We "lost" potentially $17,000 by booking directly with Viking instead of using a travel agent

BigAl666

First - we are huge fans of Viking and have booked 17 cruises with them (4 river and 13 ocean) so far, including 5 from today through to March, 2025. All of them have been excellent and we highly recommend Viking to others.

My issue is with Viking's onboard credits (and loyalty recognition).

All of our cruises have been booked directly with Viking, and I have been very pleased with the service I have received from Viking agents (with one notable exception). I only recently found out, however, that Viking allows travel agents to provide up to $500 per person in non-cash incentives (e.g., onboard credits) for all cruises 15 days or over - up to $1,000 per cruise for us. For our 17 cruises, all of which have been over 15 days, that adds up to a potential loss of up to $17,000 in non-cash incentives for booking directly with Viking rather than using a travel agent!

I understand that such non-cash incentives pertain to travel agents, however I wrote to Viking, asking them if, due to our demonstrated loyalty, they would provide us with some amount of onboard credit for our 5 future cruises. I know that Viking managers do have some discretion in providing credits, etc. I should add that we always book one of the most expensive staterooms, so our 17 cruises represent a very significant amount of revenue (well into six figures) for Viking.

I was, very politely, refused by Viking Guest Services.

I should add that Viking's loyalty program - the Explorer Society - unlike other luxury cruise lines, does not recognize very frequent guests, and instead offers the same $200 booking discount benefit to Viking cruisers whether they have booked 2 or many, many cruises. This is another source of significant annoyance to me, but that's another matter.

My point in posting this is to point out to potential Viking guests that they consider very carefully booking through a travel agent rather than directly with Viking. Booking directly with Viking will mean they will lose a potentially significant amount of money, as represented by onboard credits.

We remain huge fans of the Viking "product", however we will not be booking directly with Viking on any future cruises.

• Like 4

Yes - with a caveat.

They mentioned - helpfully - that any bookings in the last 60 days can be switched to a TA. Since Viking books up very quickly, my bookings tend to be far (18 months or so) in advance. My March, 2025 booking, however, is nudging up against the 60 day mark, so I'm looking into that.

And I completely agree that just because a TA is allowed to offer $500 pp doesn't at all mean that they will offer the full $500. With Viking they really don't have to.

I'm looking to find a TA that can help me who books lots of cruises with Viking. We live in Panama (the country) and there is only one travel agent here who does cruises, and they aren't at all familiar with Viking. My usual TA is terrific for air, but doesn't do cruises.

Any suggestions - I haven't paid the final amount yet?

Following onto that, Viking offers a 3% discount for ACH-ing the final payment - can a TA do that?

Thanks!

22 minutes ago, BigAl666 said:

Following onto that, Viking offers a 3% discount for ACH-ing the final payment - can a TA do that?

Thanks!

Yes, a TA, at least here in the US, can do an ACH.

• Like 1

There are a lot of things where "booking direct" would give you the best deals.  Cruises are not one of them, unfortunately.

I mean there are instances where Viking's email codes would give you the best deals (and the TA would tell you they couldn't replicate the price/offer), but, nonetheless, try to always at least get a quote from a TA first.

Both of our Viking sailings were booked directly with Viking, but they were both after talking to a TA and they couldn't get the same offer on their end.

1 hour ago, BigAl666 said:

We remain huge fans of the Viking "product", however we will not be booking directly with Viking on any future cruises.

I credit this forum for telling me that we could get OBC by using a travel agent.

However, you don't have to book through a travel agent; simply book the cruise, either online or on a current cruise, which is what I do so that I can get the onboard discount.

Then, contact your favorite travel agent, having already confirmed that the agent does give onboard credits for cruises transferred to him.

For the agent, he gets credit for the cruise, without having to do much of anything; for the passenger, you get onboard credits. So far, I've never had to use the agent for any followup assistance, so it's a win-win for everyone.

Also, you can make payments directly to Viking; you don't *have to* use your TA to make payments for your cruise. 

Edited by longterm
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Reaniel said:

There are a lot of things where "booking direct" would give you the best deals.  Cruises are not one of them, unfortunately.

I mean there are instances where Viking's email codes would give you the best deals (and the TA would tell you they couldn't replicate the price/offer), but, nonetheless, try to always at least get a quote from a TA first.

Both of our Viking sailings were booked directly with Viking, but they were both after talking to a TA and they couldn't get the same offer on their end.

Our TA can replicate any Viking booking direct offer PLUS offer other incentives.  I think what the OP has finally realized is that they have left possible $$$ on the table because they only went Viking direct.  If that is your preference, so be it but our TA has had no trouble getting exact what Viking was offering so if that is your concern, you may want to look for a TA with Viking experience.  

• Like 2

Do not feel bad. I also missed out a lot $$$ of savings for not knowing to have a TA for the cash benefits, not just for Viking cruises but also other cruise lines.  I think of the miss as educational cost. Important thing is to realize the savings in future bookings and any current bookings that you can change/fix.

Don’t mean to add salt to wounds. Currently, my TA has a promotion which gives $200 per person for Viking river or ocean sailings, in addition to the $500 pp for cruises over 15 days long. Hope you can take advantage of the additional savings. The same TA also gives higher amounts of savings for sailings on other luxury cruise lines.

Just in case you are not aware of another extra way to save. You know you can get additional savings (in addition to the above mentioned savings) if you book while onboard Viking ships.  Lastly, don’t forget to check the CC thread “Viking Promotion Codes”.

I normally book direct first, and then transfer bookings to TA after I confirm everything in the invoice (just in case I need to change sail dates and etc.) and before submit final payment.

We book direct through our great Viking rep, make our air reservations through Air+ (if applicable) and then transfer the completed booking to our great TA.  TA sends us a "loyalty credit" check post cruise.  For our upcoming 32 night sailing we're getting $1,750.  Viking rep gets her commission and is happy, TA gets commission for doing next to nothing and is happy and I am happy with my check.  Only one possibly unhappy is Viking for paying out double commission, but they made the rules.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, longterm said:

Also, you can make payments directly to Viking; you don't *have to* use your TA to make payments for your cruise. 

After you make a deposit payment for the cruise, all further payments must be made thru your TA.

That was what my Viking agent said.  She is happy to talk to me about anything else.  This ensures my further bookings with her.  

I'm not sure if you can make a payment on MVJ after transfering a booking to a TA.

5 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

After you make a deposit payment for the cruise, all further payments must be made thru your TA.

That was what my Viking agent said.  She is happy to talk to me about anything else.  This ensures my further bookings with her.  

I'm not sure if you can make a payment on MVJ after transfering a booking to a TA.

You can pay for SS, excursions, etc. on MVJ whether or not you use a TA.  Our TA always gives us a 10 day “heads up” for final payment so there is no panic.

3 hours ago, BigAl666 said:

They mentioned - helpfully - that any bookings in the last 60 days can be switched to a TA. Since Viking books up very quickly, my bookings tend to be far (18 months or so) in advance. My March, 2025 booking, however, is nudging up against the 60 day mark, so I'm looking into that.

Thanks!

Is it really 60 days to do a transfer?

Anyone?

I have heard and was told it is 30 days.

And if you book a last minute cruise because of all the Viking promotions, you must transfer the booking sooner.  Something like 24 to 48 hours.

1 minute ago, PRH said:

You can pay for SS, excursions, etc. on MVJ whether or not you use a TA.  Our TA always gives us a 10 day “heads up” for final payment so there is no panic.

That is not what I was addressing.

And you TA likely gives you a "heads up" because TA's will make a final payment requirement earlier in order to ensure the Viking payment is timely.

1 hour ago, MikeyB said:

Not true. I paid the balance of our next cruise directly to Viking; I don't recall whether it was by phone or on the site.

I can understand your frustration in learning how much you could have saved in OBC by using a TA.  I began hearing about the amounts a TA is allowed to offer by Viking here on CC.  After 5 cruises, we asked for a recomnendation from someone I met on CC and then in person on our cruise.  Its a TA who is very familiar with Viking and gives the highest allowable OBC.  I booked our next cruise directly with Viking and transferred it to our new TA within the required 30 days.  I booked another cruise a few months later but had the TA do it for me.  It was for 2025 with no cabins near sold out and i told her exactly what cabin i wanted and she got it.  We are a bit specific in our cabin locations and if there was limited availability i would have made the reservation directly with Viking so i could review room availability and decide on the spot.  The only differences i found is that i can no longer request a Guest Statement through MVJ and have to ask our TA to send it to us.  The Viking invoice does not show the OBC from the TA.  It only shows the OBC that Viking sometimes gives in a promotion.  I also receive an invoice from the TA in their name and the TA OBC is listed there.  I can have the TA do as much or as little as I want.  The TA reminds us when final payment is due, we tell her how to pay it - either CC or bank transfer for the 3.3% discount.  It is not paid early but on the due date or the date I say it should be paid.  If I refer someone else, we will receive a referral check from the TA after the cruise is completed.  Friends were joining us on our next cruise so i referred them.  I don't mind at all that our CC friend will receive a referral fee from us as i asked them for the name of their TA.  What I did mind was a guy on a cruise once "working the room" with a stack of his TA cards asking people if they use a TA and then trying to "sell" them.  Totally inappropriate.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, longterm said:

Not true. I paid the balance of our next cruise directly to Viking; I don't recall whether it was by phone or on the site.

I don't doubt you.  Many of us have mentioned on these boards that Viking agents are not as "sharp" as they should be.  But my statement is still true.

I should add why.

Transferring your booking to a TA hands the total responsibility of your booking over to a third party.

They are then "in theory" the people you need to speak to about any inquiries you have.  Including payments.

Makes sense in that they need to do something in order to earn an inflated commision.

And, yes, it is inflated if they can turn over to me as much as $1K! 

3 hours ago, MikeyB said:

Sorry to disagree with you @MikeyB.  We always book through Viking.  We immediately inform our TA via email what we have booked with the booking number so that she can transfer the booking.  Viking always informs us that our final payment is due via email.  We phone Viking directly with the e-cheque information in order to get the discount.  They are always happy to take our payment and that's when the LA office is most efficient.  😊

3 hours ago, MikeyB said:

Is it really 60 days to do a transfer?

Anyone?

I have heard and was told it is 30 days.

And if you book a last minute cruise because of all the Viking promotions, you must transfer the booking sooner.  Something like 24 to 48 hours.

This is a snip from Viking Guest Services reply:

"You can book your future cruises with a travel agent. Travel agents can also takeover bookings if the booking was made within 60days."

Just now, Squawkman said:

This is just one reason I have been using the same Viking agent for several years. One big one is the “welcome back” discount if you book any cruise within 2 weeks of disembarkation - something I understand TAs can’t do. And there’s personal attention for anything Viking including rebooking for additional savings, etc. For example, if I have an issue, I call him first and he’ll best transfer me to the appropriate place for resolution if he can’t resolve it himself. Another example - when we were quarantined for Covid, he called or texted us every day to see how we were and how we were being treated. Yes, I know I can book with him and transfer to a TA, but having him involved throughout the booking is worth more to us than a few hundred OBC.

How I wish this was the case.  After now 8 Viking cruises, we have tried to email back the person that booked us or call them and they are gone from Viking.  Or, they just don't respond.  You are lucky that you have been able to maintain the same Viking agent.

23 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

Yes, I know I can book with him and transfer to a TA, but having him involved throughout the booking is worth more to us than a few hundred OBC.

This why we no longer use a TA.  The relatively small OBC isn't worth it.   Disappointing to hear about the other Viking staff, but our Viking Agent is extremely knowledgeable and responsive.  

• Like 3