruise upgrade.  Free pre-cruise upgrades are different from mid-cruise upgrades.  RoyalUp now closes the day before sailing.  There can be occasional empty cabins due to last minute issues.  I presume the HD can decide how to manage these.  Recently Royal Suite guests on Mariner were unable to sail on the day of departure; that Royal Suite became a bingo prize.  Some other HD could decide fill an unexpectedly vacant CL with honeymoon couple who made a nice impression at the top tier event.

2 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I wish you had mentioned in the first post that this was a mid-cruise upgrade.  Free pre-cruise upgrades are different from mid-cruise upgrades.  RoyalUp now closes the day before sailing.  There can be occasional empty cabins due to last minute issues.  I presume the HD can decide how to manage these.  Recently Royal Suite guests on Mariner were unable to sail on the day of departure; that Royal Suite became a bingo prize.  Some other HD could decide fill an unexpectedly vacant CL with honeymoon couple who made a nice impression at the top tier event.

He didn't update it until right before I did after several people questioned it.  His original post didn't mention it. I have seen suites as bingo prizes a few times.  I'm just the friggin messenger.

Edited by BND
  • Thanks 1

Guess you have to meet the Hotel Director during the Top Tier Event and talk about your 2nd honeymoon, Anniversary, Retirement etc etc LOL 

Yes. I read the FB post too and was skeptical 

Edited by LilBlackDress
  • Haha 1