Live! Jewel of the Seas B2B October 20, 2023 to November 9, 2023: A Canada & New England Adventure with Dragon of the Seas  

4 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

If they charge us It will be annoying--but, small in the scheme of things.  DH is still in the hospital.  We are SO glad we have trip insurance. They are arranging medical transport back to Virginia when he is able to leave the hospital. They pay upfront up to the policy imit.  Our RCL insurance policy has a $50,000 limit.  This is a huge deal for me.  

Mind sharing if you just had RCI's insurance or a 3rd party one also ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

If they charge us It will be annoying--but, small in the scheme of things.  DH is still in the hospital.  We are SO glad we have trip insurance. They are arranging medical transport back to Virginia when he is able to leave the hospital. They pay upfront up to the policy imit.  Our RCL insurance policy has a $50,000 limit.  This is a huge deal for me.  

A great advertisement for buying insurance. We always have. This year we bought an annual policy that covers a lot. Did he fall on the ship or ashore?

He was in the bathroom and lost his balance and hit the toilet and fractured 6 ribs in multiple places.  He had surgery and needed to have 3 plates added to stabilize the ribs.  So, he is still in the hospital. . . . and will need to go to a rehab hospital before going home. 

We bought RCL insurance. We used to buy other insurance, but, as you get older they get much more expensive.  The RCL insurance seems to be based on the cost of the trip.  

He is not able to fly for 2 months because of the injury.  So, we have to have a ground long-distance medical transport.  The caseworker here at the hospital and the Carefree Tavel Assistance are coordinating that.  I am so glad. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

He was in the bathroom and lost his balance and hit the toilet and fractured 6 ribs in multiple places.  He had surgery and needed to have 3 plates added to stabilize the ribs.  So, he is still in the hospital. . . . and will need to go to a rehab hospital before going home. 

We bought RCL insurance. We used to buy other insurance, but, as you get older they get much more expensive.  The RCL insurance seems to be based on the cost of the trip.  

He is not able to fly for 2 months because of the injury.  So, we have to have a ground long-distance medical transport.  The caseworker here at the hospital and the Carefree Tavel Assistance are coordinating that.  I am so glad. 

Painful injury.  Glad you were in the US.  Cruise is going great and sorry you're missing it. We had some light snow in Saguenay today. 

7 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Wow!  So very sorry to hear. Wishing your husband a speedy recovery. 

On 10/28/2023 at 4:45 PM, BND said:

Actually it's for transportation between two US ports which is not allowed. The foreign port has no impact on that. It's that you boarded in one US port and got off in another US port 

I stand corrected!  Celebrity told us it was because we departed at the first port after a foreign destination.  I could have misunderstood- my father had just passed away and I was a little overwhelmed.  At any rate, I hope DragonoftheSeas is spared the fine!

On 10/29/2023 at 8:21 AM, BND said:

A great advertisement for buying insurance. We always have. This year we bought an annual policy that covers a lot. Did he fall on the ship or ashore?

@BND I’ve been wanting to look into this as we get back to traveling more. Any recommendations?  Thanks!

1 hour ago, maggieq said:

@BND I’ve been wanting to look into this as we get back to traveling more. Any recommendations?  Thanks!

We bought Allianz based on others recommendations.  They have a few options for upgrades.

4 hours ago, maggieq said:

There are many things to consider.  No one type is for everyone.  Age, physical condition, do you want a yearly or individual trip policy, price, etc. There is a whole Cruise Critic message board that deals with insurance. that is a good place to start.

I cannot imagine how painful that injury must have been, my goodness I am so sorry to hear it. I am glad you were able to get right off the ship and did not have to wait to get help and pain medication. What a blessing. We had a sea evac three weeks ago on Serenade on the North route and they had the coast guard take the passenger off from Halifax so they were in Canada. Of course no idea what happened or how it turned out but a lot of us were praying they had travel insurance. You never need it until you need it. We always just buy Royals as well. Hopefully never need it. Prayers for a speedy recovery and safe trip home!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, DELTABLUE said:

Am checking in from aboard Vision.  Was hoping to read some encouraging words that you had both made it home in good condition.  Still hoping that things are getting more under control and that Alan is improving.

Made it home from Maine with a 12 hour ambulance ride. It was grim. However, I am home and he is in rehab.  So, we are getting lose to him coming home. 🙂

Have a great cruise!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2