Winning over a skeptical first time cruiser

Coldwake

My wife has always been a skeptic of cruising as a vacation, but I finally convinced her to give it a try!  

Now I need to make sure this is the best experience possible so this is not a one time event.  However, I'm struggling to decide between two options in order to do so.

Here's the deal.  I decided for sure to do RCL and I know I want to go early April 2024 on either a 5 night on IOS in a grand suite or 7 night on WOS in a guarantee OVB .  We are going with our two girls, aged 3 and 5 at the time.  Price is very similar between the two and right in line with the budget.

The reason I'm going back and forth is this:

The 5 nt for IOS with the suite perks makes the traveling easier with the kiddos.  With the shorter trip, it is long enough to get settled in and a good taste of what it's like to go on a family cruise, but won't have the feeling of being too long.  If anything, it may leave them wanting more. The ports are Nassau and Labadee which I feel both have good options for younger kids.  On the down side: we're spending just as much $ for a shorter duration cruise, fewer included dining options, the flights are more $ and fewer direct to FLL/MIA than Orlando, and the ship is older (but amped a few years before COVID).  

For the 7 nt on WOS, the ship is newer and has many more unique onboard things to do for younger kids (carousel, play space, etc).  Newer ship.  Easier to travel to Orlando than Miami. Also, adventure ocean seems larger and more robust on WOS.  Downsides include having a OVB guarantee instead of the grand suite ( as opposed to IOS- picking the room and the suite benefits would sure be nice with the young kids), I'm worried about the length of cruise with the young kids wearing us out and thus making my wife not want to Cruise again (is this silly??), also size being more overwhelming for a first time cruise for my wife.

So please tell me RCL experts and/or parents who cruised with young children...  which is the best way to wow my wife and make sure my daughters have a great time??

Side note: I looked at other itineraries for Oasis and Freedom class ships that were amplified or had amped specs- none of them reached the value of the above two for $ spent vs amenities and ports.  I also have a small window where kids sale free promotion is active and also the kids are 3 and 5 (and can thus be in adventure ocean together).  So these are really the two best options- I'm not considering any others at this point.

IOS is Independence ots? Icon? Not sure which ships you are comparing. 

Last deals for suites I saw were out of new orleans a suite can be booked very reasonable. Older ship if you just wanted a suite. A lot for me depends where you live what ship I'd pick?

• Thanks 1

The problem with booking a suite for your first cruise is that you'll want to always book a suite.

As much as I like the suite life personally, I agree with the others in that 7 nights on Wonder is the better spot for your situation.  You'll be glad to have those 2 extra nights on about day 3 once you get your ship bearings straight.  Five nights by the time you get things figured out, the cruise is about over.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Seems unanimous so far!

Am I over valuing the suite perks like: priority departures, dinner & show seating, 24 hr free room service, free luggage valet, etc or am I over thinking that the 2 extra days would drag on our energy?  

(Also sorry, to confirm yes I meant Independence of the Seas)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coldwake said:

Seems unanimous so far!

Am I over valuing the suite perks like: priority departures, dinner & show seating, 24 hr free room service, free luggage valet, etc or am I over thinking that the 2 extra days would drag on our energy?  

If Indy was 7-nights, I'd say pick it. But at 5 nights, you'll feel like "I'm not done yet I don't want to go home"

7 nights for a first cruise definitely won't have you dragging. Just don't overdo activities.  Especially with young kids, don't feel obligated to be on the go all day long. Enjoy the relaxing down time as much as you enjoy the activities.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

If Indy was 7-nights, I'd say pick it. But at 5 nights, you'll feel like "I'm not done yet I don't want to go home"

7 nights for a first cruise definitely won't have you dragging. Just don't overdo activities.  Especially with young kids, don't feel obligated to be on the go all day long. Enjoy the relaxing down time as much as you enjoy the activities.

If my end goal is to not just have a good time but to get more cruises in the future, maybe "I'm not done yet I don't want to go home" is the exact reaction I should be going for!  😄

• Like 2

I would do the 7 day especially if you are flying into port.  Seven days gives you enough time to get to know the ship.  However, I would not do a balcony guarantee if I want to impress someone with cruising.  Pick your own room, it is worth the extra cost, trust me I am speaking from experience.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Coldwake said:

Seems unanimous so far!

Am I over valuing the suite perks like: 

I think you are.  The best benefits, as far as I'm concerned, on Freedom class ships and lower are breakfast in Chops each day and the Free drinks in the suite lounge during happy hour.

You won't have problems getting seating at shows.  Reservations are available to book in advance about at the beginning of the month preceding your cruise for some shows and others there is no need to reserve.  There is always decent seating available if you arrive at least 15 minutes early for non-reserve shows in the main theatre.  

With younger kids, you may prefer the buffet for breakfast and may not utilize HH. I've never used the luggage valet but I think it is only $25 for non-suite passengers so you could still utilize it for a small fee. I rarely use room service and again, if you do,  you still can there is just a small fee attached.  As far as the two extra days being a drag on your energy... Only you can answer that.  Does a 7 day vacation seem to much for you?  If not I don't think a 7 day cruise will be either.  For me, I'm not even unwound until day four.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Coldwake said:

If my end goal is to not just have a good time but to get more cruises in the future, maybe "I'm not done yet I don't want to go home" is the exact reaction I should be going for!  😄

Even after 7 nights you may not want to go home, but you'll at least feel like you've gotten a vacation.

The first couple days for your first cruise will be spent figuring out logistics of navigating a ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Coldwake said:

Seems unanimous so far!

IMO, Yes you are . 

7 nights over 5 every time !

Cheers

Edited by LobsterStalker
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Coldwake said:

If my end goal is to not just have a good time but to get more cruises in the future, maybe "I'm not done yet I don't want to go home" is the exact reaction I should be going for!  

The problem will be that unless you book Icon for the second sailing, that second sailing may be a let down if you go on Wonder as the first sailing.

Biker, who would consider other options.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Coldwake said:

You will definitely get that reaction on Wonder (and any Oasis-class ship). There is so much to see and do in the ship, it's impossible to do it all in one week. 

I haven't sailed Indy but I've sailed her sister ship Liberty and find it a nice size ship for a first time cruisers. But if the $$$ value is the same, I'll always opt for longer cruise.

Is this also your first time cruising? What are the port-of-calls?

• Thanks 1

My 2 cents: the 7 day plus the newer ship make Wonder the winner for this first family cruise! 

We've been on lots of cruises, and pretty much love them all, but i always prefer at LEAST one week to fully wind down and relax. The shorter cruises to me always leave us wanting another day or two!

We started out cruising 10 years ago in a balcony, so i was spoiled right away with never wanting to do an inside cabin! Now we've expanded our criteria to suites when we can get them/afford them, and i admit i love the extra amenities BUT your family won't know what they're missing and they'll be so wowed by Wonder and all the fun things to do!

I didn't see what ports you have on Wonder....? but, imo for the shorter cruise - i don't like Nassau, but Labadee is great!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The problem will be that unless you book Icon for the second sailing, that second sailing may be a let down if you go on Wonder as the first sailing.

Biker, who would consider other options.

It does set a pretty high standard that might be tough to beat.

Unless they want to go smaller and more intimate - without the kiddo's - as a second sailing.

• Like 1

Well I think the answer is pretty clear!  😂

To answer some of the questions- I've only cruised once before.  It was a Princess Cruises (Sun princess when it was brand new in 1999 and 77.5k was a huge ship) and I was a senior in HS.  So to say things have changed is an understatement.

For Ports of Call for Wonder- 

• Perfect Day at CocoCay , Bahamas
  • Cozumel , Mexico
  • Roatan , Honduras
  • Puerto Costa Maya , Mexico

The Perfect Day seems like the absolute best port for young kids.  I've been to Cozumel and Costa Maya for all inclusives before, so I'm familiar with potential excursions or things to do there and think I can find good things to do with the kids.  Roatan, not as sure.

And I guess when I said I wasn't considering any other itinerary's it had more to do with the $$ value for the trip.  For example, I figured why pay similar or more for another Oasis class for example when I could do Wonder.  But if someone has a better suggestion I would hear it out.  I'm stuck with March or April because I want to go during colder weather at home (Milwaukee) but my youngest turns 3 first week of March (putting her in adventure ocean w/ oldest) but also take advantage of kids sale free promotions... which takes out most of March.  But also, March madness is one of my favorite times of year (GO Marquette!!) which leaves me with 1st week of March or April as my sailing timeframe.

Thank you all for your input!!

Edited by Coldwake
  • Like 2

I'll be the opposing viewpoint. 

I just got off the Wonder with my 6 & 8 year old. They absolutely loved everything about it, but it was a lot and the crowds were a bit overwhelming to me at times. I would have been happy with 5 days. 7 days was definitely a long time, and my kids are a bit older than yours will be. 

We also spent a lot more time in the room than I anticipated due to very necessary naps (sometimes multiple), so I was glad we had a Junior Suite as a balcony might have felt a bit cramped.

The Wonder is an amazing ship, but I think for a first experience with young children, you could definitely go smaller/simpler and still have the "WOW" factor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coldwake said:

Here's the deal.  I decided for sure to do RCL and I know I want to go early April 2024 on either a 5 night on IOS in a grand suite or 7 night on WOS in a guarantee OVB .  We are going with our two girls, aged 3 and 5 at the time.  Price is very similar between the two and right in line with the budget.

Is 7 night in an OVB guarantee on Indy not an option?  That'd be a full week + a lower price.  OR, if Indy's only offering short sailings, consider a Back-to-Back; that is, staying onboard for a second trip.  

We sailed Indy recently and LOVED IT.  It does not feel "older" in any way ... it has Playmakers and Fish & Ships, things my husband and I like a lot.  Lots for kids to do, and your kids are both old enough for the kids' club.  

I'm sailing Wonder for the first time soon, but can't give personal opinions at the moment.  

With the shorter trip, it is long enough to get settled in and a good taste of what it's like to go on a family cruise

You'll have to fly?  It makes little sense to fly in for less than a week. 

And you absolutely need a night-before hotel.  

I'm worried about the length of cruise with the young kids wearing us out and thus making my wife not want to Cruise again

Thought 1:  Prepping for a cruise with small children is absolutely work.  Packing is a real chore.  If you want to "win her over", do your share. 

Thought 2:  One of the first things you must do on Day 1 is register your kids for the Kids' Club.  They'll love it, and that'll give you a break from child care.  You can even drop them off to have dinner with their little friends, while you two have a meal to yourselves.  

Thought 3:  Choose your excursions with children carefully.  Don't do something that'll be overly taxing.  

I also have a small window where kids sale free promotion is active and also the kids are 3 and 5 (and can thus be in adventure ocean together).

Thought 1:  That Kids Sail Free Promotion is available about every other week.  My children are adults now, but I think I see it all the time.  

Thought 2:  Having the kids in the same "club" is a worthwhile endeavor.  

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

The problem with booking a suite for your first cruise is that you'll want to always book a suite.

Disagree.  We enjoy all sorts of rooms -- depends upon the specific cruise, the length of the cruise, who's traveling with us, etc. 

When our kids were small, we always sailed in a balcony -- our theory being that it was the cheapest way to get an extra "room".  Once they were teens (and our salaries were larger), we started doing connecting rooms.  Now that we're empty nesters, we mostly sail in insides. 

One of the things I like best about how we raised our children is that they appreciate what they have /don't waste time wishing they were doing something more fancy.  They are happy /know how to behave at a 5-star oceanfront resort -- but they are also happy camping in a national park.  

Totally.  I'd take 2 extra days over those small benefits 100Xs.  

Specific thoughts: 

- Because we have a long drive ahead of us, we always do Self-Disembarkation.  We get in line just before 7:00 and are typically in our car headed north around 7:30.  Admittedly, it'll be harder with small children.  Something I saw on a recent cruise that made me say, "That family's got its act together" -- a father was pulling a collapsable wagon that contained two toddler boys + a couple backpacks, while mom followed (carrying an infant) walked behind watching the boys.  I'm sure they used that wagon for beach days too.  If I still had small children, I'd totally board with a wagon.  

- If I had small children again, I'd plan to take them to the MDR maybe 2Xs for dinner.  To emphasize nice manners, let them feel they were doing something special.  I'd put them in the kids' club so my husband and I could have an alone dinner a couple times.  And I'd go to the buffet for most dinners -- easier with small children.  

- You might consider taking the kids to the MDR for lunches on Sea Days.  Still white table cloths and service (and the lessons for children that come with all that), but it's faster.  When my girls were young, we practiced at home before a cruise -- talked about sitting quietly, speaking up in a big girl voice when the waiter asks what you want, etc.  

- On a recent cruise I went to a show alone, and I claimed a seat up in the balcony.  After I was seated, I realized I was in the "reserved seating".  I looked around and noticed some people I'd spoken to earlier /knew weren't in a suite.  They were in the same area.  No one was monitoring.  And they weren't superior seats.    

- You might have trouble with seats at the Ice Show or the Comedy Show -- if you try to show up at the last minute.  

- Free luggage valet?  You can drop off your suitcases before boarding, and they go to your room -- no charge.  If you want them hauled off the ship, that's no charge as well -- though you then have to search through a sea of all-black luggage to find your stuff. 

58 minutes ago, Coldwake said:

I was going to say the same thing!  

54 minutes ago, rsuther223 said:

However, I would not do a balcony guarantee if I want to impress someone with cruising.  Pick your own room, it is worth the extra cost, trust me I am speaking from experience.

Disagree.  Unless you're booking a year or more out and can snag a really prime aft balcony, I would rather save /let them pick my room.  The savings are real.  We've never been disappointed in our room.  We usually end up mid-ship on Deck 6, which isn't a particularly popular deck, but it's our favorite now because it's only one floor up from the Promenade.  

52 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I rarely use room service and again, if you do,  you still can there is just a small fee attached.

We never use room service, but we usually do bring some ziplocks so we can keep cheese and crackers (from the buffet) in our room.  

You could order a lot of room service with the price difference between a balcony and a suite.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DoraDee622 said:

The Wonder is an amazing ship, but I think for a first experience with young children, you could definitely go smaller/simpler and still have the "WOW" factor. 

The line between "WOW" and overwhelming can be hard to determine.  

• Thanks 1

As a dad of a 5 year old I would absolutely choose Wonder. The on board splash pad and "kid activities" are worth it. As stated above 7 nights over 5 every time! Sometimes 7 nights feels like it's just getting started before it's time to line up the bags in the hallway. 

• Thanks 2