Live! Jewel of the Seas B2B October 20, 2023 to November 9, 2023: A Canada & New England Adventure with Dragon of the Seas  

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from DragonOfTheSeas! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

DragonOfTheSeas was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

DH and I are off on another cruise adventure. This time we are sailing two back-to-back one-way cruises from Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ to Quebec City and back--and, I can’t wait! [20 nights total] Our family thinks we are a little nuts to be gone this long. This started out as a trip from Quebec City to Bayonne.  DH has some mobility issues and airports are a challenge.  We took a similar cruise in 2019 and the experience transferring at the Montreal airport [long delay and lots of walking] was not the best.  We boarded the prop jet by walking out on the tarmac and up the stairs.  So, I found a good price on the one way to Quebec City, and I booked it. Problem solved. That's my story and I am sticking to it. 😜

To make this trip even more interesting we are taking an Amtrak train from Fredericksburg, Va to the Newark Penn Station tomorrow before we board the Jewel of the Seas Friday morning and back after we disembark. We took the train one way from BWI airport [DD lives nearby] last spring to board the Celebrity Beyond reposition to Fort Lauderdale. It was only a 2.5 hour trip.   It was a late afternoon train and very crowded. We did not find seats together until we hit Wilmington, DE.  We are leaving Fredericksburg around noon in the hopes there are less passengers when we board.

The ports for this cruise are Boston, Portland, ME; Saint John, NB; Sydney, NS; Charlottetown, PEI; Saguenay, Q; and Quebec City. Saguenay is the only port that is new to us. We are really looking forward to our Back country and fjord tour. 

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas
  • Like 4

Have a great cruise.  I will be following along.   I have looked at those cruises that either end up in, or start from Quebec City, but we have yet to book one.  

We met a couple on a cruise, several years ago, and they lived in Quebec City.   That looks like a great port. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

Have a great cruise.  I will be following along.   I have looked at those cruises that either end up in, or start from Quebec City, but we have yet to book one.  

We met a couple on a cruise, several years ago, and they lived in Quebec City.   That looks like a great port. 

Quebec City is one of my favorite ports we have ever visited.  The last time we took a similar cruise we spent three days touring the city and surrounding area.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

The ports for this cruise are Boston, Portland, ME; Saint John, NB; Sydney, NS; Charlottetown, PEI; Saguenay, Q; and Quebec City. Saguenay is the only port that is new to us. We are really looking forward to our Back country and fjord tour. 

I forgot to include the map. Sorry!

Canadamaptouse.thumb.jpg.6191edb52c4c2079a99602b36429e79d.jpg

I'm very happy to follow along! I live in Quebec City and it's on my bucket list to take a cruise from home one day. In the meantime, I enjoy watching the ships sail away. 

Wishing you and your husband a fantastic trip 😍

• Thanks 1

We are Agnes and Alan and live in Louisa, Virginia. [about 45 min west of Richmond] This will be cruise 39 and 40 for us. We have mostly sailed Royal Caribbean.  We have sailed on the Jewel before and like this class of ship for a cold weather cruise. 

We sail Celebrity when we find an itinerary that we enjoy at a reasonable price. We are D+ in Crown and Anchor.  Although C & A benefits are a frequently criticized topic on Cruise Critic, we find that they enhance our cruise experience, especially on a long cruise. We will never get to Pinnacle. 

We are former high school history/government teachers, so we enjoy visiting historic places and national parks. My husband says I can’t pass a church or fort without stopping. I had a freak accident this summer and broke three vertebrae in my back. I am otherwise healthy. [the doctors have given a thumbs up for cruising] I wore a full torso brace at first and then a brace my son says looks just like the body armor he wore in Afghanistan. I only wear it now if I am tired of supporting my own weight. [usually evening] I counted the days until I could take off the braces only to find my core and back muscles had atrophy. UGH!  I am working on that. I usually cover it, but there is no hiding I have it on. It is good we visit each port twice.  That way I can take a day here or there to stay onboard if I want.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

We are Agnes and Alan and live in Louisa, Virginia. [about 45 min west of Richmond] This will be cruise 39 and 40 for us.  Although C & A benefits are a frequently criticized topic on Cruise Critic, we find that they enhance our cruise experience, especially on a long cruise. We will never get to Pinnacle. 

We are former high school history/government teachers, so we enjoy visiting historic places and national parks. 

I hear you about the benefits, we are just back from trying Carnival for the first time, missed those benefits. With our retirement cruise coming up, we too are D+ and will never make Pinnacle.  Being a history teacher in Richmond, Va must be fun, lots of historical things right in your area. 

2 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

DH and I are off on another cruise adventure. This time we are sailing two back-to-back one-way cruises from Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ to Quebec City and back--and, I can’t wait! [20 nights total] Our family thinks we are a little nuts to be gone this long. This started out as a trip from Quebec City to Bayonne.  DH has some mobility issues and airports are a challenge.  We took a similar cruise in 2019 and the experience transferring at the Montreal airport [long delay and lots of walking] was not the best.  We boarded the prop jet by walking out on the tarmac and up the stairs.  So, I found a good price on the one way to Quebec City, and I booked it. Problem solved. That's my story and I am sticking to it. 😜

To make this trip even more interesting we are taking an Amtrak train from Fredericksburg, Va to the Newark Penn Station tomorrow before we board the Jewel of the Seas Friday morning and back after we disembark. We took the train one way from BWI airport [DD lives nearby] last spring to board the Celebrity Beyond reposition to Fort Lauderdale. It was only a 2.5 hour trip.   It was a late afternoon train and very crowded. We did not find seats together until we hit Wilmington, DE.  We are leaving Fredericksburg around noon in the hopes there are less passengers when we board.

We're also taking Amtrak as I think you know.  But, we're doing Business Class both directions so we have our seats reserved.  We're boarding in Manassas and staying at the Doubletree Newark Penn since it's such an easy walk from the train station.  For our return we're going to Manhattan and staying two days before taking Amtrak from Moynihan back.  Our family also thinks we're nuts.  Some people actually think 20 nights is too long to cruise (that I don't get lol).  

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BillOh said:

Being a history teacher in Richmond, Va must be fun, lots of historical things right in your area. 

DH and I spent our teaching careers in the two counties that surround Fredericksburg, VA.  There are lots of colonial and Civil War history there, too. 😊

22 minutes ago, BND said:

Our family also thinks we're nuts.  Some people actually think 20 nights is too long to cruise (that I don't get lol).  

This will equal our longest cruise.  I would be glad to go for a B3B, but, DH is ready to go home by three weeks. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

DH and I spent our teaching careers in the two counties that surround Fredericksburg, VA.  There are lots of colonial and Civil War history there, too. 😊

This will equal our longest cruise.  I would be glad to go for a B3B, but, DH is ready to go home by three weeks. 

This is our second 20 night b2b.  Last one was 12 night Caribbean and 8 night Bahamas.  We had another 20 nights b2b booked for next April, but the 12 night got cancelled because Vision is going to dry dock so we'll be doing 16 nights instead (2- 8 nights).  

My parents lived in Fredericksburg for 20 years until 2 years ago.  We went to a few Civil War sites with them when our boys were in their teens.  They're now in Newport News near my sister and we moved 7 months ago from Loudoun County to Prince William.  We live just west of the Manassas battlefields.  

2 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

BTW, we might be on the same train as ours originates in Roanoke.  It gets into Newark at 3 pm.

Hi Guys!  Thanx for the heads up about your next LIVE adventure.  Always happy to cruise along with you.  I've been to some of that area by car and ship so know you are in for an awesome trip.  Sorry to hear about your back problems.  Hope you are feeling wellish, if not fully well, and not uncomfortable during your travels.  I'll be along for most of the trip until I castoff on Vision on 11-4.  Hugs to you both!😉

8 hours ago, DELTABLUE said:

Hi Guys!  Thanx for the heads up about your next LIVE adventure.  Always happy to cruise along with you.  I've been to some of that area by car and ship so know you are in for an awesome trip.  Sorry to hear about your back problems.  Hope you are feeling wellish, if not fully well, and not uncomfortable during your travels.  I'll be along for most of the trip until I castoff on Vision on 11-4.  Hugs to you both!😉

Thanks for following along while you have packing to do. 😁

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, DELTABLUE said:

Looks like a few people we know will be on Vision on 11-4.  We're doing this b2b on Jewel.  Heading to Amtrak in about an hour and a half.  We have 4 friends on the NB and 2 on the SB (one couple doing b2b with us) and know someone else who will be on with his mother.  Who knows who else we'll run into.  We're back on Vision in April for a b2b.

Have a great cruise!  Just got off the Jewel at the end of September.  Thought it was in great shape. Be sure to check out the piano guy in the Schooner.  I thought he was really good. He'll be on till Dec he said. Bartenders in Schooner and the Centrum were top notch too.