Timing for Evening Cabin Service

On Serenade this past summer, we opted for evening cabin service. In all our years of cruising, the cabin steward would come while we were at dinner, and we mainly choose late seating. The cabin steward told us that he was off duty from 7:30 onwards, so if we wanted evening cabin service, it had to be prior to then. Since our dinner was at 8:00, we weren't planning on being out of the room prior to 7:30. We ended up changing to morning cabin service

Curious about other ships. Does evening cabin service end by 7:30 fleet wide?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

On Serenade this past summer, we opted for evening cabin service. In all our years of cruising, the cabin steward would come while we were at dinner, and we mainly choose late seating. The cabin steward told us that he was off duty from 7:30 onwards, so if we wanted evening cabin service, it had to be prior to then. Since our dinner was at 8:00, we weren't planning on being out of the room prior to 7:30. We ended up changing to morning cabin service

I would think so, they work basically all day so they probably have some sort of ending time. Our evening cleaning was usually done while we were at or just about to leave for dinner at 5pm. 

• Like 1

We’re currently on Odyssey TA and also have everything service and I’ve seen our room attendant in the hall on some nights until 9. 
Have you asked guest services to see if it’s just your attendant or it’s the whole ship? I know ours said most want morning and was happy we chose evening 

9 hours ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

Symphony now 5pm - 9pm

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

I would think so, they work basically all day so they probably have some sort of ending time. Our evening cleaning was usually done while we were at or just about to leave for dinner at 5pm. 

Was on 3 Ships last few Months and yes seen same with Room Attendants done/gone around 730pm. Guess it depends on Ship by other postings

7 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We’re currently on Odyssey TA and also have everything service and I’ve seen our room attendant in the hall on some nights until 9. 
Have you asked guest services to see if it’s just your attendant or it’s the whole ship? 

I didn't want to make a big deal about and draw focus to him. We are Diamond Plus, and they may have asked him to work during his off time, which is NOT what we wanted. Rather, as was the case on every other cruise we have been on for the past 25 years, I would have preferred the standard evening hours extend to when passengers who opt for late seating are at dinner.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Not all day, they have a longer break between lunch (depends how fast they end morning service) and dinner time. In total it is around standard 8 hours per day.

48 minutes ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

I didn't want to make a big deal about and draw focus to him. We are Diamond Plus, and they may have asked him to work during his off time, which is NOT what we wanted. Rather, as was the case on every other cruise we have been on for the past 25 years, I would have preferred the standard evening hours extend to when passengers who opt for late seating are at dinner.

Since they made this change we have always been asked if we prefer morning or evening and we have always chose evening. I do admit that on this cruise I don’t think we’re getting the same through servicing as the morning. There’s things I notice like we always have to ask for things that we’re running out of, and I don’t think our carpet has been vacuumed but I’m ok with what she’s doing. 

24 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Since they made this change we have always been asked if we prefer morning or evening and we have always chose evening. I do admit that on this cruise I don’t think we’re getting the same through servicing as the morning. There’s things I notice like we always have to ask for things that we’re running out of, and I don’t think our carpet has been vacuumed but I’m ok with what she’s doing. 

Another example of raising the gratuities and lowering the service.

• Like 1

We were on Oasis the last week of October. We went to our room shortly after they opened and met our cabin steward soon after. When we asked for morning service he told us that he could not do morning for us as he said those spots were full so we had to take evening service. I wondered how this could be since we were talking to him so early. Anyway we didn't mind the evening service but a couple of times he knocked on our door at 4 pm wanting to do our cabin. As we had early dining this did not work for us. We asked him to come back after 5 pm which  he did as the cabin was fine when we came back after dinner. Really not sure how late he worked but I know he started at 4 pm if not earlier.

Edited by Jcol5786
Spelling

We cruise this weekend and usually spend more time in our rooms than the average passenger. I don’t mind once a day service, that’s all we often had prior to the change by choice so we wouldn’t be bothered and didn’t inconvenience the steward. But we are usually late sleepers/skip breakfast and relax/get ready evenings in the room prior to a late 8:30 dinner. I am not going to change my vacation to work around a cut back cleaning schedule, I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect them to work around my schedule for one cleaning a day, even if it is just clearing dishes and changing towels.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jcol5786 said:

We were on Oasis the last week of October. We went to our room shortly after they opened and met our cabin steward soon after. When we asked for morning service he told us that he could not do morning for us as he said those spots were full so we had to take evening service. I wondered how this could be since we were talking to him so early. Anyway we didn't mind the evening service but a couple of times he knocked on our door at 4 pm wanting to do our cabin. As we had early dining this did not work for us. We asked him to come back after 5 pm which  he did as the cabin was fine when we came back after dinner. Really not sure how late he worked but I know he started at 4 pm if not earlier.

I met my room steward as soon as rooms were opened . Asked for evening , and she asked what time would work. As we had early dining at 5:30 told her 6 PM and she said that was good. 3rd night she walks in on me pretty much in the raw at 5:10 P.M. 

...Side note , she did happen to be the worst steward I have encountered in 14 sailings. 

Cheers

On the Radiance right now, and this issue has really been plaguing us. Never saw the Cabin Steward on Day 1, and late afternoon day 2 our cabin still hadn’t been done, so we asked at Guest Services. They said cabins are done once per day, based on what we preferenced. But when we explained that no one ever talked to us, or asked our preferences, they made a flurry of phone calls. We were totally missed.

Meanwhile, we went back to our cabin to shower and change (it was 5pm), and suddenly there was a knock-knock-knock on the door. It was the Steward saying he was there to clean. He was very pleasant, and apologized that he hadn’t seen us, and explained he worked from 4-7 at night for cleaning. We asked if he could come in the morning since we are early-risers, and he apologized that those “slots were full.”

Needless to say, we were frustrated. Every night so far he’s tried to clean when we’ve been getting ready in the evening. And every morning when we get up, we make our own bed. 

He’s a nice guy, but this cabin schedule preference thing just isn’t based in good customer service.