Sofa bed and once a day cleaning

coolio111

With the new change of once a day cleaning, how does it work when a sofa bed is in use.

Does the room steward come in and covert the bed morning and evening?

How has it worked for you? and did you have morning or evening service.

Thanks

2 hours ago, coolio111 said:

With the new change of once a day cleaning, how does it work when a sofa bed is in use.

Does the room steward come in and covert the bed morning and evening?

How has it worked for you? and did you have morning or evening service.

Thanks

We were on Anthem in June and requested evening service.

Our room steward advised that the sofa bed would be left out all day, as standard. We weren’t happy with this as it takes up quite a bit of space in the cabin, making it difficult to use in the day. When we told him our concern, he offered to come in the morning and put it away and then back out as part of our full service.

In reality, he would come in the morning and literally just fold over the covers so that they only cover the single side of the sofa and put the ‘extra part’ back beneath the sofa, without doing any other part of the service. The covers were never removed during the day, but this didn’t cause a problem and was actually quite nice for an afternoon nap! 😅 He would then come back while we were at dinner and perform a full service, including the sofa bed setup, towels, ice, etc.

On Explorer this year they would only visit the room once. The use of a sofa bed made no difference to that. Basically, if you don’t like it, take it up with Miami. Make no difference escalating it. They all had the same company line. 

Edited by Billy Baltic
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, GJustice said:

No personal experience but I've heard that sofa-bed and Pullman will be made up/put away morning and evening regardless of what time you have your "full service" visit.

That's the experience with the sofa bed on recent Oasis sail.  Made selection for morning service.  Sofa bed was closed and opened in the evenings.

I was on Wonder in April and the attendant gave us once a day evening service and pulled the bed out every evening. He did not put it back in the mornings. I definitely missed the twice a day service specifically for this reason. 

I made a YouTube video about this and griped about it towards the end of the video: 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

That's the experience with the sofa bed on recent Oasis sail.  Made selection for morning service.  Sofa bed was closed and opened in the evenings.

Again, this must be dependent on the person. My experience was on Oasis 5 weeks ago. Had evening service, she pulled the bed out the first night and it was never put back again

This is my only gripe with once a day service. Especially in the case of a pullman bed that will block parts of the room if it is left out all day. I don't need the room cleaned twice a day. But the rooms are so tiny, that you lose major square footage with a sofa bed pulled out, or a pullman in the way.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, laura85 said:

This is my only gripe with once a day service. Especially in the case of a pullman bed that will block parts of the room if it is left out all day. I don't need the room cleaned twice a day. But the rooms are so tiny, that you lose major square footage with a sofa bed pulled out, or a pullman in the way.

100% agree. It’s a major inconvenience when you use a sofa bed. Especially poorly thought out at a time that they are increasing the gratuity. 

• Like 3

To anyone that didn't get the "expected" service (both morning and evening bed open/close) did you ASK them to do it or just "expect" it to happen and gripe when it wasn't?

IF you DID ASK and it wasn't done, what did you do?

I've NEVER had problems with service, but I DO ask for things rather than expecting them to be mind readers.

• Like 1

We'll use the sofa bed for our cruise next year.  Haven't decided if we're doing morning or evening service.  Here's our plan...

* Ask the steward to come back an extra time to put up/take down the sofa bed.

* If he/she can't/won't, then (gasp!) we'll do it ourselves.

We've stayed in plenty of hotels with sofa beds and NEVER expected/asked a hotel employee to set up/put it away.  We've even put sheets on it.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, GJustice said:

To anyone that didn't get the "expected" service (both morning and evening bed open/close) did you ASK them to do it or just "expect" it to happen and gripe when it wasn't?

I've NEVER had problems with service, but I DO ask for things rather than expecting them to be mind readers.

I asked our room steward on the Harmony last spring to put away the sofa bed in the morning. We chose evening service.  He said no. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GJustice said:

From the answers in this thread and another one related to once a day service, it sounds like people that have brought it up have gotten mixed results.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

We'll use the sofa bed for our cruise next year.  Haven't decided if we're doing morning or evening service.  Here's our plan...

* Ask the steward to come back an extra time to put up/take down the sofa bed.

* If he/she can't/won't, then (gasp!) we'll do it ourselves.

We've stayed in plenty of hotels with sofa beds and NEVER expected/asked a hotel employee to set up/put it away.  We've even put sheets on it.  

Last time I checked service on a cruise ship was always better than a hotel. 

• Like 1

I would just close it myself in the morning and get late service while at dinner and have the attendant set it up for sleeping at that time.

We are not in the cabin at all from when we go to dinner until its time to go to bed.

3 hours ago, GJustice said:

We ASKED and escalated. Made no difference. Any suggestions?