Balcony discount for solo travelers with 340 points

Hello Everyone,

I have several cruises booked for next year that I booked at Next Cruise while onboard.  The balcony discount I used to get was $250 if booked more than 6 months out.  I do book as a solo and have recently reached 340 C & A points.  Now I'm being told that I'll only receive $188 discount since I'm getting a "single" rate.  

I'm definitely not getting a single rate, it's a 1.5 rate as I've been told.  I did book a "single" rate when I booked a solo cabin on the Anthem and it was half of the cruise fare.  What I'm paying for my upcoming cruises is not half of the cost. 

Has anyone else had this issue?  

Thanks so much!

Mommomporkchop

Kathy

1 hour ago, mommomporkchop said:

Hello Everyone,

I have several cruises booked for next year that I booked at Next Cruise while onboard.  The balcony discount I used to get was $250 if booked more than 6 months out.  I do book as a solo and have recently reached 340 C & A points.  Now I'm being told that I'll only receive $188 discount since I'm getting a "single" rate.  

I'm definitely not getting a single rate, it's a 1.5 rate as I've been told.  I did book a "single" rate when I booked a solo cabin on the Anthem and it was half of the cruise fare.  What I'm paying for my upcoming cruises is not half of the cost. 

Has anyone else had this issue?  

Thanks so much!

Mommomporkchop

Kathy

The balcony discount is a stateroom discount and not per person.  For that reason they take the balcony discount off the stateroom total and then take the new total and multiply that by .75 to calculate your 150% solo supplement.  That is the way it has always been calculated.

Your DP340 is not meant to be half the cost.  it is a 150% solo supplement which is 75% of the cost of the cruise fare for 2 guests.

Solo cabins are entirely different and not eligible for the 150% solo supplement

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Ourusualbeach and nelbu explained to me that with the DP340 your balcony discount is lowered ..maybe by the same percentage you got off?

I thought I was getting $250 off but as a solo with DP340 you dont get the whole discount 

@Ourusualbeachcan explain better, but sounds right to me.

When I apply the DP340, my balcony discount is lowered to $188.00.  However, I've had some sails where the discount is $177.00 and don't know why.  Called once Royal CS and they could not give me a straight answer.😀

I've calculated that there's a 25% haircut applied to the balcony discount when using the promo code.  The balcony discount for my 11-night Explorer sail was reduced to $263.00 which represents 75% from the allowable $350.00

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The balcony discount is a stateroom discount and not per person.  For that reason they take the balcony discount off the stateroom total and then take the new total and multiply that by .75 to calculate your 150% solo supplement.  That is the way it has always been calculated.

Your DP340 is not meant to be half the cost.  it is a 150% solo supplement which is 75% of the cost of the cruise fare for 2 guests.

Solo cabins are entirely different and not eligible for the 150% solo supplement

@Ourusualbeach I was doing mock bookings of repositioning sails, and the system would not allow the single supplement code.  These sails were not listed in the blackout periods.  Do I have an old list of benefits.  

Hello,

The good news is that my single special bookings' prices for 2025 were eventually correct by day three - even though I sent them the workings on day one.

The bad news is that the bookings are not showing the NextCruise Certificate's OBC.

Why am I not surprised?

Regards,

Cublet

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

This side of the pond, the DP340 code produced 'Not applicable' until a week or so ago for all weeks inside or outside the 'blackout dates'. Now the code is recognised and produces  a message that the discounts will be applied at checkout but when you get there the discount is a nice round Zero.

Regards,

Cublet

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Have you tried calling in to have it applied.

I have had no issues in getting it applied.

No.  I like to browse and see pricing. 
I’ll be on Harmony this Sunday and meet face to face with on board agent. 
However, it’s frustrating as I like to do my own research and planning. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nelblu said:

No.  I like to browse and see pricing. 
I’ll be on Harmony this Sunday and meet face to face with on board agent. 
However, it’s frustrating as I like to do my own research and planning. 

Pretty easy to calculate what the pricing would be by comparing cost of 2 in a cabin for various sailings.  pricing will stay relative applying the same discount to each comparison

44 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

My latest booking required someone at Royal to work out a single special price - it was quite simple - they just halved the couple's price.

Regards,

Cublet

Are you telling me that even the agents at Royal are not able to access the solo supplement code.  That's crazy, it's been almost a month since the new sailing came out and IT has not updated their promo codes.

15 hours ago, nelblu said:

Are you telling me that even the agents at Royal are not able to access the solo supplement code.  That's crazy, it's been almost a month since the new sailing came out and IT has not updated their promo codes.

Hello,

Yes, I am saying exactly that - for the UK at least.

Though there is an alternative - the agents don't know about, or how to use, the DP340 code. [Refer to an earlier post somewhere on a lack of documented processes.]

As a lapsed accountant, I was expecting there to ge a giant formula that worked-out the prices based on the standard, but I was told that each and every possible permutation/combination of sub prices are worked-out individually and input manually.

One of the many things this tells me is that Royal is only really interested in the 'hardware' ie ships and anything that supports or underpins the ships, 'software', comes a distant second in terms of both money and effort

Regards,

Cublet.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, nelblu said:

It may not be an IT issue.   When a particular discount code isn't available that may be intentional.  That's on revenue management.  Can't blame IT when they don't want a discount to work.

• Like 1