Princess mattresses

kstrittm

All, I have a question - and I'm being serious here - not trying to be snarky...

Several years ago, I took a Princess cruise and fell in love with their mattresses.  They were called Princess Luxury Bed Mattresses, and they were available for purchase online.  I loved it so much, I ordered one for my home.  The website is still live, and they sell them with Princess branding still in place.

Flash forward in time to post-COVID travel... In 2023, I completed 2 trips on Princess (in aft suites on Discovery; 2 different cabins).  The dang bed was so hard, I actually got a bruise on my hip!  Does anybody know what happened to the good mattresses?????

Again - I'm not being snarky - I really do want to know if anyone can tell me why they took the good mattresses away...

Thanks in advance.

Edited by kstrittm

Can't really answer your question, other than to say we disembarked from the Island 2 weeks ago and we had the best, most comfortable mattress of any Princess ship ever.  It was not hard as a rock like on prior cruises and we slept just as good, if not better, than at home.  

So it must vary by ship 🙂 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kstrittm said:

All, I have a question - and I'm being serious here - not trying to be snarky...

Several years ago, I took a Princess cruise and fell in love with their mattresses.  They were called Princess Luxury Bed Mattresses, and they were available for purchase online.  I loved it so much, I ordered one for my home.  The website is still live, and they sell them with Princess branding still in place.

Flash forward in time to post-COVID travel... In 2023, I completed 2 trips on Princess (in aft suites on Discovery; 2 different cabins).  The dang bed was so hard, I actually got a bruise on my hip!  Does anybody know what happened to the good mattresses?????

Again - I'm not being snarky - I really do want to know if anyone can tell me why they took the good mattresses away...

Thanks in advance.

You may have had one that, to try to be tactful, has been worn out by,,,consistent overuse by larger clientele. Next time ask if you can get a replacement. I don't know that the mattress was hard or that it was worn down to flatness?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, jwattle said:

You may have had one that, to try to be tactful, has been worn out by,,,consistent overuse by larger clientele. Next time ask if you can get a replacement. I don't know that the mattress was hard or that it was worn down to flatness?

Are you saying that somebody before them was fat?  Shame on you! 😄

• Haha 2

Got off the Crown Princess 6 weeks ago.  The mattress was totally broken down.  This was in a mini-suite.  And I didn't even think to have it swapped out, I guess I should have at least tried.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, kstrittm said:

In 2023, I completed 2 trips on Princess (in aft suites on Discovery; 2 different cabins).  The dang bed was so hard, I actually got a bruise on my hip!  Does anybody know what happened to the good mattresses?????

I recall someone reporting Discovery having really hard beds when it first launched in March 2021 - here's one of the threads. We didn't have any problems this time last year. Maybe it depends on the cabin and how well it's been broken in.

• Like 1

Absolutely have to agree with the OP on this one. We disembarked off the Discovery a week ago. The beds in our Mini were hard as a rock, and nowhere near as comfortable as what we remember from other Princess ships. We'd been on the Sky three times and Enchanted once "post-COVID" and remember the beds as being the great, comfortable Princess beds we've all known for years. No idea why the beds in our cabin on the Discovery were like granite, but they were.

• Like 1

I have always had very comfortable mattresses on previous Princess cruises until my last cruise on Crown Princess. It was the most terrible lumpy, saggy and uncomfortable mattress I have ever had the misfortune to try and sleep on. When I complained about the state of the mattress I was told nothing could be done as it already had a mattress topper on it. It needed to have been replaced long ago. It seems that there are some not so good mattresses which is a real shame as no-one expects to pay to go on a cruise and get an uncomfortable bed. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments...  I think it could be a valid complaint about the Discovery (and, yes, I did mention it in my post-cruise survey).  I've been on 24 Princess cruises, and these 2 trips on Discovery were the only time I experienced such discomfort.  My next two are scheduled on Regal and Majestic - fingers crossed things will be better.  Thanks also to the poster who suggested telling the room steward to add a topper; I'll keep that in mind in case I run into it again!

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, cheetosrevil said:

Odd that the newest ship in their fleet would have worn out mattresses. I've sailed Discovery twice and actually found the pillows to be lacking.

I'm not really sure the mattresses we had on the Discovery were worn out, the ship is too new and the mattresses felt too hard to be old and worn out. I think they are just cheap, rock hard mattresses, not the famous Princess mattresses. Perhaps they just couldn't get the correct ones when they outfitted the ship, so they had to use whatever they could get and bought them in bulk from the lumber department at Lowes or Home Depot ;o)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I'm not really sure the mattresses we had on the Discovery were worn out, the ship is too new and the mattresses felt too hard to be old and worn out. I think they are just cheap, rock hard mattresses, not the famous Princess mattresses. Perhaps they just couldn't get the correct ones when they outfitted the ship, so they had to use whatever they could get and bought them in bulk from the lumber department at Lowes or Home Depot ;o)

I've been on that ship twice and didn't think the mattresses were lacking. My first Princess cruise was 10/21 on the Grand and I slept great, aside from weather issues.

I'll do my own "investigative" work when I'm on Discovery in a couple of weeks. And when I say investigative, it will be based on how I sleep less any alcohol impact. 🙂

Edited by cheetosrevil

We have had 50 cruises on Princess and the mattresses have always been wonderful - the one exception was when we were on the Crown. The mattress was awful - it sagged terribly. They replaced with another awful mattress. Finally they brought one from an inside cabin that had not been used very much and it was acceptable, but still not good. We will never sail again on the Crown as I have heard this same issue from many others. Other than that one time, the pillows and mattresses on Princess have been the best!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Yes remember the "supply chain" issues impact of Covid (she was being fitted out in 2020) so perhaps they did exactly that and either have gradually upgraded them or let them get broken in.

20 hours ago, dides said:

I recall someone reporting Discovery having really hard beds when it first launched in March 2021 - here's one of the threads. We didn't have any problems this time last year. Maybe it depends on the cabin and how well it's been broken in.

I remember people saying that about the mattresses on the Discovery as well when it first launched. I was on the third sailing but didn’t notice it or it didn’t bother me. 

Question for those who had endured the hard mattresses on the Discovery: did you have the beds configured "normally" as a queen, or did you, like us, have Stewart split the beds into two singles? Is it possible that those who kept the beds together had a soft topper on the queen configuration, but those of us who had them split into singles did not have a topper as Princess didn't have a soft topper for the singles.  Perhaps that's why some of us who felt the beds on the Discovery were too hard (and ours were), while others had no such complaint

On 10/18/2023 at 2:18 PM, kstrittm said:

Yes the website, princessluxurybed.com is still live but they've been sold out for quite some time now. We bought a full king set for our place in Florida and a year later decided it was time to replace our king in Arizona. No such luck. 🤔