Nonsensical Dress Code

ggo85

13 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Everyone is different. 

If it’s a TA flight of 7-8 hours you still wear a jacket the whole flight? Some flights become pretty hot. And not all airlines have an option to give the jacket to the crew to hang it.

What happens when you arrive and it’s 30c outside? Still wear it?

Those are completely honest questions. We will be on the Dawn in December sailing from Ft. Lauderdale. We started travelling with carry on only recently, and it will be our first time that I have to take a jacket. I hate jackets, but I intend to comply with the dress code despite considering it absurd, but also want to find a solution that is not too inconvenient. In May we will be on the Spirit from Venice, and will have the same issue, this time on TA flight.

Eddie Bauer has a great men’s sport coat/blazer in their “Traveler” collection. It’s made out of a performance fabric that is great. When required, my H brings this and wears it in the plane. It resists wrinkles well.

13 hours ago, ggo85 said:

Once again, my original post was directed to “informal” dress on port nights.   I don’t understand why so many here find it so critical to force everyone to dress up on port nights.  If you want to wear a tux after being out all day, do it!  Just don’t make me do it.  That’s all I’m asking.  

I agree with you and this sentiment applies to “formal optional” nights as well.

20 hours ago, ak1004 said:

And the fact that they changed it on the Nova is probably a hint that most SS guests do want the change.

So for men the only choices are tuxedo/suit or shorts and t-shirt? Nothing in between?

Pretty amazing that dress code loyalists bring the shorts and t-shirt example every single time. 

Is it even politically correct anymore to suggest men wear tuxedos/suits and women wear dresses/pant suits? 😐

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ak1004 said:

That's a very good advice - but my understanding is it's not free (unless certain level of suite and/or loyalty)? Any idea about the cost? Is it possible to just request a steamer?

Seems that anyone who can afford an international flight and a cruise on SS should be able to cover a dry-cleaning, pressing or laundry fee.  Shouldn’t be a roadblock for most people.  

I’ve travelled up to a month with carry-on sized luggage even though I usually check it anyway.  We have less tolerance for schlepping these days.  I don’t mind paying for laundry service as it seems a minor expense after spending tens of thousands on the entire trip. Another pro-tip is to pack clothes/shoes that you would readily jettison along the way to create space for purchases along the way.

• Like 3

On 11/12/2023 at 10:24 AM, commodoredave said:

It was taken by the CDCA -- Cruise Dress Code Authority. They are vigilant, and have a huge warehouse filled with photos of people who break the dress code. On one occasion I inadvertently wore mismatched socks. They threated to keel haul me!

No worries about mismatched socks - as long as you didn't leave those socks draped over the back of a chair to "reserve" it.  😄

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, AveSaloon said:

Data point:  Formal night on the Spirit.  Gentleman in Atlantide sitting with jacket off, but with his Australian cowboy hat on.

Australian men shouldn't wear cowboy hats. They should wear Akubras. And if from the land the older and more battered the better.

That fellow is a disgrace to his country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone from RCI and SS is watching- I want to weigh jn that your up and coming customers, the ones like us who might be your customers for the next 20-30 years, don’t want formal anything!

I’ve booked an expedition cruise on SS in Antarctica only after my TA PROMISED me there are no dress expectations on this cruise. If we discover there is, we are out on future SS expedition cruises and if they continue this on their other cruises, we won’t be booking them, even if we have a fabulous experience in Antarctica. So it might work for current clients for as long as they are still able to travel, but I’d imagine they’ll need to make a change to attract new/younger passengers.  I will be  watching with interest! 

• Like 8

On our last 3 cruises Dawn, Moon and Muse the people more likely to try it on at restaurants on formal nights were usually older persons. and i mean older than me. I am 77.

All of our first few cruises were Expedition cruises.definitely no formal nights.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Familygoboston said:

I will be  watching with interest!

You already know about the relaxed dress code on the expedition voyages.  

I also find the new dress code for Silver Nova to be acceptable.  I'm waiting for the announcement that this will be extended to the new sister ship Silver Ray (and I have a cruise in mind to book).  

The oldest ships (Cloud, Wind, Shadow – and they didn't mention it but I'm assuming also Whisper) have a sell-by date of 2030/32:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2971226-muse-qa-with-the-silversea-heirarchy/

The old dress code may stay on them until they raise another flag or hit the shore in Turkey.

That leaves Spirit, Muse, Moon and Dawn – after Ray debuts I wonder how long it will be before they move to the new code.  But Silversea could drag out the old Celebrity graphic that divides between 'Classic Luxury' and 'Modern Luxury.'

So choose wisely...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You already know about the relaxed dress code on the expedition voyages.  

I also find the new dress code for Silver Nova to be acceptable.  I'm waiting for the announcement that this will be extended to the new sister ship Silver Ray (and I have a cruise in mind to book).  

The oldest ships (Cloud, Wind, Shadow – and they didn't mention it but I'm assuming also Whisper) have a sell-by date of 2030/32:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2971226-muse-qa-with-the-silversea-heirarchy/

The old dress code may stay on them until they raise another flag or hit the shore in Turkey.

That leaves Spirit, Muse, Moon and Dawn – after Ray debuts I wonder how long it will be before they move to the new code.  But Silversea could drag out the old Celebrity graphic that divides between 'Classic Luxury' and 'Modern Luxury.'

So choose wisely...

Good to know! I love a good dress up night, and we often do, but not with long port days, on a destination focused cruise, I’m not on the ship for social reasons, but to see the places where the ship goes. I will have to follow the changes (or not changes carefully!) thanks for the heads up! 

• Like 2

On 12/7/2023 at 2:48 PM, Familygoboston said:

In case anyone from RCI and SS is watching- I want to weigh jn that your up and coming customers, the ones like us who might be your customers for the next 20-30 years, don’t want formal anything!

I’ve booked an expedition cruise on SS in Antarctica only after my TA PROMISED me there are no dress expectations on this cruise. If we discover there is, we are out on future SS expedition cruises and if they continue this on their other cruises, we won’t be booking them, even if we have a fabulous experience in Antarctica. So it might work for current clients for as long as they are still able to travel, but I’d imagine they’ll need to make a change to attract new/younger passengers.  I will be  watching with interest! 

So well said. Completely agree. I hate dressing up. So really hoping there are more changes to continue to relax the dress code on the Nova before Oct 1st.  I would be really happy to be able to ditch the jacket. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brad1185 said:

I hate dressing up.

Then why choose a cruise that requires/expects dressing up when there are other cruise lines that do not? There are some passengers who actually do like dressing up and choose cruise lines accordingly.

• Like 15

On 12/7/2023 at 5:48 PM, Familygoboston said:

If you dress on an expedition cruise the way you are in your picture, you will be dressed nicer than 75% of your fellow passengers. Antarctica on the Cloud in the MDR was mostly collared long-sleeved shirts, sweaters, basic blouses and any long pants of your choosing. It was too cold for anything less.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, taxatty said:

If you dress on an expedition cruise the way you are in your picture, you will be dressed nicer than 75% of your fellow passengers. Antarctica on the Cloud in the MDR was mostly collared long-sleeved shirts, sweaters, basic blouses and any long pants of your choosing. It was too cold for anything less.

That was the only reason I booked SS, totally casual for dinner in Antarctica or any destination heavy/ expedition trip. My post was to weigh in- as a person with a solid 25-30 years of travel (🙏hopefully) ahead, I want casual 24/7, not sloppy tank tops, but expedition clothes or I won’t book. If SS thinks they have 25-30 years of market for dressing up then they should by all means run their ships that way! And I love to dress and often DO on cruises where it’s optional! But I vote with my feet, and I’m just letting anyone monitoring where my feet (and wallet) will be going! 🥰

Edited by Familygoboston
  • Like 3

I’m just delighted that we have sailed with Siversea before having read this thread. 

We had an amazing time. Dressed as appropriate (very understated) within OUR comfort zone. Never once felt out of place … (if others thought our dress was inappropriate then that was their problem!)

We are really looking forward to another Silversea cruise but I do think that the ‘old timers’ should relax a little. Times are moving on!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

I’m just delighted that we have sailed with Siversea before having read this thread. 

We had an amazing time. Dressed as appropriate (very understated) within OUR comfort zone. Never once felt out of place … (if others thought our dress was inappropriate then that was their problem!)

We are really looking forward to another Silversea cruise but I do think that the ‘old timers’ should relax a little. Times are moving on!

I sailed with Silversea for the first time this year, and I am under 70 years of age.  On classic ships, I like the dress code and I like to bring my dressier clothes. However, what I call casual, others would call semi-formal.  There is room to move within the suggested guidelines. I leave my cool cotton short dresses for expedition cruises.

17 minutes ago, Port Power said:

I sailed with Silversea for the first time this year, and I am under 70 years of age.  On classic ships, I like the dress code and I like to bring my dressier clothes. However, what I call casual, others would call semi-formal.  There is room to move within the suggested guidelines. I leave my cool cotton short dresses for expedition cruises.

This just brings up another issue …. what  is formal/casual, … depends on your country of origin! 

I have no problem with some passengers wanting all casual, all formal or any mix of any type of dress code. Where I do have a problem is with some passengers virtually insisting that the cruise line changes their dress code to suit these passengers - whichever way they would like the code to be.

There are many cruise lines out there and within those cruise lines there are numerous variations of dress codes. There are two very simple options:

1. You find a cruise line that has a dress code that suits your requirements

2. If you want to go on any specific cruise line because of itinerary then you accept the dress code of that cruise line.

It really is that simple

• Like 12

On 12/7/2023 at 5:48 PM, Familygoboston said:

Speak for yourself.  

I’m 45 and plan to continue to be a Silversea customer for the next 20-30 years and I want the dress code to stay exactly as it is. And be enforced. 

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, GaitherBill said:

Speak for yourself.  

I’m 45 and plan to continue to be a Silversea customer for the next 20-30 years and I want the dress code to stay exactly as it is. And be enforced. 

Same here, I’m 48 and love the dress code. The assumption that all “younger” clientele wants casual is a misnomer. For those that do, there are plenty of alternatives. 

• Like 9

Can I put an end to the never-ending dress code debate.  I think every man in the world has a pair of chinos and a blue blazer.  That works for everything, formal, informal, casual. Just pack  the 2 items and wear them all the time if you choose.  Woman.  Same deal, I think every woman in the world has a little black dress.  It also works everywhere.  Issue settled, end of discussion, for ever.  😄

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2023 at 12:49 PM, chrism23 said:

Can I put an end to the never-ending dress code debate.  I think every man in the world has a pair of chinos and a blue blazer.  That works for everything, formal, informal, casual. Just pack  the 2 items and wear them all the time if you choose.  Woman.  Same deal, I think every woman in the world has a little black dress.  It also works everywhere.  Issue settled, end of discussion, for ever.  😄

Exactly, I can’t get over all the complaining. For the men, they have blazers now with this unique fabric that is almost entirely wrinkle resistant and very lightweight. You can crumple it up or whatever in your luggage, and when you unpack, hang it up overnight and any wrinkles are gone. I have two of these, one in dark charcoal and the other in camel. Takes up no space in luggage. Incredibly versatile. 

• Like 3