Celebrity Eclipse Aqua Class to Aqua Sky Suite Worth it? 14 Day Antarctica Cruise

Encapsulated

Going to Antarctica on a 14 day cruise and received the move-up email today.

Was somehow comped 14 days in Aqua Class Room with Drinks, Internet, and Gratuity Already Included - Taxes and Fees were $800 for 2.

Booked all my excursions during July 4th Sale for half off and spent about a total of $2000 on excursions - also applied my share holder benefits for $250 OBC.

Received move-up offer today, is it worth $600 Per Person to upgrade to AquaClass Sky Suite for 14 days? I've upgraded before on both RCL and CCL and I know the process, I feel that under $50/per person per day is worth it since there's so many Sea days on this sailing.

I've never sailed retreat class and tried Luminae, how does it compare to Blu? Was recently on RCL and felt that Coastal Kitchen really went down the drain.

Currently in the process of closing on a house and trying to save $$ for renovations and this sailing would occur right after I move - was about to cancel the cruise, but felt that it would be criminal to do so on such a great deal. If I wasn't closing on a home and trying to save, I would probably bid on the Royal Suite.

Upgrades.JPG

Edited by Encapsulated

I believe the OP is currently in an Aqua Class cabin not a Aqua Sky Suite.

We prefer the Blu menu to the Luminae menu.  The Eclipse has not been revolutionized so no Retreat Sun Deck.  The minimum bid is low considering it is a 14 night sailing.  With Move Up you do not get the Premium wi-fi or premium beverage package, or the points for a Sky Suite.

You will be charged the $4.50 pp per night in the higher gratuities.  

Only you can decide if it is worth it.  No guarantee a minimum bid will be successful. 

4 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

IMO I would stay put in a sky suite- Aqua  sky suite not worth any additional.  Save your money and try a couple of specialty restaurants.

38 minutes ago, 39august said:

Absolutely not worth it. Same cabin, same Retreat benefits. Slightly different location, further forward. You can dine in Blu from any suite, space available. Unless you are a BIG spa person, no benefit that I can see. 

To be clear, OP would be bidding on moving up from AQ (non-Retreat) to AS (Retreat). I think at <$100 pn, it's easily worth it.

• Thanks 1

You received a move up “offer”. It doesn’t mean that you are going to get it for the minimum or at any extra cost. 

If you could get the cabin upgrade to a suite from Aqua for $600 pp that would be $1200 total plus the extra in difference for gratuities.   That is a little less than $100/day.   You get a larger cabin, some lunches in Luminae and some other amenities.  Embarkation and disembarkation priorities. 

You will keep the same perks you booked  but not those that come with a suite.  

It is only up to you to decide if you are willing to pay $1200 or more than what you planned on.  If it was me I would go for it and add a little to the minimum amount.  

Happy cruising. 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

IMO I would stay put in a sky suite- Aqua  sky suite not worth any additional.  Save your money and try a couple of specialty restaurants.

Currently in a Aqua Class Balcony Room, it's actually cheaper/lower min bid for Aqua Sky Suite vs Regular Sky Suite.

On 11/1/2023 at 10:43 AM, miched said:

You received a move up “offer”. It doesn’t mean that you are going to get it for the minimum or at any extra cost. 

If you could get the cabin upgrade to a suite from Aqua for $600 pp that would be $1200 total plus the extra in difference for gratuities.   That is a little less than $100/day.   You get a larger cabin, some lunches in Luminae and some other amenities.  Embarkation and disembarkation priorities. 

You will keep the same perks you booked  but not those that come with a suite.  

It is only up to you to decide if you are willing to pay $1200 or more than what you planned on.  If it was me I would go for it and add a little to the minimum amount.  

Happy cruising. 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Haven't tried retreat before on Celebrity, 14 days, bigger room I'm leaning towards go for it. My S/O asking me to hold back and save $$ for a new toilet, but it's like a once in a lifetime. I think better to ask for forgiveness.

Not sure why you need a new toilet, but I would opt for the toilet.
We have tried the Suite Life (more than once) and have decided booking an aft veranda and choosing to dine in specialty restaurants is preferred.  Now, class of ship does factor into this and on M class both specialty and retreat amenities are limited.  I guess if you want to try Luminae, now is a good opportunity.  Luminae for breakfast is great , for dinner , not so much (for us).  If we choose to travel in Retreat class again it will include many specialty restaurant nights as we don't care for Luminae 

3 minutes ago, OceanJewel said:

Not sure why you need a new toilet, but I would opt for the toilet.
We have tried the Suite Life (more than once) and have decided booking an aft veranda and choosing to dine in specialty restaurants is preferred.  Now, class of ship does factor into this and on M class both specialty and retreat amenities are limited.  I guess if you want to try Luminae, now is a good opportunity.  Luminae for breakfast is great , for dinner , not so much (for us).  If we choose to travel in Retreat class again it will include many specialty restaurant nights as we don't care for Luminae 

Its for 14 nights and upgrade is relatively cheap if I can get it near min bid. AquaSuite is about 17k vs AQ at 11-12k.

A lot of sea days on Antarctica Cruise, 10 Sea days and 5 port days.

9 minutes ago, Encapsulated said:

Its for 14 nights and upgrade is relatively cheap if I can get it near min bid. AquaSuite is about 17k vs AQ at 11-12k.

A lot of sea days on Antarctica Cruise, 10 Sea days and 5 port days.

You're saying $17K (or $11-12K)?  no brainer - stay with what you have! and purchase a 10 (or more) night dining package :)  Or just dine in Blu and purchase specialty if you don't like Blu

6 minutes ago, OceanJewel said:

You're saying $17K (or $11-12K)?  no brainer - stay with what you have! and purchase a 10 (or more) night dining package :)  Or just dine in Blu and purchase specialty if you don't like Blu

Just realized, I'm posting on the DW's login.  She doesn't post - she just lurks :)  

1 minute ago, OceanJewel said:

Just realized, I'm posting on the DW's login.  She doesn't post - she just lurks 🙂

Saying cruise was free but has retail value of 11k. If I paid 1.2k to upgrade or so, it would be a diff of 5k in value if I upgraded with cash.

8 minutes ago, Encapsulated said:

Saying cruise was free but has retail value of 11k. If I paid 1.2k to upgrade or so, it would be a diff of 5k in value if I upgraded with cash.

That is some 'very strange math', but I get it....  
Try it to see if you like it or not.  We did not find value in Retreat particularly on M class.
But, you're already ahead of the math curve, so it's like house money :)

Just now, OceanJewel said:

That is some 'very strange math', but I get it....  
Try it to see if you like it or not.  We did not find value in Retreat particularly on M class.
But, you're already ahead of the math curve, so it's like house money 🙂

Is $1200 worth for the following benefits for 14 days (with many sea days)

Larger room

Free Room Service

Luminae

Michaels Club

Any other benefits I'm missing?

Blu taste pretty ok, is Luminae much better?

8 minutes ago, Encapsulated said:

Is $1200 worth for the following benefits for 14 days (with many sea days)

Larger room   

Free Room Service

Luminae

Michaels Club

Any other benefits I'm missing?

Blu taste pretty ok, is Luminae much better?

There are many that prefer Blu over Luminae.  Personally I would spend the $1200 elsewhere and dine at Blu and add a 5 night specialty package (Tuscan + Murano are much better than Luminae imo)
But you may benefit from the other amenities - larger room if you are a larger person , uh the other stuff is like making par after you hit a bad drive - feels good but nothing special at the end of your round.

I recently  replaced the toilet in our basement lab.   I bought it on line from Costco.  It is a very nice toilet but not as good as the Toto that is in the main.  It is a single piece Kohler for $350.  Most places it sells for $500.  I like the single piece toilets as it eliminated the possible leak between the bowl and tank.  It also looks cleaner.  It was delivered to the house and they put in the basement.  Gave them a TIP  for doing that even though they weren’t expecting one.

You can find toilets for a little more than $100 at most major do it yourself stores.   Depending on what style you want and brand. 

Bought this from HD.  Would highly recommend.  Almost fool proof and no worry about the wax ring leaking.    It is a vey  simple installation.   The longest time was cleaning off the old caulk and sucking the water out of the toilet with a shop vac.  

There are many videos on UTube showing how to replace a toilet. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

IMG_0742.png

Edited by miched