Live! Jewel of the Seas B2B October 20, 2023 to November 9, 2023: A Canada & New England Adventure with Dragon of the Seas  

4 hours ago, BND said:

We're on the train. Boarded in Manassas.

We are finally on the train too. It was supposed to leave Fredericksburg at 12:07 and we were about an hour and 20 minutes late.

I was surprised by the number of passengers that got on in Fredericksburg. Think it was 50 people.

The cars on this train are better than the last one we were on.

there was a group of six people that were waiting with us in Fredericksburg, and when the train initially began being delayed, they would increase it every few minutes by another five or 10 minutes. They were getting very concerned. They stated that they had a plane that left Reagan national airport at 3:30 and planned to ride our train to union station and then take the metro back to the airport.🙄

we arrived at Union station about 2:46 PM. And I don’t think that 45 minutes will give them enough time to get down the train platform to the metro platform ride back to the airport and check their luggage and get to the gate. It makes me tired just thinking about it.

31 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

We are finally on the train too. It was supposed to leave Fredericksburg at 12:07 and we were about an hour and 20 minutes late.

I was surprised by the number of passengers that got on in Fredericksburg. Think it was 50 people.

The cars on this train are better than the last one we were on.

there was a group of six people that were waiting with us in Fredericksburg, and when the train initially began being delayed, they would increase it every few minutes by another five or 10 minutes. They were getting very concerned. They stated that they had a plane that left Reagan national airport at 3:30 and planned to ride our train to union station and then take the metro back to the airport.🙄

we arrived at Union station about 2:46 PM. And I don’t think that 45 minutes will give them enough time to get down the train platform to the metro platform ride back to the airport and check their luggage and get to the gate. It makes me tired just thinking about it.

Wow.  Our train was on time.  We're in the Doubletree now.  It's pretty busy here.  We're going to relax and then go grab dinner and then relax in the room.  There's no way they could even begin to make it.  First, just getting metro there and getting into the airport will eat up most if not all that 45 min.  Then, luggage, security and getting to their gate.   I also doubt they'll all get on the same rebooked flight together.  My DH said, "why didn't they just drive to Reagan or book a van?  They certainly weren't saving any time.

Edited by BND

16 minutes ago, BND said:

Wow.  Our train was on time.  We're in the Doubletree now.  It's pretty busy here.  We're going to relax and then go grab dinner and then relax in the room.  There's no way they could even begin to make it.  First, just getting metro there and getting into the airport will eat up most if not all that 45 min.  Then, luggage, security and getting to their gate.   I also doubt they'll all get on the same rebooked flight together.  My DH said, "why didn't they just drive to Reagan or book a van?  They certainly weren't saving any time.

It was not a well thought out plan. First of all, if you’re gonna take the train you need to take an earlier train. The second thing is why go all the way to Union Station when you could’ve gotten off the train in Alexandria, the metro is right there. I have changed from the VRE train to Metro at that exact spot several times.

And your husband is exactly right there are certainly other options that were better than the train for them.

we’re staying at the Doubletree also. You can’t beat directly attached to the train station for convenience. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ecslady said:

Have a great cruise!  Just got off the Jewel at the end of September.  Thought it was in great shape. Be sure to check out the piano guy in the Schooner.  I thought he was really good. He'll be on till Dec he said. Bartenders in Schooner and the Centrum were top notch too.

We just had 25n on Jewel… thought the guy in Schooner was terrible! So LOUD and definitely not a sing along type! I think we had 2 drinks in that bar the whole 25n before we fled with ears covered!! 
Vintages was awesome on the first cruise and dead on the second… it’s all about the staff. 
Centrum was good. The Latin band were superb as were the duo with guitar and violin 🎻 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, little britain said:

We just had 25n on Jewel… thought the guy in Schooner was terrible! So LOUD and definitely not a sing along type! I think we had 2 drinks in that bar the whole 25n before we fled with ears covered!! 
Vintages was awesome on the first cruise and dead on the second… it’s all about the staff. 
Centrum was good. The Latin band were superb as were the duo with guitar and violin 🎻 

To each his own.  I really liked the guy in Schooner.  Latin band was good.  The guitar and violin duo were not for me.

Edited by ecslady

3 hours ago, little britain said:

1 hour ago, ecslady said:

To each his own.  I really liked the guy in Schooner.  Latin band was good.  The guitar and violin duo were not for me.

That's so funny,  Yes, musical preferences are very personal. 🤣

I like that Royal Caribbean has live music.  

• Like 1

We just had 25n on Jewel… 

These two cruises will be 20 days for us.  I really envy the Greenland cruise that was part of your 25 days.  One of my bucket list items is to see the aurora borealis. Several passengers on your cruise posted pictures on 2 or 3 nights.  

I have looked at the weather forecast, and we do not seem to have many clear nights. Hopefully that will change. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

These two cruises will be 20 days for us.  I really envy the Greenland cruise that was part of your 25 days.  One of my bucket list items is to see the aurora borealis. Several passengers on your cruise posted pictures on 2 or 3 nights.  

I have looked at the weather forecast, and we do not seem to have many clear nights. Hopefully that will change. 

We saw them 4 nights running. Sorry! They weren’t great but at least we saw them!

Remember they may not be visible to the naked eye 👁️- look through your iPhone/ camera lens and they will magically appear!  I don’t think some people knew this… said they couldn’t see anything and went away!  
Use the Aurora app and even if it said 20% chance we saw them 

IMG_1469.jpeg

• Like 3

We saw them 4 nights running. Sorry! They weren’t great but at least we saw them!

Remember they may not be visible to the naked eye 👁️- look through your iPhone/ camera lens and they will magically appear!  I don’t think some people knew this… said they couldn’t see anything and went away!  
Use the Aurora app and even if it said 20% chance we saw them 

IMG_1469.jpeg

Thanks for the advice.  I love the picture.  😊

• Thanks 1

Today is cruise day!  It is just cloudy and wet right now--but intermittent rain is forecast for the next four days. But a rainy day on a cruise is better than a sunny day anywhere else. 😜 One of the online weather stations mentioned a Nor'easter was going to follows us up the coast.  However, I think we are moving faster 

Here is the view from my window.  I reserved a king bed/River view room at the Doubletree Newark Penn. HaHaHa I guess If I had Xray vision I could see the river through the building.  No worries.  I was too tired yesterday to enjoy the view anyway. 

view.thumb.jpeg.44c359fde8a414d9ed46ae641736a778.jpeg

We could have driven to the port, but even before my accident we decided to take the train.  Parking at the port in Bayonne is $30/day.  So, $600 for the 20 day trip . . .and I-95 is full of tolls.

We selected 11:30 as our check in time, that was the earliest available. Those that purchased "the Key" got 11:00am.

People always ask if purchasing the key is worth it. So here is the breakdown. The Key for our cruise cost $36/day pp. Both people in the cabin need to buy it for all days. [$720 for each cruise] This does not hold much value for me.  We already get some internet days free and a BOGO specialty dining each on the first two days of each of my B2B cruise. #6 and #7 below do not pertain to this cruise. So, we passed.  For new cruisers and especially on larger ships this offers a better value. JMHO

These are the benefits of The Key:

1. The Key designated arrival time gives you priority access into the terminal on Day 1.  

2. Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom. Drop off your carry-on bags in the Main Dining Room until 1:30 pm.

3. Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring The Key Signature menu. 

4. 20% off at all specialty restaurants throughout your cruise when you make your reservations on Day 1 of the sailing. Subject to availability.

5. VOOM® Surf & Stream 1 Device high-speed internet.

6. Access to the fast lane at onboard activities and private time at the FlowRider®. Activities vary by ship.

7. Priority ship-to-shore departure at tender ports of call.

8. Dedicated seating section at shows in the Royal Theater.

9. On debarkation day, enjoy an exclusive à la carte breakfast and depart at your leisure with Choice Departure.

Several of the cruise lines offer a similar program.  Carnival has the FTTF [First to the Fun] program.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Today is cruise day!  It is just cloudy and wet right now--but intermittent rain is forecast for the next four days. But a rainy day on a cruise is better than a sunny day anywhere else. 😜 One of the online weather stations mentioned a Nor'easter was going to follows us up the coast.  However, I think we are moving faster 

Here is the view from my window.  I reserved a king bed/River view room at the Doubletree Newark Penn. HaHaHa I guess If I had Xray vision I could see the river through the building.  No worries.  I was too tired yesterday to enjoy the view anyway. 

view.thumb.jpeg.44c359fde8a414d9ed46ae641736a778.jpeg

We could have driven to the port, but even before my accident we decided to take the train.  Parking at the port in Bayonne is $30/day.  So, $600 for the 20 day trip . . .and I-95 is full of tolls.

We selected 11:30 as our check in time, that was the earliest available. Those that purchased "the Key" got 11:00am.

People always ask if purchasing the key is worth it. So here is the breakdown. The Key for our cruise cost $36/day pp. Both people in the cabin need to buy it for all days. [$720 for each cruise] This does not hold much value for me.  We already get some internet days free and a BOGO specialty dining each on the first two days of each of my B2B cruise. #6 and #7 below do not pertain to this cruise. So, we passed.  For new cruisers and especially on larger ships this offers a better value. JMHO

These are the benefits of The Key:

1. The Key designated arrival time gives you priority access into the terminal on Day 1.  

2. Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom. Drop off your carry-on bags in the Main Dining Room until 1:30 pm.

3. Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring The Key Signature menu. 

4. 20% off at all specialty restaurants throughout your cruise when you make your reservations on Day 1 of the sailing. Subject to availability.

5. VOOM® Surf & Stream 1 Device high-speed internet.

6. Access to the fast lane at onboard activities and private time at the FlowRider®. Activities vary by ship.

7. Priority ship-to-shore departure at tender ports of call.

8. Dedicated seating section at shows in the Royal Theater.

9. On debarkation day, enjoy an exclusive à la carte breakfast and depart at your leisure with Choice Departure.

Several of the cruise lines offer a similar program.  Carnival has the FTTF [First to the Fun] program.

We also have 1130 but plan to leave the hotel around 10.  We have a JS so we can check in earlier than our time also as we're considered a "suite" for boarding purposes.  So, between about a 30 min ride plus as we all know, there's always a line going into the port so that'll take another 10-15 min just to get to luggage drop off, hopefully not a long wait. As long as I can sit some I'm good.

We have a corner room facing the train station.  

Edited by BND

We got on board very quickly also. We have wheelchair assistance for DH and that usually involves a wait for the staff to help us. But there was no waiting today. The staff member took us to our muster station so we could check in and then up to the Windjammer. We’re having good luck with people helping us. 

this is a copy of the letter that is in our state room regarding access to what used to be called a diamond lounge and it’s now called the crown lounge. I think access to this lounge is going to change based on the number of people on board who would have access for each cruise. 

IMG_5556.thumb.jpeg.959cb664b40c89afa705a3527a4025ee.jpeg

They’re all about saving paper, but the ship printed a copy of the benefits and left it in the state rooms. I haven’t had time to compare this to a previous version to see if there any changes.

IMG_5557.thumb.jpeg.f347d1c2aad498055106bbe3e3861d08.jpeg

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

30 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

We got on board very quickly also. We have wheelchair assistance for DH and that usually involves a wait for the staff to help us. But there was no waiting today. The staff member took us to our muster station so we could check in and then up to the Windjammer. We’re having good luck with people helping us. 

this is a copy of the letter that is in our state room regarding access to what used to be called a diamond lounge and it’s now called the crown lounge. I think access to this lounge is going to change based on the number of people on board who would have access for each cruise. 

IMG_5556.thumb.jpeg.959cb664b40c89afa705a3527a4025ee.jpeg

They’re all about saving paper, but the ship printed a copy of the benefits and left it in the state rooms. I haven’t had time to compare this to a previous version to see if there any changes.

IMG_5557.thumb.jpeg.f347d1c2aad498055106bbe3e3861d08.jpeg

I was going to post about crown lounge access. We were just in our cabin.

Here are a few random pictures from around Jewel of the Seas. The first few are from the centrum.

IMG_5560.thumb.jpeg.1ed920861832fde4629a5f03d41becac.jpeg

IMG_5554.thumb.jpeg.15ae66bc28648d7b63fcc9d06b6498ac.jpeg

The R Bar on this ship is much larger than on the Vision class ship.  It’s very nice and luckily it’s the closest to us.

IMG_5561.thumb.jpeg.807f129788dfd9a345d0e413bfafb370.jpeg

This is Vintages. I guess it’s a little early for a wine bar.

IMG_5562.thumb.jpeg.52274cc19d5417d979c089e7092e4f76.jpeg

• Like 3

One of our cruise passengers arranged a gift exchange. This was going to be three groups of seven, so we would buy gifts for the other six people in your group. But the gift exchange morphed into seven groups of seven.

Then our leader decided to have a craft session. So these pictures are some pics. 

IMG_5571.thumb.jpeg.c963d1690d869bdf47d0eb9a8a5ec9cf.jpeg

IMG_5570.thumb.jpeg.b57d45942d0477952cc3f8eef4a3f724.jpeg

IMG_5568.thumb.jpeg.a8735a375fbf2f1a54fda9912fd4ab6e.jpeg

IMG_5569.thumb.jpeg.cf338442a2e0f532c28083c63dfb9831.jpeg

I’ll show you the finished product when we’re done if I ever get done. So if the nurse or three years an.🙄🥤

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

One of our cruise passengers arranged a gift exchange. This was going to be three groups of seven, so we would buy gifts for the other six people in your group. But the gift exchange morphed into seven groups of seven.

Then our leader decided to have a craft session. So these pictures are some pics. 

IMG_5571.thumb.jpeg.c963d1690d869bdf47d0eb9a8a5ec9cf.jpeg

IMG_5570.thumb.jpeg.b57d45942d0477952cc3f8eef4a3f724.jpeg

IMG_5568.thumb.jpeg.a8735a375fbf2f1a54fda9912fd4ab6e.jpeg

IMG_5569.thumb.jpeg.cf338442a2e0f532c28083c63dfb9831.jpeg

I’ll show you the finished product when we’re done if I ever get done. So if the nurse or three years an.🙄🥤

NICE!  My kind of thing.  Wish I was there to bead with you.  Looking forward to seeing your completed project.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I brought crochet and Diamond painting on the Greenland cruise. I make jewelry too, but go through stages on what craft I’m doing at the time….🤦🏼‍♀️

That looks like fun.

I like the chairs on the deck overlooking Centrum..found it to be a quiet place usually, and away from crowds. 

The loneliest person on the cruise today was the poor lifeguard at the pool. You can see there were no passengers in the pool. It was cool with a drizzle at this point.  

loneypool.jpeg.466874ae090ac67a46f8e6673320a9fb.jpeg

I took a couple pictures of the Manhattan and New Jersy skyline.  It was not a sunny day, but the view was still beautiful.

manhattan3.jpeg.82c751c16337491e75cb5cfb3580c472.jpeg

manhattan.jpeg.59cdd25892b1433a4818df3a6dd6a5ec.jpeg

manhattan2.jpeg.4524149a6ab37f6a0da48d3c91f1574d.jpeg

I did not get a picture of the Statue of Liberty.  I will have to get that on the return trip.

Tomorrow is a day at sea.  I am looking forward to reading and resting.  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I brought crochet and Diamond painting on the Greenland cruise. I make jewelry too, but go through stages on what craft I’m doing at the time….🤦🏼‍♀️

That looks like fun.

I like the chairs on the deck overlooking Centrum..found it to be a quiet place usually, and away from crowds. 

We made good use of those chairs since the centrum was always packed. Once we had to use the computer chairs. 

• Like 1

Welcome to our first sea day.  I love sea days, especially on a longer cruise. These two cruises have a good rhythm of a couple of ports and then a day at sea.  It gives you time to rest for the next outing/tour. 

Here are our ports:

Picture1.png.cdc6a5eda0309295e80727f357478e72.png

Picture2.png.c6a3ec9708073180963d04c304e59392.png

We generally have a full day in the ports except for Charlottetown on the second cruise.  We have an excursion booked on this cruise and just walk around in the afternoon on the next. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedSails1968 said:

We made good use of those chairs since the centrum was always packed. Once we had to use the computer chairs. 

The decks around the Centrum were pretty full yesterday.  The weather pushed everyone inside the ship. 

One nice thing about this class of ship is that there are so many windows that you can see the ocean even when you are inside.

• Like 2

As you can imagine weather is a big topic on this cruise.  Long range forecasts of more than a few days are not always accurate.  For example, the outlook for Boston was for heavy rain and wind tomorrow.  They are having that weather today and our forecast is for partly cloudy with a high of 56.  I think everyone can live with that.

On the other hand, Saguenay is much farther north.  We stop there on October 29 on this cruise and Oct 31 on the next. We have a 4.5 hr Back Country and Fjord Tour on the 31st.  Here are the two forecast. [Weather.com and Accuweather]  These forecasts have been pretty consistent for more than a week.

We will see. We might get to see snow.:classic_ohmy:🌨️❄️Glad I brought gloves and a hat. 

Accusaguenayweather.thumb.jpg.49a72238da6cbfd78782082b2b312bb8.jpg

Weather.comSaguenay.thumb.jpg.d368d7e05877068abffb1f36e04616c6.jpg

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas
  • Like 1