Panorama Nov-Dec 2023 sailings cancelled!

weezal

2 hours ago, ashkir said:

😮

I hope you're doing okay!

I got rebooked with almost 3 grand on board credit. Gonna do some luxury shopping lol 

Just teasing you, we're actually on Radiance in about 10 days after getting bounced off the broken Panorama!

I've heard that the Panorama needs to go to Portland for repairs on one of her azipods.  In Portland there is a large submersible drydock.  But the ship is too tall to go under the fixed bridges on the mighty Columbia River.

She could dock at Astoria, Oregon where her stacks could be disassembled, which would allow her to fit under the bridges and continue on to Portland.

If it isn't possible to do that in Astoria she might have to travel to Canada to have the stacks removed and then back down to Portland.

8 minutes ago, OddJob said:

I've heard that the Panorama needs to go to Portland for repairs on one of her azipods.  In Portland there is a large submersible drydock.  But the ship is too tall to go under the fixed bridges on the mighty Columbia River.

She could dock at Astoria, Oregon where her stacks could be disassembled, which would allow her to fit under the bridges and continue on to Portland.

If it isn't possible to do that in Astoria she might have to travel to Canada to have the stacks removed and then back down to Portland.

She's turning into Astoria/Portland as I type.

24 minutes ago, Luckysll said:

John Heald just announced that the Dec 9 and Dec 16 cruises have also been canceled.

Yeah, he said they are taking her to Portland, and the reason for the additional cancellations is they need more time because the bridge is indeed causing the removal of the whale tail.  So Astoria (remove whale tail) -> Dry Dock (fix azipod?) -> Astoria (install whale tail).

Ouch - sympathies to those impacted.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

I wonder if they do a good "fix" job will the ship have to go over to Asia and then back.....was looking at the cruise back from Asia but far tooooooo many seas days......??

Asked and answered several times. Yes, she will be going. According to @chengkp75, there are certain inspections that can't legally be performed prior to Sept. '24. Plus they have cruises sold. These are completely independent events.

• Like 1

My fingers and toes are crossed too! We are on the NYE cruise to celebrate hubby’s 70th which is NYE. It’s been planned for well over a year and four couples are joining us. We are all in the Havana area and we have the aft wrap on the 6th deck. It’s an 8 day and we are all looking forward to visiting LaPaz too. I just informed the group and we are going to stay optimistic, no other choice. If it doesn’t happen then it wasn’t meant to be after all, something better must be around the corner, staying positive no matter what! 

Edited by LaRue1975
  • Like 1

seeing the panorama in Portland is kind of cool. I really wish carnival can expand west coast sailings with things like:

Long Beach > San Diego > Ensenada > Catalina > Long Beach

Long Beach > Santa Barbara > San Francisco > Astoria/Portland > Victoria > Seattle

Long Beach > Santa Barbara > San Francisco > Ensenada > Catalina > Long Beach

There's so many awesome places along the west coast. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ashkir said:

seeing the panorama in Portland is kind of cool. I really wish carnival can expand west coast sailings with things like:

Long Beach > Santa Barbara > San Francisco > Astoria/Portland > Victoria > Seattle

Princess does a decent job on those. I wonder how much in demand they are?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ashkir said:

#1 - royal caribbean used to do it years ago before they left LA. 

#2 Long Beach to Seattle is not a legal cruise. Would have to end in Vancouver.

#3 would reverse order so ensenada is last, since Catalina won't have immigraiton facilities for US border patrol.  

Edited by smarterman64

3 minutes ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

What would be the difference of a Long Beach to Seattle cruise or a Seattle to Hawaii, compared to a Tampa to Baltimore which Pride is scheduled to do next year?

It has to do with the Passenger Vessel Services Act, which generally requires any ship that transports pax from one port to another (i.e. not a closed loop cruise) to be US registered and staffed by US crew ("Coastwise Qualified").  If the ship is repositioning from one port to another, it may or may not choose to carry pax, and may or may not get a waiver as a result depending on what port(s) it stops at along the way, so there may or may not be fines/penalties imposed.

There are three common transportation violations, set forth below, that can occur when a non-coastwise-qualified vessel transports passengers between U.S. coastwise ports.

First, a non-coastwise-qualified vessel transports a passenger directly between U.S. coastwise ports. (19 CFR § 4.80a(b)(1)). For example, a violative coastwise transportation occurs when a passenger embarks in San Francisco and is carried to Seattle, where he/she disembarks.

Second, a non-coastwise-qualified vessel transports a passenger on a voyage solely to one or more coastwise ports and the passenger disembarks or goes ashore temporarily at a coastwise port. (19 CFR § 4.80a(b)(1)). For example, a non-coastwise-qualified vessel that embarks a passenger in Los Angeles and transports him/her to one or more of the Hawaiian Islands where he/she goes ashore temporarily and returns to Los Angeles where he/she disembarks, violates the PVSA.

Third, a non-coastwise-qualified vessel transports a passenger between U.S. coastwise ports by way of a “nearby foreign port.” (19 CFR § 4.80a(b)(2)). For example, a violative transportation occurs when a non-coastwise-qualified vessel that embarks a passenger in Los Angeles, transports him/her to the Hawaiian Islands and Ensenada, Mexico then proceeds to San Diego where the passenger disembarks. Ensenada, Mexico is a “nearby foreign port” pursuant to the CBP regulations. A “nearby foreign port” is defined as "any port in North America, Central America, the Bermuda Islands, or the West Indies (including the Bahama Islands, but not including the Leeward Islands of the Netherlands Antilles, i.e., Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao)." 19 CFR § 4.80a(a)(2).

There are exceptions, which require a stop in a "distant foreign port":

However, there is no violation of the PVSA when a passenger is on a voyage to one or more coastwise ports and a “distant foreign port” or ports (whether or not the voyage includes a nearby foreign port or ports) and the passenger disembarks at a coastwise port other than the port of embarkation, provided the passenger has proceeded with the vessel to a “distant foreign port.” See 19 CFR § 4.80a(b)(3). For example, a noncoastwise-qualified vessel that embarks a passenger in Miami, transports him/her to Aruba, then proceeds to Key West where the passenger disembarks does not violate the PVSA. A port in Aruba is a “distant foreign port” pursuant to the CBP regulations. 19 CFR § 4.80a(a)(3).

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/ICP Pax Vessel Services Act Apr 2010.pdf

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

What would be the difference of a Long Beach to Seattle cruise or a Seattle to Hawaii, compared to a Tampa to Baltimore which Pride is scheduled to do next year?

For a one way cruise, the ship needs to visit a distant foreign port of call that is not Canada or Mexico. There is not that many ports on the west coast that meet this requirement 

On the east coast, the reposition cruises goes to one of the ABC islands to meet the distant foreign port of call requirement 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

As noted by others, the Pride cruise will need to visit a "distant foreign port", which will most likely be the "ABC" islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao), which qualify as distant foreign ports.  The closest port that would qualify on the West Coast (without going through the Panama Canal), would be Buenaventura, Colombia, though that is not a cruise port.  The distance between Tampa and Aruba is 1300+ miles, while from Long Beach to Buenaventura is 3000+ miles, so going down there to turn around and go back up to Seattle or Hawaii is just not feasible since it is about 7 days each way from Long Beach.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2023 at 6:07 PM, clairebearinaus said:

We were on the December 2 sailing too.  Impossible to postpone as we're coming from Australia and have locked in US city visits on either side.

We're just finalising plans to fly to Puerto Vallarta instead.  Very pleased with Carnival's decision to refund us so that could happen, instead of potentially coming all this way for a cruise full of sea days!

Sounds like a great plan to me!  We love Puerto Vallarta. 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 6:45 PM, jsglow said:

BTW, Panorama is still docked in Long Beach. I suppose she has until the wee hours to clear the dock for Miracle in the morning. I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty confident they can't get a second ship tied up on that pier, even way out at the end in an inaccessible position relative to the terminal. 

We are on the MIracle next week. (21st)  Do you think we can park in the structure instead of offsite since Panorama won't be there?  I just got an email update to our sailing, but it still shows the notice on it that parking for Miracle is offsite. 

As of today, Friday the 17th, the Panorama is still parked in Astoria, OR.  :No news on how the ship will get under the bridge yet.  Crew members are welcomed in town and out and about.  Latest news from local paper is that the Ship will be here until Dec. 4th.  Not saying this is factual.  then on to Portland, OR for repairs.  Saw the Ship twice today, great view, weather beautiful to view Ship.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NW Pacific said:

As of today, Friday the 17th, the Panorama is still parked in Astoria, OR.  :No news on how the ship will get under the bridge yet.  Crew members are welcomed in town and out and about.  Latest news from local paper is that the Ship will be here until Dec. 4th.  Not saying this is factual.  then on to Portland, OR for repairs.  Saw the Ship twice today, great view, weather beautiful to view Ship.

This is good news, thanks! If you could keep us updated on what you actually see happening with the ship that would be great. If you see a large crane lifting the whale tail off the ship let us know, that would be great news! I am booked on the the NYE cruise and a schedule from Columbia River Pilots was posted on our Facebook page today. It says the ship is moving up river on Monday which sounds great but if you scroll down it says it is not sailing out until December 31st, yikes! Both are estimates but it is causing stress in the group. Happy to hear the crew is out and about enjoying their time off. They are wonderful and thank you for welcoming the Panorama and crew. 

33 minutes ago, AZ-EmptyNesters said:

I'm seriously starting to feel nauseous about our Christmas cruise that is scheduled to leave Long Beach on the 23rd.  

I also appreciate the updates as dishearting as they may be.

Facts are always the best answer.  At the end of the day, they will be the reason that you wither sail or do not sail.  While hard to do, time solves all these things, some happily and others less so. Whether the glass full, half full or empty, it is what it is.  Been there in all the possible scenarios, relax as much as possible, it will play out no matter how worried you get.  

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1