Looking for advice from experienced cruisers

CrossM2

13 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Also look for a porthole veranda on Apex.

That's what we have on our next cruise.  It's small  covered balcony but your room won't get hot.

Agree.  However a lot of movement in the front of the ship. The port hole verandas almost in the front of the ship.  Long walk to elevators.  But IMO better then the infinite veranda

• Like 1

Just now, Cruise a holic said:

Agree.  However a lot of movement in the front of the ship. The port hole verandas almost in the front of the ship.  Long walk to elevators.  But IMO better then the infinite veranda

and sunset veranda..aft...long walk to elevators too..can't be running back and forth as much but will get your steps in for sure

• Like 1

With over 100 cruises and 70 on X, I would pick the Apex. More room in cabin and more room on ship. Ships are all packed now. there is more entertainment and venues than reflection. We have been on both recently. The only way I would choose reflection is if I enjoyed breakfast and spent a lot of time on balcony. Then you pick Reflection. we love the infinity cabin, more room in room and can sit there and enjoy view.  Food is similar. Each has its advantages. I would choose Apex. If you want a balcony, when you are asked to bid on upgrade, bid on sunset and bid large and you might get it. 

51 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Also look for a porthole veranda on Apex.

That's what we have on our next cruise.  It's small  covered balcony but your room won't get hot.

I was curious about this because it looks like the porthole opens to a balcony?

• Like 1

If it were me, I would go with the Reflection.  As you stated, Reflection has the better itinerary.  I would rather visit places that peak my interest.  That was one of the reasons I switched to Celebrity years ago.  I am about to cap out on Celebrity ports and will be on the lookout for other lines that offer interesting and unique itineraries .  Don't get me wrong, I love the newer ships, but I can only visit the same location so many times

Edited by Illsticktocrusing

If I were going, I would choose either the Apex in either an Infinite veranda or a sky suite if the price was right. I would also strongly consider the Reflection because you said the itinerary is better, if a suite fit into my budget.

I am one of the people who have come to love the infinite verandas. They may just be a glorified window but they make the room seem soooo much bigger. I love that the extra space is climate controlled. It's cool when. you are in the Caribbean and warm when you are visiting Alaska.My husband likes to stand at the balcony railing and look down at the water every evening before he goes to bed, and he can do that in an IV.

I do want to warn you,though. If you go with the suite on Apex, you will be comparing all other cruises to that cruise. Just saying.

Edited by Tudy
more info
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, CrossM2 said:

Oh I know! I’m pretty open for costs, it seems most of what I’ve looked at is around the $5000 range per stateroom. That doesn’t include airfare. I’m comfortable with that but would be willing to spend more for the right cruise as it is a milestone birthday.

how would you define 'the right cruise' as I think this is the key to the answer you are looking for.   you will get lots of opinions and preferences from all of us but ultimately it is about you so how do you define the right cruise?    then we might have more feedback for you.  

8 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Not true.  Both forward and aft porthole veranda, some partially obstructed by window washing equipment.  Have read of noise issues with forward PHV being over crew lounge area.

We cruise for the itinerary.

We also like cabins near the elevators, and enjoyed very much our infinite verandas (Beyond #12220, Edge #12196). It was so nice seating in the bed and seeing the sea "go by".

Same with Reflection (#1132), we didn't find it crowded, and the itinerary - Iceland out of Dublin - was top notch.

Do not fancy walking the long corridors, and aim mainly being near the aft elevators.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pennstatedj said:

With over 100 cruises and 70 on X, I would pick the Apex. More room in cabin and more room on ship. Ships are all packed now. there is more entertainment and venues than reflection. We have been on both recently. The only way I would choose reflection is if I enjoyed breakfast and spent a lot of time on balcony. Then you pick Reflection. we love the infinity cabin, more room in room and can sit there and enjoy view.  Food is similar. Each has its advantages. I would choose Apex. If you want a balcony, when you are asked to bid on upgrade, bid on sunset and bid large and you might get it. 

Thank you, I think we are down to Apex and Viva, Apex for Celebrity and it’s a new ship and Viva for itinerary.

11 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I was thinking about the last couple of times I sailed Celebrity. Since then I've been on Regent where the food by and large was excellent. 

I was looking at Seven Seas Splendor also but some in my group didn’t want to spend that for a 7 day. I’m not sure I wanted to either but it looks amazinf

11 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I was thinking about the last couple of times I sailed Celebrity. Since then I've been on Regent where the food by and large was excellent. 

2 hours ago, Woody14 said:

how would you define 'the right cruise' as I think this is the key to the answer you are looking for.   you will get lots of opinions and preferences from all of us but ultimately it is about you so how do you define the right cruise?    then we might have more feedback for you.  

Good question. I think I have narrowed it down to the two Celebrity ships and the Viva. I guess I’m just looking for peoples experiences so I can’t figure it out. It’s a bit confusing with the dining on celebrity as far as what is included with a regular veranda cabin for dining and what is extra .as well as what is included in your fare and what you have to have packages for or pay extra etc. 

Having sailed in an infinite veranda on the Edge- found it so small.  While you get a few extra feet IMO it seemed very narrow- also a few times during the cruise, the window was locked by the captain.  He/she can do it in bad weather or if windows  and side of ship are being cleaned .  We really were very disappointed.  It is truly a windowed cabin that works most of the time.  

Edited by Cruise a holic

On 10/30/2023 at 7:27 AM, Pennstatedj said:

Question for you, on sea days did you find it to be packed by pool areas? That has always been the biggest issue for us, people holding chairs and saving chairs.

On 10/29/2023 at 7:09 PM, CrossM2 said:

do worry sleeping would be hard if it gets as hot as people say, was hoping to see some folks with experience with some of these things.

If you sleep with your balcony door open - which you're not supposed to do regardless of the type of balcony it is - then yes, the AC will shut off with the IV down.

I had a solo IV and had no issues - but then I didn't leave it down the whole time.

If you do decide to go on the NCL Viva, may I suggest booking it with the FAS Plus package. You’ll get 2 additional specialty restaurants, totaling 4, an extra $50 for the second person on any excursions you book on the 7 port cruise, water and all the Starbucks drinks for free, and unlimited internet, all for an additional $49 pp/day. Just a suggestion.

You also get to book your NCL cruise with a refundable deposit whereas with Celebrity, you have to pay an additional 20%. 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2023 at 10:46 PM, CrossM2 said:

It looks neat but I’m hearing a lot of complaints about it making the room hot.

If you like the idea of a balcony but never actually use it IV' s would be great.

IV reality :

open window aircon turns off.

Can't open window if blinds are down.

Chairs are low with no neck support- not typical lounger chairs 

No footrests

Captain can remotely shut and lock windows at any time.

Edited by the penguins
Typo and missing words

We like the IV.  True it is not a balc and is a narrow cabin,. but it  offers a  nice extra seating  space with indoor panorama view / an operable windiw

Bathrooms are great size..nice shower.

What is  the number of pax for each ship?  Celeb E class is a good size..lots to do but not overpacked! We would not he happy with anything larger than E Class..a long walk from here to there sometimes!

5 hours ago, hcat said:

We like the IV.  True it is not a balc and is a narrow cabin,. but it  offers a  nice extra seating  space with indoor panorama view / an operable windiw

Bathrooms are great size..nice shower.

What is  the number of pax for each ship?  Celeb E class is a good size..lots to do but not overpacked! We would not he happy with anything larger than E Class..a long walk from here to there sometimes!

Thank you, in some ways I wish I had just gone ahead and booked instead of trying to research as the reviews have my head spinning! The Viva holds more passengers and we are going to the Caribbean in April so I’m hoping it is not packed! It’s a 7 might.