Are you still adding cash gratuity on top of the automatic gratuities?

NightOne

9 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

I'm up in the air on this one as we were leaving the windjammer and an announcement (over the loudspeaker ) comes on and asks that we give them a 10 .... If it were not acceptable , I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a public service announcement ! ? 

Cheers

So the announcement you heard directly addressed the service and food in the Windjammer?  Are you sure you heard that correctly?  I've cruised 19 years on Royal and have never heard such an announcement. 

33 minutes ago, st5310 said:

So the announcement you heard directly addressed the service and food in the Windjammer?  Are you sure you heard that correctly?  I've cruised 19 years on Royal and have never heard such an announcement. 

This comment/furtherance of a discussion does not directly involve what @LobsterStalker stated.

I personally have never been asked directly for a good survey comment by an individual crew member or even by an announcement.  But, things can be asked for but not be asked for directly.  "If you enjoyed your service tonight, please remember us"!  I've enjoyed serving you, here is my name (he/she hands you a handwritten sheet with his/her name written on it or a business card).  We live and die by passenger comments on surveys.  And on and on!  I, personally, don't have a problem with a crew member asking for a good survey comment, it shows initiative and motivation.  What I don't like are those crew members/employees, in general, asking for positive actions when they have been everything but positive and they know it.  

43 minutes ago, st5310 said:

We've heard announcements (regarding surveys/10)...many times...in the Windjammer and even in the MDR.

* Haven't heard any announcements in 15 days aboard the Symphony...but have been asked to do the survey at CK, MDR, and yesterday at JR.

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

This comment/furtherance of a discussion does not directly involve what @LobsterStalker stated.

I personally have never been asked directly for a good survey comment by an individual crew member or even by an announcement.  But, things can be asked for but not be asked for directly.  "If you enjoyed your service tonight, please remember us"!  I've enjoyed serving you, here is my name (he/she hands you a handwritten sheet with his/her name written on it or a business card).  We live and die by passenger comments on surveys.  And on and on!  I, personally, don't have a problem with a crew member asking for a good survey comment, it shows initiative and motivation.  What I don't like are those crew members/employees, in general, asking for positive actions when they have been everything but positive and they know it.  

I disagree.  LobsterStalker stated he (she) heard an announcement specifically requesting that guests award a 10.  How much more directly involved could my comment/question have been?  It's one thing to be solicited personally at the table, and quite another to be solicited over the ship's PA system.  I have never heard the latter in my 20+ Royal cruises.  

I have also heard similar requests to "remember us" and/or "we live and die by passenger comments."  To your point, those statements in my experience have always been personal, at the table.  Not over the ship's PA system.  Nothing wrong with that.  That was why I posted the original comment that staff covet those positive reviews, maybe even more than tips. 

• Like 1

It's a bit awkward and uncomfortable for me when they do that spiel so part-way through the cruise I told my cabin attendant and waiters "listen, don't worry, I'm giving you a 10 on the survey so you don't have to ask me." 

I do tip them as I go.

I imagine someone will disapprove of this practice but I don't care. 🙂

Edited by goldfish65
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, st5310 said:

100 % . 

I have also been cruising many years and this was the first and only time that I had heard this .

It was quite unmistakable . I have always wondered what the right answer to the question was on the survey where they say "did anyone ask you for a positive review " , or something to that effect.

I was always wondering if I get them in trouble if I mention it , but after hearing it over the P.A. I determined it is standard practice and now I'm wondering if they get in trouble if they don't Beg for their 10's.

Cheers

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LobsterStalker said:

100 % . 

I have also been cruising many years and this was the first and only time that I had heard this .

It was quite unmistakable . I have always wondered what the right answer to the question was on the survey where they say "did anyone ask you for a positive review " , or something to that effect.

I was always wondering if I get them in trouble if I mention it , but after hearing it over the P.A. I determined it is standard practice and now I'm wondering if they get in trouble if they don't Beg for their 10's.

Cheers

Roger that.  Thank you for the clarification.  DW and I have a series of B2Bs coming up on Anthem, so I shall pay closer attention to the announcements.

We regularly get asked for 10's by the MDR staff. I can't remember the last time we haven't.  Something along the lines of...  "If you liked the Main Dining Room service and food, please remember that you'll be getting a survey after your cruise.  When you rate the Main Dining Room, that directly relates to our service and reflects us personally. It is very important to us.  The scores go up to 10, and a 10 is very important to us, so please, if you liked your service please consider giving us a 10"

We are very fun, friendly folks at dinner and easy to please (not saying others aren't), so maybe they feel more comfortable asking us?

Rarely have heard it in the buffet, but we've heard it there too.

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

We regularly get asked for 10's by the MDR staff. I can't remember the last time we haven't.  Something along the lines of...  "If you liked the Main Dining Room service and food, please remember that you'll be getting a survey after your cruise.  When you rate the Main Dining Room, that directly relates to our service and reflects us personally. It is very important to us.  The scores go up to 10, and a 10 is very important to us, so please, if you liked your service please consider giving us a 10"

We are very fun, friendly folks at dinner and easy to please (not saying others aren't), so maybe they feel more comfortable asking us?

I don't mind them asking like some people do. However, on the last several cruises we break the ice ourselves by telling our waiters:

"After we get off the ship tomorrow you will receive a survey about how we were as guests this week, We need you to puts 10s across the board. Not 9s or below but 10s"

We all have a good laugh and they don't bother with their survey pitch. 🙂

We also don't let things fester so if there is an issue with the waiters we have already addressed it during the week. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, NightOne said:

I don't mind them asking like some people do. However, on the last several cruises we break the ice ourselves by telling our waiters:

"After we get off the ship tomorrow you will receive a survey about how we were as guests this week, We need you to puts 10s across the board. Not 9s or below but 10s"

We all have a good laugh and they don't bother with their survey pitch. 🙂

We also don't let things fester so if there is an issue with the waiters we have already addressed it during the week. 

We do something similar.  Typically as soon as they start their request we just stop them and say “no worries all 10’s” (if they deserve it) and have a good laugh.  😀

Our last cruise the waiter was pretty funny and said “the scores go from one to ten but the only correct answer is 10.”  (In a friendly fun way

We really don’t mind too much either because we know the drill, we also know just to stop it short and let them know they are fine.  10’s.  It’s been almost 10 years since we’ve run into a wait staff that didn’t deserve it and even then it was probably 7-8’s

• Like 1

10 hours ago, st5310 said:

I disagree.  LobsterStalker stated he (she) heard an announcement specifically requesting that guests award a 10.  How much more directly involved could my comment/question have been?  It's one thing to be solicited personally at the table, and quite another to be solicited over the ship's PA system.  I have never heard the latter in my 20+ Royal cruises.  

I have also heard similar requests to "remember us" and/or "we live and die by passenger comments."  To your point, those statements in my experience have always been personal, at the table.  Not over the ship's PA system.  Nothing wrong with that.  That was why I posted the original comment that staff covet those positive reviews, maybe even more than tips. 

I don't know what there is to disagree with.  I went out of my way to separate my comment(s) from @LobsterStalker's comments, not that there was anything wrong the them.  Then I gave my experience and I gave my opinion.  I did not disagree with your post, I just stated my experience and opinion(s).

11 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I don't know what there is to disagree with.  I went out of my way to separate my comment(s) from @LobsterStalker's comments, not that there was anything wrong the them.  Then I gave my experience and I gave my opinion.  I did not disagree with your post, I just stated my experience and opinion(s).

You had written: "This comment/furtherance of a discussion does not directly involve what @LobsterStalker stated."  That is what I disagreed with.  Not with your other comments/opinions.

2 minutes ago, st5310 said:

You had written: "This comment/furtherance of a discussion does not directly involve what @LobsterStalker stated."  That is what I disagreed with.  Not with your other comments/opinions.

The purpose/premise of what I wrote was to state that @LobsterStalker's post had no influence on my opinion or experience.  I did not agree or disagree with you or @LobsterStalker, I only stated my opinion/experience.  Again, I don't understand the disagreement.  At least it wasn't "disagreeable", in my opinion. 

So, the only inference I can make is that you don't think @LobsterStalker's post had anything to do with influencing my opinion/experience?  

The servers of course requested 10s on our last cruise, but I was surprised when our bar server asked to 'please remember us by name on the survey' and pointed to their badge. I don't have a problem with that; there are probably a lot of people that don't realize it makes a difference to them.

21 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I agree. 20+ cruises on Royal and we are asked everytime. I usually joke and say one is the best rating correct. They don’t take the joke well. I have always given a 10. In my estimation the head waiters should decide whether the staff are doing a decent job. Dont make me determine their fate as employees.

Edited by tottenhamfc
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

The purpose/premise of what I wrote was to state that @LobsterStalker's post had no influence on my opinion or experience.  I did not agree or disagree with you or @LobsterStalker, I only stated my opinion/experience.  Again, I don't understand the disagreement.  At least it wasn't "disagreeable", in my opinion. 

So, the only inference I can make is that you don't think @LobsterStalker's post had anything to do with influencing my opinion/experience?  

I misread the intent of your statement and for that I apologize.  Thanks for clarifying.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tottenhamfc said:

I agree. 20+ cruises on Royal and we are asked everytime. I usually joke and say one is the best rating correct. They don’t take the joke well. I have always given a 10. In my estimation the head waiters should decide whether the staff are doing a decent job. Dont make me determine their fate as employees.

Just Curious , In 20+ years cruising , Is it your belief that everyone of those servers ( and I know the service is usually quite adequate ) ,but do you believe they all deserved absolute top scores ? ... Or are you like me and the guilt/compassion is what truly guides your score . 

Though I have been guilty of this in the past , I will no longer . If the service warrants a 10 it will receive a 10 , but if it doesn't I will no longer score with my heart . 

I believe this makes for a flawed system , and I am not falling into the trap anymore .  Overall dining standards have fallen too far .

Cheers

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

Just Curious , In 20+ years cruising , Is it your belief that everyone of those servers ( and I know the service is usually quite adequate ) ,but do you believe they all deserved absolute top scores ? ... Or are you like me and the guilt/compassion is what truly guides your score . 

Though I have been guilty of this in the past , I will no longer . If the service warrants a 10 it will receive a 10 , but if it doesn't I will no longer score with my heart . 

I believe this makes for a flawed system , and I am not falling into the trap anymore .  Overall dining standards have fallen too far .

Cheers

Dont disagree but in all fairness I have never had a waiter that would grade an F. A is perfection in my mind but BC or D is inadequate for the waiter to retain employment according to them. On the basis that they are not failures I feel that I do not want to be responsible for losing their job. RCL should be reviewing themselves and only respond to complaints from customers. If we tip extra then that determines the quality of the service. I have more concern with food TBH. It has definitely deteriorated post covid and with fares going up it means we have to cut corners also. That can only be in the tip category. No loss to RCL though.

Surveys (10's), are important to crew members because:

* They can be rewarded with time off. (not a day off but perhaps an exrra hour off)

* Better assignments. (perhaps more tables)

* Free internet.

* A free meal to a specialty restaurant.

* Extra cash.

* A promotion.

We ate at Izumi tonight and observed numerous plates of sushi being made just before the restaurant closed...so we asked where it was going. The AMD said it was for "Employee Appreciation Night". They were also serving other dishes from the other specialty restaurants.

On 11/9/2023 at 6:58 AM, vjmatty said:

Sounds like people have differing experiences on different ships at different times. Just like the call center.

Exactly!  And, by the way, EVERY time I’ve called the call center (at least 10-15 times), my call has been picked up right away, and they immediately resolve whatever I’ve called about 🙂

43 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Exactly!  And, by the way, EVERY time I’ve called the call center (at least 10-15 times), my call has been picked up right away, and they immediately resolve whatever I’ve called about 🙂

and now you just whammied yourself LOL

• Haha 1

We always prepay gratuities and were not surprised about the increases. We will continue to tip in cash for those who provide us with excellent service. We usually tip in cash to those bringing our drinks and I like to tip the baristas who make my caramel macchiatos each morning. Sadly, I almost never see anyone tip them; they are usually very busy at the cafe and try to make everyone's favorite coffee quickly. Not bragging; I enjoy tipping them talking to them, and seeing them smile and wave when they see me! The special coffee warms my tummy but their smiles warm my heart! Long story short, everyone is free to tip or not to tip! Cheers!

• Like 7