Meraviglia 11/13-11/19 Bermuda YC Review Live

burdcats

20 minutes ago, Brighton Line said:

This is not heavy movement at all. They haven't even put out the sick bags or closed the outside decks. 

It feels awful. Maybe it’s the high deck. The room keeps shaking. This weather is supposed to happen all the way to Nassau. I don’t think I’ll be able to leave the room if so.

Looking at flights from Nassau to NY. Did not sign up for this. Can’t imagine two more sea days with weather like this. Movement is so bad it’s difficult to walk and the seas are pretty terrible. I can’t believe after avoiding Bermuda, this captain is going south to Nassau with weather forecasts like this. Gusts of 30 mph forecasted.

51 minutes ago, burdcats said:

This is awful. The ship is moving so much. I don’t think I will ever cruise again. The movement is so bad I’m rolling on the bed. Trying not to panic. This sucks 

I am absolutely amazed that your Captain approved/made the decisions to go to the Cape and Nassau... instead of Bermuda.   Look at the wind gust forecast for tomorrow morning... by 6AM you guys will be rocking harder than it is now trying to sail through 52 knot wind gusts.... but look at Bermuda (Hamilton) out to the east... 🤦‍♂️

I'm pretty sure, this is due to the slow @$$ WiFi on board Mera... your Captain probably could not get the weather forecast on his iPhone just like I couldn't get crap to download after having paid MSC $300 for 2 devices for Browse and SCREAM (ooops... I meant Browse and Stream...)

Brace yourself and hope you have some Dramamine... 😴

image.thumb.png.372f233afacc9adae6b5719ecd89159d.png

11 hours ago, burdcats said:

It feels awful. Maybe it’s the high deck. The room keeps shaking. This weather is supposed to happen all the way to Nassau. I don’t think I’ll be able to leave the room if so.

Upfront and high deck.....the worst part of the ship as far as movement.

I can't understand why YC and Haven (NCL) are there.  I guess, the view!

Pre becoming a loyal YCer....I always went "mid deck and low".

55 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Upfront and high deck.....the worst part of the ship as far as movement.

I can't understand why YC and Haven (NCL) are there.  I guess, the view!

Pre becoming a loyal YCer....I always went "mid deck and low".

One major reason why I would never sail Meraviglia again...  They put the YC area across the entire front of the ship on top decks.  And because I cannot afford to get YC, for a poor person like me (like Leonardo DiCaprio in Titanic 😁) are not able to go up front and view out the front of the ship as we're sailing away...  That is a sh1++y design of a ship.   So for me... this is the farthest towards the front that I can get on Mera before your YC Concierges shun me away because I am in the poor class. 😂😂😂

image.png.fd724b5d81362d6225aa624dff487875.png

Now on my next sailing on Symphony of the Seas... this is the view I will be allowed to enjoy even though I will be sailing like lower class Leonardo stuck down below the engine room... 🤩🤩🤩

image.thumb.png.32a6b1915ab280fa8dadcf025bd224c0.png

Just so you know, hurricane season extends through the end of November.  Despite the wishes of most cruises, the cruise line does not control the weather so the Captain is making his decision on what his experience and expertise tells him is the best for the safety of the ship and passengers.  

As reported on another CC thread, Port Everglades has been closed for hours this morning due to high winds and high seas.  Pilot boats could not safely get out of the port and reach the ships who were waiting to dock, delaying on ship's arrival by three hours. 

BTW, Bermuda has a very narrow and tricky entrance and in the current wind conditions would be unsafe to enter port. One of my favorite cruise memories was that of standing on the balcony while watching the ship navigate through the narrow channel leading into Bermuda.  You could see the edge of the channel no more than 10 - 20 feet from the side of the ship, and there were a number of turns that had to be negotiated.  Nassau, not one of our favorite ports, is easier for ships to enter when weather conditions are like they are now.  

We were on Royal Caribbean The Anthem of the Seas last November and there were also rough seas.  A hurricane was in the area so they re routed to The Dominican Republic and Haiti.  It was great. We were supposed to be doing Florida and the Bahamas. I wish MSC had an alternative route in that area.  It would make for happier passengers for sure.

4 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Bermuda has a very narrow and tricky entrance and in the current wind conditions would be unsafe to enter port

Celeb Apex got in there fine though (when Mera decided to go for the wet Florida)... and there is a ship there now... but what do I know... 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, buffet24 said:

Celeb Apex got in there fine though (when Mera decided to go for the wet Florida)... and there is a ship there now... but what do I know... 🤷‍♂️

Celebrity Apex docked in Bermuda from their transatlantic crossing so they entered Bermuda from the SE whereas Meraviglia would have entered Bermuda from a totally different direction.  This may explain why one ship chose to go to Bermuda and one did not.  I’m no meteorologist but I do know earlier this week there was some strong system in the Atlantic north of Bermuda.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Brighton Line said:

Then explain why Apex which is a larger ship is there in the sun today Wednesday and I'm in Florida in the rain with canceled shore-x for today and tomorrow.

We could have gone to Bermuda and left a day early with another sea day instead of visiting the two worse ports MSC calls at.

The Apex is not a larger ship. 

1 hour ago, jcpc said:

Celebrity Apex docked in Bermuda from their transatlantic crossing so they entered Bermuda from the SE whereas Meraviglia would have entered Bermuda from a totally different direction.  This may explain why one ship chose to go to Bermuda and one did not.  I’m no meteorologist but I do know earlier this week there was some strong system in the Atlantic north of Bermuda.  

It's an island in the middle of the ocean... Ships can plan entry from all directions... come on now... 

53 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

The Apex is not a larger ship. 

The cruise ship entry/exit channels in Bermuda are charted as being *150m* wide.   Both Apex and Mera are only about ~40m (39 and 43 respectively) wide...  If Apex (39m) made it in...  then I would think Mera can at just 43m wide... but Mera headed for stormy Florida waters instead... 🤷‍♂️

Okay, come on now!!!!!  I'm not smart enough to know anything about weather, cruise ship entry/exit channels, etc. etc.  But I do know this:  MSC Corporate made the decision, based on the information they had at the time, to not sail to Bermuda but rather to go to Bahamas.  I do not believe that the Captain of the ship solely makes this decision.....but rather corporate offices makes the decision.

Below explanation was cut and pasted from a FB group I belong to:

Hi all, I’m a degreed meteorologist, and I’ve seen all the displeasure (understandable) about the sudden switch from a Bermuda to a Bahamas cruise, so I wanted to explain what’s going on weather wise.
In the end, it’s probably for the best; however, you’re still going to get into unsettled weather down in the Bahamas. As seen here, a low pressure system will effect both days in Port Carnaveral and Nassau with rain, elevated seas of 4-8 ft, and gusts of 20-30 mph (worst of the weather looks to be Wednesday night as you head to Nassau). Meanwhile, dry weather is likely in Bermuda during this period, which is unfortunate. The main worry is that the system down in the Bahamas will track northeastward on Friday, leading to high waves, wind and rain in the western Atlantic. You’ll be on the backside of this system coming back, so the wave action (5-10 ft), wind and rain will not be as bad compared to what it would have been traveling back from Bermuda (10-20 ft waves, gusts of 30-50 mph and more rain).
I can’t speak for MSC, but they definitely decided to err on the side of caution and not have you guys deal with the higher waves and wind going from Bermuda to NYC. Unfortunately, they are putting you into crappy weather in the Bahamas, so I guess it’s a pick your poison type of scenario.

Did MSC make the correct call?  Who know?  But bottom line is:  it is what it is.  And, yes, I have been on a cruise that was re-routed due to potential bad seas and I know that each cruise line is well within their right to change itineraries.  When you cruise, you kind of have to go with the flow! 

Edited by jcpc

1 hour ago, buffet24 said:

The cruise ship entry/exit channels in Bermuda are charted as being *150m* wide.   Both Apex and Mera are only about ~40m (39 and 43 respectively) wide...  If Apex (39m) made it in...  then I would think Mera can at just 43m wide... but Mera headed for stormy Florida waters instead... 🤷‍♂️

If I was you, I’d make the best of things…not going to change a thing complaining here..the YC on your ship is a great place to be. I was there before they moved to NY..

17 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

If I was you, I’d make the best of things…not going to change a thing complaining here..the YC on your ship is a great place to be. I was there before they moved to NY..

Yes- agreed. Let's complain about the important things like what were the TV channel and movie options??!😆 During a storm-you all might want some good TV options that I love to gripe about and see it from my side of the fence!!! LOL

:flee:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, buffet24 said:

Vessel width is not the only factor under consideration by the Captain.  Surface area of the ship's sides and crosswind forecasts, status/power of side thrusters and/or azipods,  and sea state/ride conditions, among other things (whether the capt has a girl/boy friend or favorite restaurant in port 😲), all factor into the decisions 😁

36 minutes ago, Av8tor said:

Vessel width is not the only factor under consideration by the Captain.  Surface area of the ship's sides and crosswind forecasts, status/power of side thrusters and/or azipods,  and sea state/ride conditions, among other things (whether the capt has a girl/boy friend or favorite restaurant in port 😲), all factor into the decisions 😁

👌😁

On 11/15/2023 at 10:06 AM, burdcats said:

Forgot to post yesterday. Had a negative experience with a head staff member in the Yacht club, but he fixed it rather quickly and was very professional. He did however make me cry, but I think that was due to the Gala night stress and a misunderstanding on his part. I meant to let him know of an issue and he thought I was angry so was overly defensive. He made up for it this morning being super accommodating and kind. He also apologized. Humanity has emotions, and he seems to be on the better side of humanity. 

Dinner was lovely. I had a filet mignon. Not my favorite cut to be honest which is probably weird since everyone seems to love it. This one was well seasoned but still just a tad chewy. I loved my risotto. So well cooked. A lot of cruise lines overcook risotto until it becomes like a pooridge. But this was perfectly Al dente. 

the staff are so kind and welcoming. We have not needed the snacks we brought with us for the Celiac people in our group. They have been lavishing us with muffins, cookies and treats. Yummy. Love this trip. 100% better than Disney

IMG_3055.jpeg

IMG_3054.jpeg

IMG_3053.jpeg

IMG_3052.jpeg

IMG_3056.jpeg

IMG_3058.jpeg

Pretty sure know who you are talking about.  Runs around constantly but can't recall something more than five minutes out.

Chewy filet, yep, I stopped ordering after four of seven like rubber.  It had been my go to.

14 hours ago, Debde said:

Yes- agreed. Let's complain about the important things like what were the TV channel and movie options??!😆 During a storm-you all might want some good TV options that I love to gripe about and see it from my side of the fence!!! LOL

:flee:

Free is pretty much TCM, Food Network, and the one with home renos.  DW plenty happy except no Hallmark otherwise all meals would have been room service.