Requesting OBC/Stockperks

ShipWalker

Requested shareholder OBC w/Princess on Saturday & just now received an email with this link to use instead to download an app.

Noted HAL was listed, also. Has this been process been implemented w/HAL, too?

https://www.stockperks.com/carnivalcorp

"Dear ShipWalker,

Thank you for your request for an onboard credit as part of the Carnival Corp & plc. Shareholder Benefit Program. 

Carnival Corp is implementing a more automated onboard credit request process in partnership with Stockperks.  

Please go to www.stockperks.com/carnivalcorp for all details about the program and how to apply for your onboard credit via the Stockperks app. 

Thank you for being a CCL shareholder!  We look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Kind regards, 

Russel R.

Commercial Compliance Support"

Edited by ShipWalker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

After registering onto Stockperks using my iPhone the app kept shutting off. Received this in response. To their credit, Stockperks responded within an hour of my sending them an email.

"Hi ShipWalker - thanks for reaching out.  Some iPhone users are having this crashing issue that we're looking into right now.  I will let you know once we have this resolved.

I appreciate your patience - we'll get you your credit!

Kind regards"

I clicked on the stockperks link and immediately became very hesitant to give this company my information. Scam alert identifies it as legit, but the owners husband is the is the CTO of Weworks  (which recently filed for bankruptcy).

In fact,  their homepage it boasts the following  6 companies affiliated with stockperks.com. Three of the 6 have already filed for bankruptcy (weworks, rite aid, smiledirect) and the other 3 aren't companies I'd brag about being affiliated with. 

The concept of hiring out a company to manage stock perks is good, but this is a who's who list of poor performers. 

image.thumb.png.013c7f8ea95f64704749cf50630cf1c7.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK, we have a big issue with this Stockperks App. I just downloaded the app and subsequently registered after "skipping" the personal information section. Then used the default "Plaid" option which subsequently displayed one of their stockbroker selections that I have stock with. I then clicked on my broker's name and it took me to their Login screen where they want me to log on.

This is where we have a huge issue. From this point on, the Stockperks app would have our login and password information and access to all of the stocks and mutual funds in our account. Sorry, that's not happening.

NOTE: We actually checked out Stockperks app regarding an upcoming Princess cruise and applying SHB OBC to the booking. But when I saw this topic over here on the HAL forum, I thought I'd post what we found out just in case HAL was added to the mix at some later date. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

25 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

But Carnival is saying this is the only way we get our benefits???

Other than on the StockPerk website, where exactly is Carnival saying this?

2022 US Annual Report (carnivalcorp.com)

I know on the Princess website, Contact Us: Princess Cruises, you can now apply for SHB through an online interface. I tried looking for one on the HAL site, but couldn't find one. 

image.thumb.png.f0c5738b98ebbca8f32ce2df33255046.png

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Other than on the StockPerk website, where exactly is Carnival saying this?

Umm. That is the subject and first (and fourth) post in this thread. I have just emailed Holland America for clarification.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

. Sorry, that's not happening.

Exactly my point. I will literally leave money on the table before I allow this company access to my trading account (until/unless I can be more assured that everything they touch doesn't file Ch 11 lol). 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Umm. That is the subject and first (and fourth) post in this thread. I have just emailed Holland America for clarification.

The OP's post is referring to a Princess SHB request through the StockPerk app. I just referenced another way Princess is allowing you to submit your SHB request, which we will be doing for 3 upcoming PCL cruises in the next few days. The 4th post is quoting some HAL CVP and again from StockPerks.

So, if someone doesn't desire to go through this new unknown third party StockPerk process where you give them access to your stockbroker account, you won't be able to get SHB OBC? I guess time will tell how that will work out for those that don't have the means and/or desire to do so. 

Now, this may all be a done deal. But, sorry, StockPerk is not getting access to our brokerage information, especially not how it is currently implemented.

• Like 1

I will not be giving my login information to this company. They don't have the need to have full time access. Having said that, I feel that the reason they are requesting the information is so that they can verify ownership of the stock while actually on the cruise to prevent what has been suggested by several people that the stock be purchased, the benefit received then the stock gets sold almost immediately

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

So, if someone doesn't desire to go through this new unknown third party StockPerk process where you give them access to your stockbroker account, you won't be able to get SHB OBC? I guess time will tell how that will work out for those that don't have the means and/or desire to do so. 

You are correct, I leapt to conclusion that the new way was going to be the only way. But based on other corporation actions, it was a presumption, not an assumption!

I will go back to USPS mailing the information if necessary.

3 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I will not be giving my login information to this company. They don't have the need to have full time access. Having said that, I feel that the reason they are requesting the information is so that they can verify ownership of the stock while actually on the cruise to prevent what has been suggested by several people that the stock be purchased, the benefit received then the stock gets sold almost immediately

I know you're only hypothesizing, but that's an even worse scenario. Just the fact that StockPerk will be able to search your brokerage account anytime they feel the urge is just wrong. Sorry.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

You are correct, I leapt to conclusion that the new way was going to be the only way. But based on other corporation actions, it was a presumption, not an assumption!

I will go back to USPS mailing the information if necessary.

This is all "beta testing" right now using the applicable cruise line's CVPs and, of course, StockPerk. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out in 3-6 months.

On a similar note, this past June PCL implemented a new policy that said a person couldn't apply for both Military OBC and Shareholder OBC. Just one or the other. That lasted for about 3 months until they rescinded that policy, under probably a lot of pressure from various guests. That's in fact why we will be reapplying for SHB on 3 upcoming PCL cruises, since both my DW and I are retired military and lost our SHB when we refared those bookings in July and August, after the new policy had been implemented. But that policy has been subsequently rescinded. The only change now is that the MOBC is nonrefundable.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I know you're only hypothesizing, but that's an even worse scenario. Just the fact that StockPerk will be able to search your brokerage account anytime they feel the urge is just wrong. Sorry.

44 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Note that in my original post I stated that my reason for NOT giving them the login information was that they didn't have a need for it.

• Like 2

OK. Panic time over. I'm now a believer in the StockPerks method. The key is to select the Alinea option, as it takes you to the "Upload brokerage statement" option. Whatever you do, don't select the Plaid option where they start asking for your Broker's information, etc.  

image.png.227bfe8917d3439e7f9e26577ad49f38.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

When I decided to purchase CCL shares for the sole purpose of getting Shareholder OBC, I set up a separate account with a "major no fee financial trading company" (starts with the letter F) and only have my 100 CCL shares with them. It is isolated from all else.  I did this so I wouldn't have to redact a ton of stuff from my statements etc.....

Maybe I was clairvoyant.....most likely NOT.

• Like 5

I don't have a horse in this race but I do recall several threads over the last little while about "do I still have to own the stock, when the cruise happens". Clearly with the thought of claiming the credit and ditching the stock before the cruise. To me that is a classless move and actually fraud. If you claim a stockholder credit you better still have the stock when you spend the benefit.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I don't have a horse in this race but I do recall several threads over the last little while about "do I still have to own the stock, when the cruise happens". Clearly with the thought of claiming the credit and ditching the stock before the cruise. To me that is a classless move and actually fraud. If you claim a stockholder credit you better still have the stock when you spend the benefit.

We agree. For us we purchased the stock back when it was at $48 a share. But since then we’ve gotten almost $2000 back in SOBC and set to get another $1500 in SOBC from the current cruises we have booked through 2025. Just imagine the return over the next 10 years in you were to only have to pay $1300 for 100 CCL shares. Why would someone even think of buying 100 shares for such a short term gain in SOBC from only 1 cruise? 🤔

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

To me that is a classless move and actually fraud. 

12 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Why would someone even think of buying 100 shares for such a short term gain in SOBC from only 1 cruise? 🤔

I'm not following. Not all of us who are active traders are classless and fraudulent.

I bet I've bought/sold CCL 25 times since resumption in July of 2021. Heck, I've bought/sold it at least six times since I applied for my shareholder credit last June. I would never make a business decision based on whether or not I should be holding a stock on a certain date. In the last six months I've made way more than the $250 SOBC ccl has applied, they can have that back if they want it. 

image.thumb.png.a6c84010a7572d5044af22fcf717bc9b.png

Above is the performance of all three cruise lines over the last 6 months. As you can see, this stock is volatile and has proven very lucrative for swing traders. Heck; Just look at the last week. If you bought 100 shares on Nov 1st at $11.25 you could have sold it one week later on Nov 8th for $12.90. A gain of $165 (of course, you will need to pay short term gain taxes). That one trade will yield more than a 7 day cruise SOBC even after taxes.

Side note; what's to prevent someone from buying the stock a couple weeks prior to cruising, getting the OBC, and then selling at the end of the cruise? Never intending to hold long term. No fraud there as all the terms and conditions were met.

For those who aren't active traders I can see purchasing cruise stock and just sitting on it for the SOBC. It's pretty easy to do and I suspect most people take this road. However; active traders play the game differently. That doesn't make us classless or fraudulent. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm not following. Not all of us who are active traders are classless and fraudulent.

I bet I've bought/sold CCL 25 times since resumption in July of 2021. Heck, I've bought/sold it at least six times since I applied for my shareholder credit last June. I would never make a business decision based on whether or not I should be holding a stock on a certain date. In the last six months I've made way more than the $250 SOBC ccl has applied, they can have that back if they want it. 

image.thumb.png.a6c84010a7572d5044af22fcf717bc9b.png

Above is the performance of all three cruise lines over the last 6 months. As you can see, this stock is volatile and has proven very lucrative for swing traders. Heck; Just look at the last week. If you bought 100 shares on Nov 1st at $11.25 you could have sold it one week later on Nov 8th for $12.90. A gain of $165 (of course, you will need to pay short term gain taxes). That one trade will yield more than a 7 day cruise SOBC even after taxes.

Side note; what's to prevent someone from buying the stock a couple weeks prior to cruising, getting the OBC, and then selling at the end of the cruise? Never intending to hold long term. No fraud there as all the terms and conditions were met.

For those who aren't active traders I can see purchasing cruise stock and just sitting on it for the SOBC. It's pretty easy to do and I suspect most people take this road. However; active traders play the game differently. That doesn't make us classless or fraudulent. 

True. Day trading is a whole different thing. I believe @Blackduck59 was referring to the comment made by @richwmn in post #13, at least that's how I took it, rather than applying it to a professional day trader. In any event with the discovery of the StockPerks "Alivea" option, providing login credentials is no longer an issue.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

True. Day trading is a whole different thing. I believe @Blackduck59 was referring to the comment made by @richwmn in post #13, at least that's how I took it, rather than applying it to a professional day trader. In any event with the discovery of the StockPerks "Alivea" option, providing login credentials is no longer an issue.

Someone could easily buy the stock right before sailing and sell it while waiting in the taxi line at debarkation, never intending to hold the stock longer than a couple weeks. This would meet all the CCL terms. I don't see how that's classless or fraudulent. 

BTW: I'm far from a professional trader. Hope I didn't come off that way. I trade for entertainment and to support my travel addiction 😄 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2