All-Aboard?

Cruizn2024

Probably a silly newbie question...how soon before leaving port is the typical all-aboard? The published itineraries show port arrival and departure times, but not the actual times that we can leave the ship or must be back aboard. Is there a rule of thumb? I ask because I'm trying to decide if early dinner seating will constantly be a problem when many of our ports-of-call end at 6pm. I want to maximize our exploration time!

59 minutes ago, Cruizn2024 said:

Probably a silly newbie question...how soon before leaving port is the typical all-aboard? The published itineraries show port arrival and departure times, but not the actual times that we can leave the ship or must be back aboard. Is there a rule of thumb? I ask because I'm trying to decide if early dinner seating will constantly be a problem when many of our ports-of-call end at 6pm. I want to maximize our exploration time!

Not a silly question in fact exactly the opposite.

Usually an hour but don't look on that as a target. For a relaxed experience we aim to be back onboard an hour before the "all aboard time".

We prefer to do less well rather than to rush, rush, rush.

Our tips to maximise your day are:

1) book a local guide and share with another couple from your Roll Call.

2) take out lunch it takes far to long (coffee and cakes work just great).

E) reduce shopping unless you are visiting a truly local market.

Also the times can and do change right up until you are docked ( we had this in Gibraltar in October). 

We have 6.30 pm dining which works great for eat first theatre after. The theatre times are fixed regardless of the sailing times.

Relax and enjoy.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cruizn2024 said:

Probably a silly newbie question...how soon before leaving port is the typical all-aboard? The published itineraries show port arrival and departure times, but not the actual times that we can leave the ship or must be back aboard. Is there a rule of thumb?

The published itineraries are usually the times the passengers will have in port, not the actual arrival and departure times. If the itinerary has 8-5 listed, the ship will most likely arrive before 7 and depart sometime after 5:30, with all aboard at 5.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RedIguana said:

The published itineraries are usually the times the passengers will have in port, not the actual arrival and departure times. If the itinerary has 8-5 listed, the ship will most likely arrive before 7 and depart sometime after 5:30, with all aboard at 5.

That has not been my experience. My experience is that when the port time ends at 5, all aboard is at 4:30. 

OP, it really depends on how long you want to get ready for dinner. If port time ends at 6, you all aboard will usually be 5:30 if its not a tender port. I try to get back an hour before all aboard, so would plan on being back by 4:30. If you just want to shower and change, a 6pm dinner time would be fine.